A Digital Age Deserves A Digital Leader

Dual boot ...two hdd's..

Dual boot ...two hdd's..

Postby Blue 4 » Sat Jun 27, 2009 12:34 pm

I am running a computer with Vista Ultimate X64 on two separate hdd's. My C drive has SP1 on it and is corrupted and will not accept upgrade to SP2. MS Tech Support, after a few weeks working with me via email, sent me a DVD with Ultimate X64 and SP1 on it ( I had originally installed an OEM version of Ultimate X64 without SP1)...instructed me to try the upgrde method with that to see if I could fix the corrupted files and then update to SP2...didn't work. To make a long story short I clean-loaded Ultimate X64 on a new, separate disk D. Used VistaBootPro 3.3 to manage my boot issue ( and can boot to the new D drive with it), copied all my stuff over to my new D drive and now I would like to physically remove the C drive disk from my computer and only have the new disk to work with. Each time I remove the old disk from my computer/mb I cannot boot to my OS on my new D drive. If I leave the old drive connected to my mb I can boot via the VistaBootPro 3.3 boot manager settings to D.....would really like to get rid of the old C drive. Using VistaBootPro 3.3 how do I accomplish that? Would really appreciate your help. Thanks, Roy
PRO New Member

Re: Dual boot ...two hdd's..

Postby yeshuas » Sat Jun 27, 2009 12:46 pm

Start VBP and on the System Bootloader button, place a check in the Windows Vista Bootloader, and All Drives, then click on Install Bootloader at the bottom

Then click on the Manage OS Entries button, highlite the entry you want to keep and place a check in Set as default, then highlite the entry you want to remove and click on the red X to remove it,
Game Over!!!!!!!!
ASUS Maximus V Gene MB
Windows 8 X64; Windows 7 X64; Windows 7 X86
Intel I5-3570K
16GB Corsair Vengeance Ram
eVGA GeForce GTX 550 TI
Corsair GS700 PS
1TB Seagate SATA 6.0Gb HD
Thermaltake Case
Software Development

Re: Dual boot ...two hdd's..

Postby Blue 4 » Sat Jun 27, 2009 4:59 pm

Followed your instructions and now have another glitch. Have only the new disk in my computer....but it is recognized as the D drive....I have no C drive. Can't seem to change the drive letter because the drive has the OS installed on it. Can anyone help me get this machine back to reading the primary, and only, partition on the disk as C?
PRO New Member

Return to General Windows Support