A Digital Age Deserves A Digital Leader

VistaBootPRO Bug Reporting Thread

Forum rules
This forum is meant for support of PRO Software only. PROnetworks reserves the right to edit any topic title to better explain the contents of a post. We also may move your post to a more suitable forum if necessary.

It may take our support staff up to 24 hours to respond to your problem. We appreciate your patience.

Postby Grav!ty » Wed Oct 31, 2007 2:44 pm

See my response HERE to your other post in this regard AlanM

"The great majority of mankind are satisfied with appearances, as though they were realities, and are often more influenced by the things that seem than by those that are." - Niccolo Machiavelli
PROfessional Member

Postby NT50 » Wed Oct 31, 2007 8:33 pm

You will have to copy the file bootmgr and the folder and contents "Boot" to that partition/drive. Make the Vista drive the active System/Boot partition and then reboot to Vista DVD and do a repair. After that you should be able to eliminate the partition.
Dogs Have Owners; Cats Have Staff
PROfessional Member

Re:

Postby cbebop » Sat Apr 04, 2009 8:06 pm

Grav!ty wrote:See my response HERE to your other post in this regard AlanM

link dead :-?

just warning about it hehe Image
new to vistabootpro Image
PRO New Member

Re: VistaBootPRO Bug Reporting Thread

Postby RpD » Thu May 14, 2009 11:34 am

Is this place still alive? Posts before last were from 2007?

The graphic at the top of the first page of the report bugs page says current version is 3.1?? I have 3.3

Reason for coming here... in VistaBootPro, you have an "Online Support" button, but it takes you to a "Whoa... you can't get there from here" page.

Also... having a complicated setup, after using VistaBootPro to add an OS, the bootmenu seems to have 'lost' an entry, although it still shows up in the 'All' view of VistaBootPro.

I had Vista on C:, D: (DVD drive), E: (formatted, blank mostly), F: Win7. I shrank C:Vista, moved it forward to create 15GB partition which I formatted.... then ran a Toshiba Recovery disk to put factory XP install on the first new partition. (Luckily, it detected multiple partitions and allowed me to select the first without wiping the whole hard drive.) Finished the Toshiba Recovery, rebooted and still had the old bootmenu, from which Windows Vista booted up... the newly installed XP was there on the new partition. I used VistaBootPro to add XP to the bootmenu... which it did... but...

My previous bootmenu (which I have twice-backed up... via bcdedit and via VistaBootPro) had the following:

Windows 7
Microsoft Windows Vista
Xandros Presto

Now, after I rearranged with VistaBootPro, the bootmenu has:

Windows XP
Windows Vista
Windows 7

...but it lost Xandros Presto (which VistaBootPro still shows under "All", as a 'Real-mode Boot Sector').
Ok, 'Presto' is an odd Xandros linux installation... you install it under Vista, it creates a folder and stuffs a 3.5GB .IMG file (among others) in the folder and modifies the bootmenu. (I also found xanldr, xanldr.mbr and presto.lst in the root dir of boot drive.) Then, using the bootmenu, you can select Presto, and it loads the Presto linux environment from the Vista drive.

I can restore the bootmenu backup and try again... or tinker some more to try to re-enable the Xandros Presto entry... thought I'd just make you aware of the situations. I'll check back later.
PRO New Member

Postby gries818 » Thu May 14, 2009 12:06 pm

RpD wrote:Is this place still alive? Posts before last were from 2007?

The graphic at the top of the first page of the report bugs page says current version is 3.1?? I have 3.3

Reason for coming here... in VistaBootPro, you have an "Online Support" button, but it takes you to a "Whoa... you can't get there from here" page.

Also... having a complicated setup, after using VistaBootPro to add an OS, the bootmenu seems to have 'lost' an entry, although it still shows up in the 'All' view of VistaBootPro.

I had Vista on C:, D: (DVD drive), E: (formatted, blank mostly), F: Win7. I shrank C:Vista, moved it forward to create 15GB partition which I formatted.... then ran a Toshiba Recovery disk to put factory XP install on the first new partition. (Luckily, it detected multiple partitions and allowed me to select the first without wiping the whole hard drive.) Finished the Toshiba Recovery, rebooted and still had the old bootmenu, from which Windows Vista booted up... the newly installed XP was there on the new partition. I used VistaBootPro to add XP to the bootmenu... which it did... but...

My previous bootmenu (which I have twice-backed up... via bcdedit and via VistaBootPro) had the following:

Windows 7
Microsoft Windows Vista
Xandros Presto

Now, after I rearranged with VistaBootPro, the bootmenu has:

Windows XP
Windows Vista
Windows 7

...but it lost Xandros Presto (which VistaBootPro still shows under "All", as a 'Real-mode Boot Sector').
Ok, 'Presto' is an odd Xandros linux installation... you install it under Vista, it creates a folder and stuffs a 3.5GB .IMG file (among others) in the folder and modifies the bootmenu. (I also found xanldr, xanldr.mbr and presto.lst in the root dir of boot drive.) Then, using the bootmenu, you can select Presto, and it loads the Presto linux environment from the Vista drive.

