A Digital Age Deserves A Digital Leader

Installing additional OS

Installing additional OS

Postby puterwrecker » Thu May 28, 2009 10:54 am

Well, thanks to Vista Boot I have finally successfully dual booted both my laptop and my desktop. On my laptop, I have dual booted Vista and Win XP. On my desk top I have dual booted my primary Vista installation and a previous installation of Vista on another drive. Thank you Vista Boot Pro. I wished I had heard about you before I purchased Acronis software with no support, and before I read numerous articles on how to dual boot, none of which worked.

Now, however, I would like to try to dual boot Windows XP on my desk top. I would like to put it on the same drive that my old installation of Vista was on. When I attempted to install Windows XP, I did not get the "Press any key to boot from CD" prompt. I have the Vista Boot Pro installed on Drive C with my primary installation of Vista. How do I now install additional systems?

Thanks for the help,

Puterwrecker
PRO New Member

Re: Installing additional OS

Postby yeshuas » Thu May 28, 2009 11:16 am

You need to check to see if the optical drive is the first in the boot order in the bios, other wise it will bypass it and boot straight off the Harddrive which is normal in most cases.

Prior to installing XP to the Vista partition make sure it is neither the boot or system partition in disk management
Game Over!!!!!!!!
ASUS Maximus V Gene MB
Windows 8 X64; Windows 7 X64; Windows 7 X86
Intel I5-3570K
16GB Corsair Vengeance Ram
eVGA GeForce GTX 550 TI
Corsair GS700 PS
1TB Seagate SATA 6.0Gb HD
Thermaltake Case
Software Development

Postby marykate » Sun Jun 14, 2009 8:31 pm

Hi I'm not sure how to post a question so will stick a question in this reply thing and hope no one yells at me.
I'm trying to install XP on my new Vista machine in order to dual boot. I'm getting the following message: The software you are installing for this hardware; Standard Enhanced PCI to USB Host Controller, has not passed Windows Logo testing to verify its compatibility with Windows XP. If I answer either yes or no, the pc hangs up and I have to shut down with the power switch. As you can see I'm new at this Any help would be a blessing,
Thanks MaryKate
PRO New Member

Postby NT50 » Sun Jun 14, 2009 8:43 pm

marykate wrote:Hi I'm not sure how to post a question so will stick a question in this reply thing and hope no one yells at me.
I'm trying to install XP on my new Vista machine in order to dual boot. I'm getting the following message: The software you are installing for this hardware; Standard Enhanced PCI to USB Host Controller, has not passed Windows Logo testing to verify its compatibility with Windows XP. If I answer either yes or no, the pc hangs up and I have to shut down with the power switch. As you can see I'm new at this Any help would be a blessing,
Thanks MaryKate

Are you using a PCI to USB card installed. If you do and you are not using it for now , then remove that card adn try to install XP.
Dogs Have Owners; Cats Have Staff
PROfessional Member

Postby marykate » Mon Jun 15, 2009 3:13 pm

Hi, thanks for the reply. if i remove the card will my USB devices (keyboard, mouse etc) still function?
Thanks again, Marykate
PRO New Member

Postby NT50 » Mon Jun 15, 2009 3:56 pm

No they will not
Don't you have USB plugin built onto the motherboard?
PROfessional Member

Postby marykate » Mon Jun 15, 2009 5:18 pm

I don't think so. This a Dell Studio . I took the side panel off and it looks like the four usb sockets in the rear go into a pair of small metal boxes, one big ,one small attached to the motherboard, i cannot see anything that looks like a usb socket on the motherboard.
Marykate
PRO New Member

Postby NT50 » Mon Jun 15, 2009 5:32 pm

OK
Then you have the USB that are built onto the motherboard and can not be removed.
If that is the case XP should install without a hick when thinking about USB.

You may have to look on the DELL website and see if their are special drivers for XP and that system. If there is then you may have to slipstream them inot you XP install disk
PROfessional Member

Postby marykate » Tue Jun 16, 2009 5:44 pm

I'm sorry, I don't know what slipstream means.
Thanks Marykate
PRO New Member

Postby marykate » Tue Jun 16, 2009 6:12 pm

Hi again, I looked up slipstreaming and I think I get it. My problem is that XP is not asking for a driver but rather is saying that the PCI to USb device has not passed Windows Logo testing and will cause problems if I proceed. Then it hangs up. I have left it as is for a few hours in hopes that it would finally continue on and let me deal with the problems after install but no such luck. I have disconnected the keyboard and mouse with no change
thanks Marykate
PRO New Member

Next

Return to General Windows Support