A Digital Age Deserves A Digital Leader

Audio Virus

Audio Virus

Postby Grav!ty » Thu Jun 11, 2009 12:34 am

I've got some kind of infection that affects my audio, probably from a youtube video I downloaded. Weird that NOD32 didn't pick it up. At first when I played a youtube video, I'd get a sort of ghost voice in the background shouting like "oh my god, go away". Now whenever I startup, my system speaker (the little one that gives the BIOS beeps) rattles away and when I boot into a Windows OS there's a "thunk" - the one that one gets when one clicks on the wrong thing - constantly with every mouse click. None of this happens in Linux though so I can only guess it's a windows virus.

If I can't find it with NOD32, I guess I'm going to have to reformat and reinstall 4 windows operating systems :-?

"The great majority of mankind are satisfied with appearances, as though they were realities, and are often more influenced by the things that seem than by those that are." - Niccolo Machiavelli
PROfessional Member

Re: Audio Virus

Postby mnemonicj » Thu Jun 11, 2009 2:12 am

Did you try looking at the your hijackthis log to see if there was anything running that wasn't supposed to be?
PRO Level 15

Postby Grav!ty » Thu Jun 11, 2009 3:17 am

I'm just going to reinstall I think...I just don't like having a system that's been messed with like this.

"The great majority of mankind are satisfied with appearances, as though they were realities, and are often more influenced by the things that seem than by those that are." - Niccolo Machiavelli
PROfessional Member

Postby Grav!ty » Thu Jun 11, 2009 4:35 am

My numerical 4 key was stuck down :oops: :embarrassed:

Strange it didn't affect linux though and that still doesn't explain that exclamation when I play any video or DVD.

PROfessional Member

Postby augie » Thu Jun 11, 2009 7:04 am

I've heard that phrase before 'oh my god, go away' when accidentally scrolling over a smilie banner advert that's on some sites though I can't remember the name of who was selling them. If I see it again I'll remember this post and let you know the addy as I hated that POS banner! :-x
Everything that irritates us about others can lead us to an understanding of ourselves. -- Carl Jung

eVGA X58 tri-SLI, i7 930 @ 3.8GHz., Corsair 6GB Dominator, Inno3D GTX470, eVGA260
ASUS P8P67 Pro, i7 2600K @4.60 GHz, 8GB RAM, eVGA GTX 460
Community Director

Postby JabbaPapa » Thu Jun 11, 2009 7:05 am

It may possibly be one of the strange audio error messages that Microsoft developers sometimes use ? Only thing I can think of, and YES apparently they do this sometimes when they are bored :D
PRO VETERAN

Postby NT50 » Thu Jun 11, 2009 5:22 pm

The audio viruses out nowdays usually install the rogue av programs like AV 360 and MS AV 2009, etc etc etc.
Dogs Have Owners; Cats Have Staff
PROfessional Member

Postby sethshawn » Tue Jan 25, 2011 5:23 am

Every few minutes I hear adverts on my laptop, I have no browsers open or anything but I still hear them.

Please help, I've tried googling but nothing helpful come up.
PRO New Member

Postby Grav!ty » Tue Jan 25, 2011 5:29 am

I think scan for viruses firstly - also, check to see what applications and processes are open in task manager.

PROfessional Member

Postby NT50 » Tue Jan 25, 2011 12:54 pm

My also wanna try scanning with Malwarebytes from malwarebytes.org. The free edition will do just fine.
Dogs Have Owners; Cats Have Staff
PROfessional Member

Next

Return to Security & Virus