A Digital Age Deserves A Digital Leader

Is Writing Over A Hard Drive 7 Times Enough?

Is Writing Over A Hard Drive 7 Times Enough?

Postby mnemonicj » Mon Jun 01, 2009 12:26 am

Has anyone seen the news lately about used hard drives with confidential data on them?

The Register: Missile data, medical records found on discarded hard disks

I was wondering if using a hard drive eraser program is enough. I am trying out a program that erases files by writing over them 7 times. I hope it is enough for almost any person that would get a hold of my hard drive after I have discarded them.

I have discarded two hard drives before and one of them worries me. The hard drive crashed, but I could still read most of the data on the drive. I was required by Dell to send it to them because they replaced it under warranty. I am willing to bet they tested the drive, confirmed it was bad, and tossed it in the trash. The other drive I am not so worried about because when it failed, it was part of a RAID 0, so it only contains half of the data in small stripes.

Right now, I have three hard drives that I am not using, 20GB, 40GB, and an 80GB. Since they have been boxed up for awhile, I am going to erase them now so that way I don't accidentally throw them away with confidential data on them.
PRO Level 15

Re: Is Writing Over A Hard Drive 7 Times Enough?

Postby Grav!ty » Mon Jun 01, 2009 1:01 am

I think zeroing the drives is probably better or is that effectively what you are doing? You should be able to find software to do that from the drive manufacturer's site.

"The great majority of mankind are satisfied with appearances, as though they were realities, and are often more influenced by the things that seem than by those that are." - Niccolo Machiavelli
PROfessional Member

Postby imnuts » Mon Jun 01, 2009 1:19 am

DBAN is what I think the US government uses, and from the homepage, Canada as well, and it looks like the DoD for the US uses up to 7 passes to completely wipe out data, possibly less. If you really want to scrub a drive and have some time to kill, I'd recommend it as it works.
PRO SUPREME

Postby mnemonicj » Mon Jun 01, 2009 1:27 am

I had a chance to research it a little more and the program I am using uses the Department of Defense's method where pseudorandom data is written over the data on the hard drive 7 times. Once, or even three times, may be enough, but if it is good enough for the DoD, it works for me.

This is what I would really like: Hard drive shredder

I have some old SCSI drives that I used on my server, a couple 9.1GB, a couple 18.6GB, and one of the 18.6GB is a full-sized 3.5" hard drive (about 2" thick!). There are some places that you can send the hard drive to have them shredded. I will consider it for my SCSI drives because I don't want to have to take apart my server just to erase my old SCSI drives.
PRO Level 15

Return to Hardware and Customizing