A Digital Age Deserves A Digital Leader

Intermitent DSL drops....

Intermitent DSL drops....

Postby RAMWolff44 » Mon May 18, 2009 5:50 am

Hiya,

Strange things have been happening with my DSL connection via Vista Home Premium. I have tried every trick there is to get it straightened out. I've reset the modem a dozen times, I've uninstalled the networking and rebooted with hopes that that would clear what ever is going on and everything else. I had a router to enable wireless internet in the living room and I even took that out of the equation. I've talked with AT&T and everything seems fine on their end.

I recently had to reload the computer and all was just fine until this strange thing hit my system. I've done a full virus check. I use AVG and have all the goodies turned on. It's very strange. Things work just fine but then when I click on a link to a site like say the imdb site all of a sudden I'll loose the connection. It's very very strange. Seems to only happen with some links, like it's a bottle neck that forces the connection to drop or something.

I'm just trying to give as much info as I can.

Thanks for the help, much appreciated. At least the link to the site didn't force the drop to happen.

Shesh!! :-x

Richard :huzzah:
PRO Level 7

Re: Intermitent DSL drops....

Postby NT50 » Mon May 18, 2009 11:33 am

Since it is Vista, have you disabled IPv6
Dogs Have Owners; Cats Have Staff
PROfessional Member

Postby JabbaPapa » Mon May 18, 2009 11:56 am

Your modem may be breaking down, or alternatively it may be a hardware error of your motherboard.

It sounds like some communications ports are dysfunctional anyway.

Also, onboard LAN and USB are often the very first things to break down when a motherboard is feeling tired.

---

BUT : this sort of error is hard to diagnose correctly, so that prior to making hardware purchases you should seek to test it with another computer -- ask a friend to bring a laptop and give him/her a meal or a drink or something for thanks ;)
PRO VETERAN

Postby NT50 » Mon May 18, 2009 6:30 pm

Let me ask a question.

I take it you are running a DSL modem and also have a wireless router.

Please confirm my assumptions?
PROfessional Member

Postby RAMWolff44 » Mon May 18, 2009 8:38 pm

Hi,

Sorry, busy day so far...

Yea, I have AT&T ADSL, highest tier, so fast like a T1. The modem is questionable. Funny I was thinking that the other day. The mother board is an ASUS, I don't like their products, I'm more of a Gigabyte person but this was a premade machine so this is what I got to deal with. My USB ports do tucker out from time to time for not apparent reason but not very often. The room is very well ventilated and cool (walk in closet) so it's not an over heating thing that I can determine. I guess if this persists I should just ask AT&T for a replacement then??

What is the significance of IPv6??

Thanks for the assistance folks!! ^*^

Richard :huzzah:
PRO Level 7

Postby imnuts » Mon May 18, 2009 11:43 pm

IPv6 isn't really used in the mainstream, but having it enabled shouldn't cause any problems as your system will just not do anything if it doesn't find any IPv6 devices. Before getting a replacement modem, I'd try another computer to see if it has the same issues as that would narrow it down to either your system or your connection, and it would be easier to troubleshoot from there. The other thing it could be is a bad cable if you're using wired.
PRO SUPREME

Postby RAMWolff44 » Tue May 19, 2009 4:24 am

It's been a day with this mess. I've got AT&T coming out to the house on Wed afternoon. You wouldn't believe me if I told you but I installed the AT&T Self Help Tool (*shudder*) and well.. it seems to have reestablished the connection for a while. Not sure how it did that but it did it.
PRO Level 7

Postby NT50 » Tue May 19, 2009 11:39 am

The deal with IPv6 is I have worked on a many of computer using wireless and a couple wired that had Vista with IPv6 enabled and there modem/router could not handle it. When I turn off IPv6 everything worked fine. This issue could have been taken care of in SP1. I have not had anymore issues since SP1 was released.
PROfessional Member

Return to General Windows Support