A Digital Age Deserves A Digital Leader

Can't run systeminfo (NOT msinfo32)

Re: Can't run systeminfo (NOT msinfo32)

Postby JabbaPapa » Wed Apr 08, 2009 9:46 pm

Cornflake wrote:Something tells me in order to continue building on already such complex OS'es we're going to need to rewrite nearly everything from scratch. Because there's only so long you can build on something before fundamental problems force you to go back to the drawing board :yesnod:

Windows Vista and especially Windows 7 have in fact taken just that path :)

Windows 7 uses a tiny Windows kernel called MinWin -- this is not *included* in the OS, but the OS has been built upon MinWin, ie it's more or less MinWin with a whole bunch of added features and modules.

In XP, if you switch off a feature, it still gets at least partially loaded when you boot because it's part of that complex interlinked OS

In Vista somewhat, but especially in W7, disabling a feature can cause it to NOT be loaded at all during boot.

And btw thanks for the insights into the file systems :)
PRO VETERAN

Postby Cornflake » Thu Apr 09, 2009 8:47 pm

Yes, I've heard of MinWin. BTW, here's the link to that blog I was referring to: http://thebs413.blogspot.com/2005_08_01 ... chive.html

Although I appreciate the initiative to start from scratch, I much rather would have seen WinFS come along before the new sound system. :P

The one thing that really sucks about starting over, is at some point you can't retain backwards compatibility. And the only real option is emulation... but there can be big disadvantages to it. First is missing features and second is performance. A good example, is a game like DOOM. If you run it emulated in Windows, the amount of CPU time to do it is enormous, somtimes 100x more than what you would need to run it natevely... turning our fast multi-GHz computers into something that can barely handle code over 12 years old. Plus, you'd be lucky to find an emulator that will run your program at all.

The significance of this is really simple: If you're going to rewrite something, there benefits have to outweigh the disadvantages. in Vista MS did such a quick redo job here and there, that there's really not much to be gained. That's not the way you wanna play it after waiting five years to update your OS. All that really came out of it were steps-backwards. They'd have been better of waiting until W7 to implement some of these things, IMO.

Sorry for the rant and philosophy and all -- this might sound like I'm kind of learning this all for the first time, and I am. As I really started getting into PCs when XP first came out, the first OS I used that I really started to learn technical details about has been around for a long time. These things are going to be a big change!
Last edited by Cornflake on Fri May 01, 2009 7:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PRO Level 15

Postby _Taz_ » Tue Apr 14, 2009 3:04 pm

did this get resolved along the way? sounds like WMI has gotten messed up (systeminfo needs wmi running to collect information
PRO Level 13

Postby Cornflake » Mon Apr 27, 2009 2:17 am

No, I haven't gotten it working again yet.
PRO Level 15

Postby Cornflake » Fri May 01, 2009 7:30 pm

_Taz_ wrote:did this get resolved along the way? sounds like WMI has gotten messed up (systeminfo needs wmi running to collect information

Can you specify what WMI is? Is it a service?

Thanks
PRO Level 15

Postby gries818 » Fri May 01, 2009 7:55 pm

Cornflake wrote:
_Taz_ wrote:did this get resolved along the way? sounds like WMI has gotten messed up (systeminfo needs wmi running to collect information

Can you specify what WMI is? Is it a service?

Thanks

I think it's Windows Management Instrumentation.

Mac OS 10.6.7 - Personal
Ubuntu Server 11.04 - Server
Software Development

Postby Cornflake » Thu Jun 04, 2009 6:54 pm

Just thought I'd update: I just made sure both WMI services were running; I still can't run systeminfo.

It just accepts the command and gives me a new path line like it thinks it completed the task.
PRO Level 15

Postby _Taz_ » Mon Jun 08, 2009 1:21 pm

maybe it's running but not correctly. try a quick reinstall of WMI, here a script I found.
Code: Select all
net stop winmgmt

pause

c:

cd c:\windows\system32\wbem

rd /S /Q repository

regsvr32 /s %systemroot%\system32\scecli.dll

regsvr32 /s %systemroot%\system32\userenv.dll

mofcomp cimwin32.mof

mofcomp cimwin32.mfl

mofcomp rsop.mof

mofcomp rsop.mfl

for /f %%s in ('dir /b /s *.dll') do regsvr32 /s %%s

for /f %%s in ('dir /b *.mof') do mofcomp %%s

for /f %%s in ('dir /b *.mfl') do mofcomp %%s

mofcomp exwmi.mof

mofcomp -n:root\cimv2\applications\exchange wbemcons.mof

mofcomp -n:root\cimv2\applications\exchange smtpcons.mof

mofcomp exmgmt.mof

just run it from a batch file in dos window
PRO Level 13

Postby airwolf » Mon Jun 29, 2009 2:20 pm

or go to start-->run type in cmd than when the window opens write systeminfo and it will collect the info :whistle worked for me :()

P.S. thanks first time i tried it
Intel Duo Core 2.66 Ghz
2.0Gb of RAM
640 GB HDD
GeForce 8600GT [The GTS burned ;( ]
Proud Intel User
PRO Level 7

Previous

Return to General Windows Support