I can restore the bootmenu backup and try again... or tinker some more to try to re-enable the Xandros Presto entry... thought I'd just make you aware of the situations. I'll check back later.

Yeah, we're all still alive! We recently transitioned to phpBB3 from phpBB2, so I'm sure that is why the button didn't get changed - simple oversight :embarrassed:

As for Xandros Presto... does this Linux installation install a separate bootloader from Windows, or put itself inside the Windows boot loader?

Mac OS 10.6.7 - Personal
Ubuntu Server 11.04 - Server
Software Development

Postby RpD » Fri May 15, 2009 2:22 pm

Well, to answer your question... uhm, you tell me....

(Another long-winded post....)

VBP overview mode of my backup BCD, shows the following, for the Xandros Presto section:

Real-mode Boot Sector
---------------------
identifier {61204328-e020-11dd-bff8-924313676083}
device boot
path \xanldr.mbr
description Xandros Presto

In the root directory of the Vista boot drive, besides "xanldr.mbr", there is also a "xanldr" file and a "Presto.lst" file.

Presto.lst is simple text and contains:

default 0
timeout 0
hiddenmenu

title Xandros Presto
root (hd0,0)/PROGRA~1/Presto
kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.29-presto fastboot ahci.ignore_sss=1 quiet PRESTODEV=/dev/sda1 PRESTOPATH=/PROGRA~1/Presto WINDEV=/dev/sda1
initrd /boot/initramfs.img

--------------------------------------

Selecting 'Xandros Presto' from the bootmenu, causes you to -pop- (well, in 10-12 seconds for me, anyway) right into the Presto desktop.
It's reason for being is... quick-booting ...when you need to get to a desktop, surf the 'net, check email, access a .doc, and don't want to wait for Windows to boot.
--------------------------------------
Chapter 2...

I inherited this Toshiba notebook and had slapped Vista on it... works fine (except multimedia buttons). Then installed Win7 separately, works well too. I made Macrium Reflect image backups of Vista and Win 7 partitions.

I wanted to put (Toshiba Recovery disk) Win XP on this notebook as well; Toshiba only has XP drivers for their multimedia buttons, and I wanted to see what applications came with the system.

Well... after I booted the XP partition, it didn't assume C: drive letter... so it didn't auto-setup well. Rebooting to Vista, it started having trouble finding my user profile, so.... I just used the Toshiba Recovery to wipe the whole drive, all partitions, everything... and install the factory Win XP to one large partition. Worked great... then I used EASEUS Partition Manager and carved out some partitions for Vista and Win7 again (and a little extra (FAT) space). Used Macrium, restored Vista and Win 7... (and, sorry, grabbed a competing BCD editor to set up a bootmgr for Vista, etc). That seemed odd, no real response, but worked to reboot into Vista... then I added a bootmenu entry for WinXP... however, while XP booted fine, eventually Vista/Win7 boot attempts complained about the file signature on winload.exe. So...

I was told, by a Windows screen, that I had to run Vista install-disk 'repair'... and I did, except, it supposedly found nothing... no errors. But subsequently, Vista booted fine... and... now I am here, in forum, checking back :). Strangely now, your BCD editor doesn't enumerate the -WinXP- boot choice on the bootmenu when in Overview mode... although the entries are again still there in 'detailed' mode.... so... I haven't made any further changes. Haven't figured out how to -manually- 'add' a 'Xandros Presto' boot selecion that points to the \xanldr.mbr file... or do it with any other program... except by reinstalling Presto. I don't want to fuss with the command line editor :sleeping: ...with other gui software, if I try to add a linux entry, it doesn't use the \xanldr.mbr. Anyway...

Too bad I can't just text edit the darn stuff... I have backups of the old BCD's but I don't want to try them... as the drive lettering has changed. XP, which -was- C:, now insists on being H: and Vista won't let it be changed. Whatever... I haven't tested booting back into Win 7 yet... although the backup restore ran fine, just as the Vista backup restore did... and I can see the files, and expect it will do fine.

I can reinstall Presto... to get the boot menu settings back for it... I think. Don't know if my long, sad story is of use to you, but... thought I'd mention the quirks to someone. I should backup XP now... then I could experiment (if I was a glutton for punishment??? ;))
(This forum software is behaving oddly too... it doesn't like the length of my post, I guess, and jumps/scrolls up while I'm typing... after one window/'page' worth, perhaps... using IE8. Ahhha, I switched to 'compatibility view'... now I can type without the 'jitter' ...since I'm finished, oh well).
-RpD
PRO New Member

Postby RpD » Sun May 17, 2009 4:14 am

Maybe I misunderstood VBP... I now have everything working, but VBP only sees 2 of 4 entries as an 'OS'... I have XP and Xandros Presto options in my Microsoft bootmenu now, and they show in VBP's detailed mode, but not in Overview. Overview only shows Vista and Win 7. Oh well, menu works.
PRO New Member

Previous

Return to PRO Software