A Digital Age Deserves A Digital Leader

Odd Vista boot problem = IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL

Odd Vista boot problem = IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL

Postby Castor_uk » Sat Nov 22, 2008 1:49 pm

I had a intermittent wireless problem a while back which I believe was caused by installing the nVidia network drivers. After the usual uninstall and changes to setting which did not solve the problem I decided to go back to a restore point.

After doing this and rebooting (which seemed to work) I was prompted to reinstall some Windows updates which I did; but after the install and reboot the system locked up before getting to the login screen. I rebooted and choose the 'repair windows' option on the boot menu. However the system then crashed to a Blue Screen of Death, quoting a IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL error; it does not quote any driver or file that could be causing this.

I then tried loading Windows normally which worked but there were just odd problems here and there, thing missing, settings wrong etc; this suggested to me that the install was now corrupted somehow.

I tried booting using the 'repair windows' option from the boot menu again but I got the same BSoD error; I tried booting from the Vista DVD but got the same error. I even tried safe mode but the system just locked up before starting.

Strangely I can still start-up Vista in normal mode with no problems, it
PRO New Member

Postby Grav!ty » Sat Nov 22, 2008 5:39 pm

I think try booting to safe mode and go to Device Manager to see if there are any items there showing a yellow asterisk or question mark. It seems there's an interrupt request issue with one of your devices possibly set to use the same IRQ as another.

"The great majority of mankind are satisfied with appearances, as though they were realities, and are often more influenced by the things that seem than by those that are." - Niccolo Machiavelli
PROfessional Member

Postby Castor_uk » Sat Nov 22, 2008 7:23 pm

Grav!ty wrote:I think try booting to safe mode and go to Device Manager to see if there are any items there showing a yellow asterisk or question mark. It seems there's an interrupt request issue with one of your devices possibly set to use the same IRQ as another.

Hi Grav!ty

As noted in my post, I cannot boot into safe mode the system just locks-up. I can log-in to Windows normaly, and the Device Manager is not showing any issues.
PRO New Member

Postby Grav!ty » Sun Nov 23, 2008 12:17 am

Maybe it's necessary for a clean install after backing up any data and stuff you want to keep. Windows does get corrupted over time.

By the way, do you have a clean install of Vista or an upgrade install?

"The great majority of mankind are satisfied with appearances, as though they were realities, and are often more influenced by the things that seem than by those that are." - Niccolo Machiavelli
PROfessional Member

Postby Castor_uk » Sun Nov 23, 2008 1:43 pm

Grav!ty wrote:Maybe it's necessary for a clean install after backing up any data and stuff you want to keep. Windows does get corrupted over time.

By the way, do you have a clean install of Vista or an upgrade install?

I have a full OEM Vista Home Premium disk.

How would I go about doing a full clean install if I cannot boot from the DVD? Can you still boot to the command line and format the c drive?
PRO New Member

Postby Grav!ty » Sun Nov 23, 2008 5:03 pm

I wonder if you have any peripheral hardware like a printer, USB drive or card reader causing the problem? Is it perhaps your DVD drive which is not getting an IRQ? At this stage it sounds like a hardware issue. Is there anything in Event Viewer which may give you an idea of what it is?

Is there any other info available when you get the BSOD, a number something like X000000000A or whatever?

PROfessional Member

Postby Castor_uk » Mon Nov 24, 2008 6:22 pm

Grav!ty wrote:I wonder if you have any peripheral hardware like a printer, USB drive or card reader causing the problem? Is it perhaps your DVD drive which is not getting an IRQ? At this stage it sounds like a hardware issue. Is there anything in Event Viewer which may give you an idea of what it is?

Is there any other info available when you get the BSOD, a number something like X000000000A or whatever?

The codes quoted where:

0x000000000A (0xFF92F52E, 0x0000002, 0x00000000, 0x80CBA8D7).

It had just occurred to me about USB hardware, that's the only extra hardware I have installed from after buying the PC; mouse - keyboard - printer and wireless adapter. I think I will try booting without them attached.

I have also read that Vista can have a problem with PCs with 4GB of RAM (which I have) which can cause install problems. However I'm not trying to install Vista, at least not yet, just run the repair install.
PRO New Member

Postby mattlant » Thu Nov 27, 2008 8:36 am

Hi, I have recently had a similar issue. Let me explain:

I had woke up yesterday morning and my computer had restarted, which i found odd, so i logged in and windows updated itself automatically, even though i previously had it set to only notify me. Ok, fine, i set it back to notify only. Then last night while I was away from the computer, it crashed (hard crash, no bsod. i hadn't restarted it since the auto update). So i reset it, and it booted to the hit ctrl alt delete screen, and then a few seconds later i got the exact same bsod as you.

I could boot into safe mode no probs. I tried disabling all non MS stuff in MSCONFIG and restarted and still same bsod, so i disabled everything in msconfig, and the computer booted fine, so it was not a driver, but rather a windows service of some sort i think. And i think it was caused by the recent updates.

I had a backup from 2 days ago and did a restore and its fine again now, but now I am afraid to do any updates in case this happens again. It is definitely not hardware related, nor driver related since i didn't do any driver updates..

I have Vista x64 Ultimate w 8gb ram, quad core intel, SB Xfi, Radeon 4850, intel chipset (p45ich10r), marvel on board nic, almost all onboard extra devices (such as soundcard, firewire, etc) are disabled.

Don't know if this helps, but i figured I would add this since it seems a similar issue.
PRO New Member

My problem solved (sort of)!

Postby Castor_uk » Fri Nov 28, 2008 9:26 pm

I unplugged all my USB hardware and connected a standard P/S2 keyboard and mouse, then bingo
PRO New Member

Re: Odd Vista boot problem = IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL

Postby theboomerang » Sun May 24, 2009 2:37 am

Matt, thanks for the help. I had the exact same problem you described. I got the IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL bluescreen immediately after doing a Vista windows update. So I spent hours going through the msconfig trying everything to see what the problem was.

I'm wondering, do you have virus protection installed? I have narrowed it down to my Symantec Endpoint Protection somehow having a conflict with the windows update. If I turn off the "Symantec Endpoint Protection" in msconfig "services" tab and reset, then everything runs fine. No bluescreen. Everything else runs fine. Personally, I'd rather have my Symantec running again than the Windows Update (whatever it did besides disable my Symantec). So, using system restore to a time previous to the windows update was the only solution.

Before someone says I have a virus, I don't think that's the case. I ran routine scans before I downloaded the windows update, and after I did, and concluded the conflict with my virus protection, I ran different programs to check for infection. Nothing bad was found.
PRO New Member

Return to General Windows Support