A Digital Age Deserves A Digital Leader

CSS alternative to 'center' tag

CSS alternative to 'center' tag

Postby gries818 » Wed Dec 24, 2008 8:47 pm

Since I started using CSS over the old school 'style' tags (ie 'font'), I 've never been able to find a very good replacement of the 'center' tag. I still use it, but I would prefer if an alternative could be found...

... you know, just to be pure. :lol:

Mac OS 10.6.7 - Personal
Ubuntu Server 11.04 - Server
Software Development

Re: CSS alternative to 'center' tag

Postby kanaloa » Wed Dec 24, 2008 10:47 pm

gries818 wrote:Since I started using CSS over the old school 'style' tags (ie 'font'), I 've never been able to find a very good replacement of the 'center' tag. I still use it, but I would prefer if an alternative could be found...

[ below is equal to <

Code: Select all
[div style="margin:0 auto"]your content here[/div]

Of course a div tag by default is 100% wide, so if you want it centered, you'll also need to specify a "width:123px" for the div or p itself.

You can also use "text-align:center" to center text within a div or p tag. And worst case, just do
[div align="center"]

This won't work on the span tag, since it's an inline tag. You'd have to make it a block tag for it to work on that.
"Greatness is not a function of circumstance. Greatness, it turns out, is largely a matter of conscious choice, and discipline." - Jim Collins
President

Postby gries818 » Thu Jun 11, 2009 1:19 am

kanaloa wrote:
gries818 wrote:Since I started using CSS over the old school 'style' tags (ie 'font'), I 've never been able to find a very good replacement of the 'center' tag. I still use it, but I would prefer if an alternative could be found...

[ below is equal to <

[div style="margin:0 auto"]your content here[/div]

Of course a div tag by default is 100% wide, so if you want it centered, you'll also need to specify a "width:123px" for the div or p itself.

You can also use "text-align:center" to center text within a div or p tag. And worst case, just do
[div align="center"]

This won't work on the span tag, since it's an inline tag. You'd have to make it a block tag for it to work on that.

This trick doesn't seem to work in Safari. Any idea why?

And the center tag doesn't center within a div like Firefox does. WTF Apple :unsure:

Mac OS 10.6.7 - Personal
Software Development

Postby kanaloa » Thu Jun 11, 2009 2:55 am

That's why I only worry about FF and IE (and I wish I didn't have to bother with the later, though at least they are making progress - I just wish they'd 'force' upgrades like FF does).
"Greatness is not a function of circumstance. Greatness, it turns out, is largely a matter of conscious choice, and discipline." - Jim Collins
President

Postby gries818 » Thu Jun 11, 2009 4:18 am

kanaloa wrote:That's why I only worry about FF and IE (and I wish I didn't have to bother with the later, though at least they are making progress - I just wish they'd 'force' upgrades like FF does).

Hmm, well since I use Safari as my main browser, I'd kind of like to write sites that work just as well with it as in Firefox.

The problem appears to be that Safari treats the center tag as the center of the page, and not the center of an element like Firefox and IE. I'm sure there is a way around this... I never have problems out on the web with Safari.

I'll post when I figure it out ^*^

Mac OS 10.6.7 - Personal
Software Development

Postby gries818 » Thu Jun 11, 2009 9:42 pm

Crazily, text-align:center seems to accomplish the task on both browsers.

Mac OS 10.6.7 - Personal
Software Development

Postby kanaloa » Thu Jun 11, 2009 11:24 pm

gries818 wrote:Crazily, text-align:center seems to accomplish the task on both browsers.

:lol: Hopefully the next version of CSS will get a lot of these "interesting" issues fixed.
President

Postby gries818 » Fri Jun 12, 2009 2:53 pm

kanaloa wrote:
gries818 wrote:Crazily, text-align:center seems to accomplish the task on both browsers.

:lol: Hopefully the next version of CSS will get a lot of these "interesting" issues fixed.

The really interesting part is that the text-align:center works on one of my divs, but not another :-?

But at least it isn't working in both Safari and Firefox... hopefully it is for the same reason.

Mac OS 10.6.7 - Personal
Software Development

Return to HTML, CSS, and Scripts