A Digital Age Deserves A Digital Leader

Windows 7 XP mode

Windows 7 XP mode

Postby Sisco22 » Wed Jun 03, 2009 11:47 pm

Hey guys,
I've got windows 7 x64 installed on my laptop and i installed the xp mode 64bit. can i install the 32bit version as well, so some of my 32bit apps will run on x64? is that possible?
Thanks
Adam
PRO Level 14

Re: Windows 7 XP mode

Postby dlr_graph » Thu Jun 04, 2009 12:18 am

I don't know what type of performance you are getting that are willing to install another instance of XP but in both my machines are running slower than Windows XP on a 1.6 Ghz Celeron. Horrible performance on an i7 Chip with 6 Gb or RAM. It takes forever to load and shut down. Simply not worth trying it.
PRO Level 2

Postby Sisco22 » Thu Jun 04, 2009 12:21 am

Yeah, i kinda figured it would be slow. I installed VMware and installed an instance of xp 32bit on it. I have a Cisco VPN client that will not run on 64bit and i need it for work. So i just went the VM route :)
PRO Level 14

Postby shreader » Thu Jun 04, 2009 7:18 pm

I have XP Mode x86 installed on my Windows 7 RC x64 OS & it does run fine.

I did triple my memory amount in XP Mode to 768 MB which helped a bit w/ the speed.
Software Director

Postby dlr_graph » Thu Jun 04, 2009 10:42 pm

Mine is up to 1 Gb but loading and unloading is extreme slow. The performance, especially the crappy graphics drivers used by MS sucks big time. I though S3 had been extinct for many years now.
PRO Level 2

Postby Grav!ty » Fri Jun 05, 2009 12:43 am

dlr_graph wrote:Mine is up to 1 Gb but loading and unloading is extreme slow. The performance, especially the crappy graphics drivers used by MS sucks big time. I though S3 had been extinct for many years now.

I must say that VMware is far better with much improved "virtual hardware". The only redeeming factor for XP mode is the ability to boot directly to the virtual machine from the boot menu in future versions being tested. But then I kinda fail to see why use a virtual machine at all unless one can switch from the VM to the host OS without rebooting, and that ability is not apparent as far as I can tell from the little info around, in newer versions not yet publicly available. The one advantage a virtual machine will have is that XP won't have drivers available for new systems soon I guess.

"The great majority of mankind are satisfied with appearances, as though they were realities, and are often more influenced by the things that seem than by those that are." - Niccolo Machiavelli
PROfessional Member

Postby ChristianM » Mon Jun 22, 2009 4:20 am

i just need to know one thing. which drivers does windows xp mode uses? does it use windows 7 drivers or we have to install windows xp drivers seperately? e.g if one of my game works fine in windows xp and doesn't work on windows 7, then will it work on windows xp mode? thanks.
PRO Level 2

Postby Grav!ty » Mon Jun 22, 2009 4:51 am

ChristianM wrote:i just need to know one thing. which drivers does windows xp mode uses? does it use windows 7 drivers or we have to install windows xp drivers seperately? e.g if one of my game works fine in windows xp and doesn't work on windows 7, then will it work on windows xp mode? thanks.

Generally the virtual GPU that Virtual PC uses has really low specs like 64 MB of RAM or something, so being able to play a game decently will depend on the minimum system requirements of the game.

I don't think there's been much of an improvement if any, in the virtual hardware used by Windows 7 "XP mode". Those who have installed it will be able to give more info on that.

"The great majority of mankind are satisfied with appearances, as though they were realities, and are often more influenced by the things that seem than by those that are." - Niccolo Machiavelli
PROfessional Member

Postby shreader » Wed Jun 24, 2009 2:53 am

I just plugged in my MS Force Feedback 2 joystick w/ XP Mode running also.

Win7 RC x64 detected it fine & installed the drivers automatically.

BUT XP Mode didn't detect it & doesn't even see it in the CP or device mgr.
Software Director

Return to General Windows Support