A Digital Age Deserves A Digital Leader

Vista Boot Pro Does Not Show Ubuntu Installation

Vista Boot Pro Does Not Show Ubuntu Installation

Postby james.brantley » Tue Jun 16, 2009 10:23 pm

Hello all, I have just purchased Vista Boot Pro So I could easily change my boot sequence. I would like Ubuntu to be the default but the software does not find Ubuntu. Thanks for any help in advance.
PRO New Member

Re: Vista Boot Pro Does Not Show Ubuntu Installation

Postby Grav!ty » Tue Jun 16, 2009 11:12 pm

VistaBootPRO does not work with GRUB. If you installed Ubuntu AFTER Windows, your Ubuntu entry should be the default choice in your grub loader boot screen. See the link below for how to edit GRUB:

how-to-edit-grub-default-os-multi-booting-linux-and-windows-t109009.html

"The great majority of mankind are satisfied with appearances, as though they were realities, and are often more influenced by the things that seem than by those that are." - Niccolo Machiavelli
PROfessional Member

Postby james.brantley » Tue Jun 16, 2009 11:30 pm

Thank you for your reply. I have an interesting problem, I installed a software package that I obtained via synaptic that alowed me to choose my boot sequence through a GUI. Well I changed it to what I thought was my normal Ubuntu installation, there were four options for Ubuntu, one was "generic kernel" and I can't recall the other three. What has happened is that now when I choose Ubuntu after a restart it will always go into a testing mode and never actually boot into Ubuntu. I purchased Vista Boot Pro in hopes of changing my selection to one of the other Ubuntu options but Ubuntu is not listed as an installed OS. If I can get back into Ubuntu I will use your info to edit from within GRUB! Ubuntu was installed from within Vista and Vista is the the first boot option, that is what I was trying to change as I have not been using Vista at all. This is the first time I have used Windows in about a month!
PRO New Member

Postby Grav!ty » Wed Jun 17, 2009 12:09 am

Yeah you should be able to edit GRUB using the same method I did in that link. If you want more help with that then please post in the Linux forum and if you'd like a refund for VistaBootPRO let us know as you seem to have purchased it specifically to edit or add an Ubuntu entry.

"The great majority of mankind are satisfied with appearances, as though they were realities, and are often more influenced by the things that seem than by those that are." - Niccolo Machiavelli
PROfessional Member

Postby james.brantley » Wed Jun 17, 2009 2:27 am

Thanks for your help, my order was allowed to be canceled.
PRO New Member

Return to General Windows Support