A Digital Age Deserves A Digital Leader

Question about VistaBootPro

Forum rules
This forum is meant for support of PRO Software only. PROnetworks reserves the right to edit any topic title to better explain the contents of a post. We also may move your post to a more suitable forum if necessary.

It may take our support staff up to 24 hours to respond to your problem. We appreciate your patience.

Question about VistaBootPro

Postby DSmith » Wed May 20, 2009 3:31 pm

Interested in buying your product, but I'm new to this. I've got a Dell running Vista with 2 hard drives. The second drive is currently formatted but empty. What I'd like to do is format and install Vista on the second drive, and then be able to boot to either drive. The goal is to have a second drive where I boot to a pristine Vista without all my current baggage. Will VistaBootPro help me set up and boot this sort of configuration.
PRO New Member

Re: Question about VistaBootPro

Postby Grav!ty » Wed May 20, 2009 3:41 pm

Your dual boot menu will be auto created by the second install of Vista, with the new Vista installation being the default boot menu item.

You don't need VistaBootPRO for that, unless you want to edit the boot menu which is in the BCD (boot configuration data) store, rename your entries, backup your BCD or change the default boot menu item, amongst other functions it's capable of.

"The great majority of mankind are satisfied with appearances, as though they were realities, and are often more influenced by the things that seem than by those that are." - Niccolo Machiavelli
PROfessional Member

Postby DSmith » Wed May 20, 2009 4:01 pm

What's involved with setting up the second drive (making it boot to Vista) and making it dual boot? Does your software help with that?
PRO New Member

Postby Grav!ty » Wed May 20, 2009 4:10 pm

You need to keep both drives plugged in and keep the drive boot priority the same as it is in the BIOS. Then simply boot to your Vista DVD, follow the setup screens, select custom install and not upgrade when prompted and then select the second drive for the new Vista install and then just continue with setup. It does help to rename your drives to something like V1 and V2 so that you can easily identify your new hard drive.

The second install of Vista will auto create a dual boot menu during setup/installation.

"The great majority of mankind are satisfied with appearances, as though they were realities, and are often more influenced by the things that seem than by those that are." - Niccolo Machiavelli
PROfessional Member

Return to PRO Software