A Digital Age Deserves A Digital Leader

Vista SP2 is here!

Vista SP2 is here!

Postby Computerwiz2489 » Wed Jun 03, 2009 11:19 pm

Have you guys tried out SP2 yet? Microsoft has the full standalone available for your downloading pleasure.
It took a lot less time for it to install than SP1 did... interesting. On the otherhand it requires that you have Vista SP1 beforehand or else it absolutely refuses to install...
PRO Level 15

Re: Vista SP2 is here!

Postby augie » Wed Jun 03, 2009 11:40 pm

Computerwiz2489 wrote:Have you guys tried out SP2 yet? Microsoft has the full standalone available for your downloading pleasure.
It took a lot less time for it to install than SP1 did... interesting. On the otherhand it requires that you have Vista SP1 beforehand or else it absolutely refuses to install...

Yup on SP1 needed first, no more cumulative SPs as I've read so far to keep the dl's lower. You can't even slipstream it yet with vLite unless you go to the extreme of 'reverse integration' google it ;). That is certainly not worth anyone's time! (Unless you want to of course, I've only seen it done with beta but it should be the same.)
Everything that irritates us about others can lead us to an understanding of ourselves. -- Carl Jung

eVGA X58 tri-SLI, i7 930 @ 3.8GHz., Corsair 6GB Dominator, Inno3D GTX470, eVGA260
ASUS P8P67 Pro, i7 2600K @4.60 GHz, 8GB RAM, eVGA GTX 460
Community Director

Postby Grav!ty » Wed Jun 03, 2009 11:40 pm

I've been using the SP2 beta for some time without any issues. I think I read somewhere that MS was saying SP2 just became way too big if it included SP1 like most service packs have in the past.

I wonder if they will make a new image available for public download that already includes both service packs?

"The great majority of mankind are satisfied with appearances, as though they were realities, and are often more influenced by the things that seem than by those that are." - Niccolo Machiavelli
PROfessional Member

Postby augie » Wed Jun 03, 2009 11:44 pm

Read up Graham.:)
Everything that irritates us about others can lead us to an understanding of ourselves. -- Carl Jung

eVGA X58 tri-SLI, i7 930 @ 3.8GHz., Corsair 6GB Dominator, Inno3D GTX470, eVGA260
Community Director

Postby Grav!ty » Thu Jun 04, 2009 12:25 am

augie wrote:Read up Graham.:)

Read up? I don't see any mention of an image of Vista that includes both service packs being available for public download. TechNet and MSDN will have them available soon if not already but it would be nice to have them publicly available to non subscribers :yesnod:

"The great majority of mankind are satisfied with appearances, as though they were realities, and are often more influenced by the things that seem than by those that are." - Niccolo Machiavelli
PROfessional Member

Postby augie » Thu Jun 04, 2009 12:51 am

Grav!ty wrote:
augie wrote:Read up Graham.:)

Read up? I don't see any mention of an image of Vista that includes both service packs being available for public download. TechNet and MSDN will have them available soon if not already but it would be nice to have them publicly available to non subscribers :yesnod:

That's not what I meant Graham, instead it is a manual endeavour done only by industrious geeks. Start with Post#11 here. You are welcome to delete it as I haven't tried the method yet and probably won't either.:)

Community Director

Postby Grav!ty » Thu Jun 04, 2009 1:03 am

Thanks Algis but my last attempts at slipstreaming SP1 into Vista RTM were a disaster so I'll wait for the "slipstreamed" image from Microsoft :yesnod:

PROfessional Member

Postby augie » Thu Jun 04, 2009 1:18 am

Grav!ty wrote:Thanks Algis but my last attempts at slipstreaming SP1 into Vista RTM were a disaster so I'll wait for the "slipstreamed" image from Microsoft :yesnod:

Well, getting SP1 slipstreamed was a no-brainer with vLite, SP2 is a whole new issue.:) Hmm, that leaves most of us in the ditch then.;)

Community Director

Postby JabbaPapa » Thu Jun 04, 2009 6:08 am

augie wrote:
Computerwiz2489 wrote:Have you guys tried out SP2 yet? Microsoft has the full standalone available for your downloading pleasure.

Yup on SP1 needed first, no more cumulative SPs as I've read so far to keep the dl's lower.

Actually no -- you can't install it to Vista RTM because of a bug in the RTM :whistle The Vista SP1 standalone installation package was deliberately written to avoid this bug, but it uses non-standard installation practices...

augie wrote:You can't even slipstream it yet with vLite unless you go to the extreme of 'reverse integration' google it ;). That is certainly not worth anyone's time! (Unless you want to of course, I've only seen it done with beta but it should be the same.)

It _should_ be possible to slipstream the SP2 into a Vista+SP1 installation DVD, but I don't know what the procedures are :)
PRO VETERAN

Postby Computerwiz2489 » Thu Jun 04, 2009 7:34 am

What bug does the RTM Vista have that causes that??? :shocked:
PRO Level 15

Return to General Windows Support