A Digital Age Deserves A Digital Leader

Windows 7 Tools & Toys

Windows 7 Tools & Toys

Postby shreader » Sat Jan 17, 2009 6:29 am

Earlier this week I was reading Tim Snealths Post

I deceided to try some out.

This is the Problem Steps Recorder tool.

From the PSR Help:
You can use Problem Steps Recorder to automatically capture the steps you take on a computer, including a text description of where you clicked and a picture of the screen during each click (called a screen shot). Once you capture these steps, you can save them to a file that can be used by a support professional or someone else helping you with a computer problem.

To try this out go to: Start & type "psr" (w/o the quotation marks) & hit enter

That brings up the PSR recorder to the desktop.

Use the help- down arrow/ settings, to see the settings.

Desktop w/ PSR running & capturing my command prompt, every mouse click takes a capture & record.

Click Start Record.
When you want to add a comment, click Add Comment.
Use your mouse to highlight the part of the screen that you want to comment on, type your text in the Highlight Problem and Comment box, and then click OK.
Click Stop Record.
In the Save as dialog box, type a name for the file, and then click Save.
To view the record of the steps you recorded, open the .zip file you just saved, and then click the file labeled MHTML document. The document will open in your browser.

Files stored in a folder

You can change the following settings for Problem Steps Recorder:
• Output Location. To make it easier to find the files you save, click the Browse button to set a default location for the Problem Steps Recorder files.
• Enable screen capture. If you don't want to capture the screen shots along with the click information, select No. This might be a consideration if you are taking screen shots of a program that contains personal information, such as bank statements, and you are sharing the screen shots with someone else.
• Number of recent screen captures to store. While the default is 25 screens, you can increase or decrease the number of screen shots. Problem Steps Recorder only records the default number of screen shots. For example, if you took 30 screen shots during a recording but only had 25 screen shots as the default, you would be missing the first five screen shots. In this case, you would want to increase the number of default screen shots.
Software Director

Re: Windows 7 Tools & Toys

Postby kd1966 » Sat Jan 17, 2009 3:07 pm

I totally DIG the recorder!! It was what was missing in the Vista Beta program. With the help of this tool, I have already submitted more issues than I did for the Vista Beta program. ^*^
PRO PLATINUM

Postby JabbaPapa » Sat Feb 28, 2009 12:29 pm

kd1966 wrote:I totally DIG the recorder!! It was what was missing in the Vista Beta program. With the help of this tool, I have already submitted more issues than I did for the Vista Beta program. ^*^

:) the tool did exist in the Vista Beta, it has simply been vastly improved ;)
PRO VETERAN

Postby Rollin » Sat Apr 18, 2009 1:58 pm

I noticed that I could not find the PSR in the Windows 7 start menu so I pasted it to my Super bar for easy access.
It did take me a bit of practice to get something I could send someone that needed support.

PRO Level 3

Postby yeshuas » Tue Apr 21, 2009 12:38 am

I found a toy, well I guess you would call it a toy. It is a real time saver for me as I do a lot of side by side comparisons of documents and having to resize two windows with the same document open in each is tedious to say the least.

Windows 7 has a built in feature that makes this easy, and fast. You simply grab and drag one instance of a window and drag it to the left, and then grab and drag the other window to the right. They resize themselves to take up exactly half of the screen and are side by side like so.

Game Over!!!!!!!!
ASUS Maximus V Gene MB
Windows 8 X64; Windows 7 X64; Windows 7 X86
Intel I5-3570K
16GB Corsair Vengeance Ram
eVGA GeForce GTX 550 TI
Corsair GS700 PS
1TB Seagate SATA 6.0Gb HD
Thermaltake Case
Software Development

Postby shreader » Sun May 17, 2009 7:19 pm

:bump:

Here is a link to What's new in Windows 7: New possibilities

This page has links to information on several new programs.

Easier TV, movies, and video

TV, music, pictures, and video: when and where you want them

Play to

Remote Media Streaming

Keep your life in-sync with Windows Live

Windows Touch

*Re: play to: I also read somewhere that
Windows 7 RC has a new feature that enables one to stream
media to another Windows 7 PC outside the home :slackjaw:
Software Director

Return to General Windows Support