A Digital Age Deserves A Digital Leader

Bing is now live

Bing is now live

Postby shreader » Tue Jun 02, 2009 1:02 pm

You probably didn’t wake up today expecting an entirely new search experience.

But – Bing! – here it is.

So, why a new search engine? Why the new name? Why now?

Well, because even though search is a pretty amazing thing, the current state of search engines has some equally amazing statistics.

So far in 2009, there are four and a half websites created EVERY SECOND as the web continues to expand. While more searchable information is cool, nearly half of all searches don’t result in the answer that people are seeking.

At the same time, the way the world searches is changing. You want more than just information. You want knowledge that leads to action.

The truth is you’ve evolved. It’s time search caught up.

So we had an idea. Start over. And we did.

We took a new approach to go beyond search to build what we call a decision engine. With a powerful set of intuitive tools on top of a world class search service, Bing will help you make smarter, faster decisions. We included features that deliver the best results, presented in a more organized way to simplify key tasks and help you make important decisions faster.

And features like cashback, where we actually give you money back on great products, and Price Predictor, which actually tells you when to buy an airline ticket in order to help get you the best price – help you make smarter decisions, and put money back in your pocket.

We sincerely hope that the next time you need to make an important decision, you’ll Bing and decide.

Thank you,
Bing Team, Microsoft

Try it out > Bing
Software Director

Re: Bing is now live

Postby BILLMCC66 » Tue Jun 02, 2009 1:56 pm

One could be forgiven being cynical and thinking MS have finally admitted that IE is not the bees knees. :-?
STILL LEARNING

LOGIC CAN GET YOU FROM A TO B BUT IMAGINATION CAN GET YOU ANYWHERE
PRO Level 8

Postby phileysmiley » Tue Jun 02, 2009 7:18 pm

My first search:
http://www.bing.com/search?q=larry+rich ... &form=QBLH

ROFL looks like I'm a famous Mormon author.

BTW I don't see what's so special about this. Is there some example I can use to see what's new? Wouldn't it have made sense if MS' intro above included something that made sense in English? :silly:
Media Director

Postby shreader » Tue Jun 02, 2009 8:06 pm

phileysmiley wrote:My first search:
http://www.bing.com/search?q=larry+rich ... &form=QBLH

ROFL looks like I'm a famous Mormon author.

BTW I don't see what's so special about this. Is there some example I can use to see what's new? Wouldn't it have made sense if MS' intro above included something that made sense in English? :silly:

Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage :lol:

Microsoft Bing: Much Better Than Expected

by Rafe Needleman
May 28, 2009 1:58 PM PDT

Microsoft on Thursday took the wraps off Bing, the rebranded and rebuilt search engine formerly code-named Kumo, designed to replace Live Search. It's a solid improvement over the previous search product, and it beats Google in important areas.

It will help Microsoft gain share in the search business. It's surprisingly competitive with Google. Bing isn't available to the public yet, but you won't have to wait long. Starting on June 1, some users will get Bing search results from Live Search. On June 3, we're told, Bing will be Microsoft's new default search. We got early access to the service. Here's how it looks.

Hands on - In search presentation, Bing wins. It uses technology from Powerset (a search technology company Microsoft acquired) to display refined versions of your query down the left side of the page. For example, I searched for the game "Fallout 3" on Google and Bing. While Google gave me good results, Bing gave me a menu of "related searches," that included Walkthrough, News, and so on.

Bing also pop ups an excerpt of the text on a search result if you hover over it. This saves a lot of time if you're not quite sure if you want to follow a result. In the content of search results, Bing is not consistently superior to Google. In many searches I did (not the sample searches Microsoft sent me), the Google results were more relevant and useful.
http://www.pronetworks.org/index.php/co ... _expected/
Software Director

Postby imnuts » Tue Jun 02, 2009 9:24 pm

Search for something, hover over the result and go toward the right. There should be a little dot next to the results, and when you get close to it, it should bring out a listing of various links on the page that are hopefully important/relevant. Works good for programs as you can search for them, hover over the side box and you can get a link to the download page, or support, and possibly a description of the program. I think that the local search for restaurants and services, as well as the product search are the really "new" features as they compile reviews from various sites into one place for a product. I think that the search suggestions are also supposed to be slightly more advanced than before as well.
PRO SUPREME

Postby Computerwiz2489 » Wed Jun 03, 2009 11:15 pm

I'm a little afraid to try out bing but boy no one can deny that the front page looks really really gorgeous.

I don't know what it is though, it's weird. I looked up something on Bing. It looked like all the search results were just advertisements. I mean, the searches aren't advertisements but there's something about the color scheme that makes bing results look a lot like it's just spitting out ad searches rather than real websites. I don't know if you guys notice that maybe I'm just too picky but I certainly don't get that when I use google or yahoo.
PRO Level 15

Postby imnuts » Wed Jun 03, 2009 11:20 pm

I see what you're saying, and for normal searches you don't notice it, but local searches (for restaurants and the like) the sponsored listings have nearly the exact same format as the actual results. I guess it may be intentional to get more ad revenue. Overall, it isn't much different than what Live.com was, even the home page is nearly the same for anyone that never visited Live.com before the switch.
PRO SUPREME

Postby Grav!ty » Thu Jun 04, 2009 1:27 am

What's with the name! Ba Dah Bing! is probably Steve Ballmers favorite expression :lol:

For the heck I tried an uhm...adult image search in both google and bing and couldn't figure how to get to the next page in bing :eek:

"The great majority of mankind are satisfied with appearances, as though they were realities, and are often more influenced by the things that seem than by those that are." - Niccolo Machiavelli
PROfessional Member

Postby augie » Thu Jun 04, 2009 1:35 am

Sounds more like a four letter word. BING IT! :lol: I like Clusty better so far amongst all of them.:)
Everything that irritates us about others can lead us to an understanding of ourselves. -- Carl Jung

eVGA X58 tri-SLI, i7 930 @ 3.8GHz., Corsair 6GB Dominator, Inno3D GTX470, eVGA260
ASUS P8P67 Pro, i7 2600K @4.60 GHz, 8GB RAM, eVGA GTX 460
Community Director

Postby Computerwiz2489 » Thu Jun 04, 2009 7:40 am

Grav!ty wrote:What's with the name! Ba Dah Bing! is probably Steve Ballmers favorite expression :lol:

For the heck I tried an uhm...adult image search in both google and bing and couldn't figure how to get to the next page in bing :eek:

Hey maybe the server was too busy "binging" itself ... or maybe it was busy dealing with its own "bing" .... okay I'll be quiet now
PRO Level 15

Return to General Tech Chat