A Digital Age Deserves A Digital Leader

Vista 64 bit and XP dual boot problem

Forum rules
This forum is meant for support of PRO Software only. PROnetworks reserves the right to edit any topic title to better explain the contents of a post. We also may move your post to a more suitable forum if necessary.

It may take our support staff up to 24 hours to respond to your problem. We appreciate your patience.

Vista 64 bit and XP dual boot problem

Postby Fin » Tue May 12, 2009 2:50 pm

I have Vista installed on one drive and XP on another. Vista's drive is labeled as the system drive in disk manager. When I boot the computer, if I select Vista it works great. If I select XP I get,"<Windows root>\system32\ntoskrnl.exe". If I shut down the computer and unplug Vista's hard drive and restart, I'm able to boot and run XP with no problem. I've been pouring over the posts here and have have tried many of the recommendations over the last day and a half. Any help would be appreciated.
PRO New Member

Re: Vista 64 bit and XP dual boot problem

Postby yeshuas » Tue May 12, 2009 3:02 pm

Try this guide with both drives plugged in and while you are obviously in Vista

http://www.pronetworks.org/index.php/gu ... a_running/
Game Over!!!!!!!!
ASUS Maximus V Gene MB
Windows 8 X64; Windows 7 X64; Windows 7 X86
Intel I5-3570K
16GB Corsair Vengeance Ram
eVGA GeForce GTX 550 TI
Corsair GS700 PS
1TB Seagate SATA 6.0Gb HD
Thermaltake Case
Software Development

Postby Fin » Tue May 12, 2009 10:32 pm

Thanks for the reply. I posted expecting to be off work but then got called in. Sorry for the delay. I tried that procedure earlier and then again as per your suggestion. Its still the same. When I reboot and select XP I get,"<Windows root>\system32\ntoskrnl.exe". Which OS is missing the file XP or Vista? Should I try a repair from my OS CD?
PRO New Member

Postby yeshuas » Tue May 12, 2009 10:46 pm

Try this it should solve your issue

1. Boot into recovery console from Windows XP CD.

2. Rename C:\WINDOWS\system32\ntoskrnl.exe to anything like C:\WINDOWS\system32\ntoskrnl.old or something

3. Copy ntoskrnl.exe to C:\WINDOWS\system32 from C:\WINDOWS\system32\dllcache

4. Reboot
Game Over!!!!!!!!
ASUS Maximus V Gene MB
Intel I5-3570K
eVGA GeForce GTX 550 TI
Corsair GS700 PS
Thermaltake Case
Software Development

Postby Fin » Tue May 12, 2009 10:59 pm

Is there a command prompt? Do I type it just as you posted it? I'm a novice at this and not exactly sure what you're telling me to do.
PRO New Member

Postby Fin » Tue May 12, 2009 11:39 pm

Ok, I think i get it. I'm renaming C:\WINDOWS\system32\ntoskrnl.exe because its corrupt and we don't want it to used when the computer goes looking for C:\WINDOWS\system32\ntoskrnl.exe. Then I'm getting a good copy and copying it to C:WINDOWS\system 32 which becomes a valid replacement for the corrupt C:\WINDOWS\system32\ntoskrnl.exe. Am I thinking about this right?
PRO New Member

Postby yeshuas » Tue May 12, 2009 11:40 pm

1. Insert the Windows XP CD into your CD drive and restart your computer. If you are prompted, select any options required to start (boot) from the CD.
2. When the text-based part of Setup begins, follow the prompts. Select the repair or recover option by pressing R.
3. If you have a dual-boot or multiboot system, select the installation that you want to access from the Recovery Console.
4. When you are prompted, type the Administrator password.
5. At the command prompt, type Recovery Console commands, and then you can refer to the commands that are listed in the "Available commands within Windows Recovery Console" section.

This is where you will type the command Rename C:\WINDOWS\system32\ntoskrnl.exe (providing C:\ is where your XP install is, if not type the correct drive letter)

After that you then type Copy ntoskrnl.exe to C:\WINDOWS\system32 from C:\WINDOWS\system32\dllcache (Once again this is assuming that C is where your XP install is)

6. At any time, you can type Help for a list of available commands.
7. At any time, you can type Help commandname for help on a specific command. For example, you can type help attrib to display the help on the attributes command.
8. At any time, you can exit Windows Recovery Console by typing Exit at the command line
Game Over!!!!!!!!
ASUS Maximus V Gene MB
Intel I5-3570K
eVGA GeForce GTX 550 TI
Corsair GS700 PS
Thermaltake Case
Software Development

Postby Fin » Wed May 13, 2009 1:08 am

Thanks so much for your help but I'm flailing away here. What am I renaming C:\WINDOWS\system32\ntoskrnl.exe.; ntoskrnl.old? When I copy ntoskrnl.exe to C:\WINDOWS\system32 from C:\WINDOWS\system32\dllcache will it look like Copy C:\WINDOWS\system32\dllcache\ntoskrnl.exe_C:\WINDOWS\system32? I'm getting into the recovery console with no problem. It just doesn't like my commands.
PRO New Member

Postby Fin » Wed May 13, 2009 7:44 pm

Finally got it. Thanks.
PRO New Member

Return to PRO Software