A Digital Age Deserves A Digital Leader

Welcome to our new Folding@Home Home

Forum rules
Welcome to our modest though robust team of folders! You are all more than welcome to join us or ask specific questions about how to go about folding but please start a new thread to post your questions, this way nothing of importance will be lost and everyone here will help you out.

If you just want to chat folding then the Folding@Home Home thread will be great!

Re: Welcome to our new Folding@Home Home

Postby BILLMCC66 » Thu Jun 18, 2009 2:04 pm

Thats the one i am using, i have it on a disk from Nvida and do not update it.
On Windows 7 the new driver is not stable and it is especially for 7 but it just keeps crashing.
STILL LEARNING

LOGIC CAN GET YOU FROM A TO B BUT IMAGINATION CAN GET YOU ANYWHERE
PRO Level 8

Postby yeshuas » Thu Jun 18, 2009 2:16 pm

BILLMCC66 wrote:Thats the one i am using, i have it on a disk from Nvida and do not update it.
On Windows 7 the new driver is not stable and it is especially for 7 but it just keeps crashing.

With Windows 7, I use 181.20, it is stable
Game Over!!!!!!!!
ASUS Maximus V Gene MB
Windows 8 X64; Windows 7 X64; Windows 7 X86
Intel I5-3570K
16GB Corsair Vengeance Ram
eVGA GeForce GTX 550 TI
Corsair GS700 PS
1TB Seagate SATA 6.0Gb HD
Thermaltake Case
Software Development

Postby augie » Thu Jun 18, 2009 4:46 pm

BILLMCC66 wrote:Thats the one i am using, i have it on a disk from Nvida and do not update it.

Get the CUDA drivers Bill. Latest are 185.85. I know I pooped on that driver before but it's working great on W7 ATM. I have the 181.20's on my Vista. Hope that helps man. Make sure that they are CUDA drivers, first and foremost! Mind you this is all on X86 as X64 gave me the the cold shoulder though others are fine with X64 folding.
Everything that irritates us about others can lead us to an understanding of ourselves. -- Carl Jung

eVGA X58 tri-SLI, i7 930 @ 3.8GHz., Corsair 6GB Dominator, Inno3D GTX470, eVGA260
ASUS P8P67 Pro, i7 2600K @4.60 GHz, 8GB RAM, eVGA GTX 460
Community Director

Postby BILLMCC66 » Sat Jun 20, 2009 7:49 am

OK here we go again, I have installed a clean version of Windows 7RC as dual boot.
Installed latest cuda drivers and VMware with Ubuntu 64bit and GPU folding, nothing else has been installed so this version is dedicated just to folding and as of this morning 08.00 local time has started so we will see how it gets on.

I am not 100% sure but the problems may have originated from the setup on my previous OS in that i used the USA as my default instead of Belgium so in this version i have Belgium set as default??
Don't know if it will make any difference but i am grasping at straws now in my effort to understand why according to the PC i was knocking out the completed WUs at a good rate but not getting any points.
Watch this space for developments :whistle
STILL LEARNING

PRO Level 8

Postby augie » Mon Jun 22, 2009 1:13 pm

Well, I am done with folding! At least with experimenting with trying to stuff my machines to the hilt! ;)

This is what I'll be doing today:

X2 machine: add a uniproc systray CPU folder and getting rid of the VM Player and notFreds SMP.
Quad machine: I tried running a dual notFreds but it was too cumbersome to keep an eye on so I'll replace one instance with a uniproc also. I'm not sure how much I'll get from the uniprocs but hopefully it won't affect GPU folding. It they do, then the uniprocs are gone.

It's summer and I want to get outside a lot more! :yesnod: Anyways, I'm getting 19K PPD ATM and I'm satisfied with that.:)

Everything that irritates us about others can lead us to an understanding of ourselves. -- Carl Jung

eVGA X58 tri-SLI, i7 930 @ 3.8GHz., Corsair 6GB Dominator, Inno3D GTX470, eVGA260
Community Director

Postby BILLMCC66 » Mon Jun 22, 2009 2:47 pm

I am at aloss for where to turn now, the WUs are completing in under 3 hours but the points are not being recorded and all i can think is that the problem is at stanford rather than my end.
As you can see i completed 5 WUs yesterday and recieved only 800 points and yet got 5696 for 3 WUs so i don't know what to do now????

I have both PC running and the other one has completed 4 WUs today this one has completed 3 and yet i have only credit for 1 :no
Attachments
CaptureWiz003.png
CaptureWiz003.png (13.33 KiB) Viewed 1498 times
STILL LEARNING

PRO Level 8

Postby augie » Mon Jun 22, 2009 3:29 pm

Ya, that big one is weird eh? Make sure to connect your PC's together and then set up FahMon or this one for both rigs and monitor your PPD this way, I would setup the beta HFM as it gives more info. It really does look like stanfords fault at first glance but 3X1920 points=5760 so perhaps one 1920 failed right at the end.

This is the only way IMO to track what's going on, meaning the beta HFM app. as you are probably getting problems both from your end and Stanfords. Let your 295 run and see what happens, not worth redoing it ATM, just monitor over the next few days and you'll get a feel of where you should be at. :yesnod:

Community Director

Postby BILLMCC66 » Tue Jun 23, 2009 2:24 pm

Sorry Augie but i have just lost the will to live (fold) after another disastrous day been folding for 9 hours with both machines and got 384 points,for some reason my PCs are not communicating with Stanford or stanford is not communicating with me????
According to the logs i have completed 7 WUs and one of those was in VM so i am just about ready to call it a day and give up Image

I am seriously thinking of using Killdisk on the PCs (one at a time) and starting over from scratch without using anything that i have saved to my external disks (getting paranoid about malware) so it will be a virgin, i will sleep on it and decide tomorrow.
STILL LEARNING

PRO Level 8

Postby yeshuas » Tue Jun 23, 2009 3:38 pm

Maybe your firewall is stopping you from communication all the time, just grabbing at straws here, I know it is driving you nuts, I just wish I or someone could solve your problem with this.
Game Over!!!!!!!!
ASUS Maximus V Gene MB
Windows 8 X64; Windows 7 X64; Windows 7 X86
Intel I5-3570K
16GB Corsair Vengeance Ram
eVGA GeForce GTX 550 TI
Corsair GS700 PS
1TB Seagate SATA 6.0Gb HD
Thermaltake Case
Software Development

Postby BILLMCC66 » Tue Jun 23, 2009 4:22 pm

I turned the firewall off on the dedicated folding PC (GTX260) but nothing changed.

I am prepared to do the silliest thing now Dan, i have tried everything else.

Edit I am basically the same setup as when i was producing 18000 ppd.
STILL LEARNING

PRO Level 8

PreviousNext

Return to Distributed Computing