A Digital Age Deserves A Digital Leader

NIC doesn't see TCP/IP stack(solved for now)

NIC doesn't see TCP/IP stack(solved for now)

Postby augie » Sat May 09, 2009 12:36 pm

This all started when I was upgrading my video card to a 260 which didn't work, back to a 9800GT for now. I also had a corrupted BIOS so I upgraded that without any expectations as none of that change log applied to me, just to get a fresh flash. Oh, this was before I installed the 260

Since then, the onboard NIC on my ASUS P5Q-Pro wasn't seen anymore. I then installed a NIC card and it's only seen by XP with an error stating that it can't 'Query TCP/IP Stack' and neither Vista nor W7 can even see the NIC.

I did try the NIC in the last PCI slot but that didn't work or was seen at all by anything, I then moved it up one slot and now only XP sees it, I don't have any more PCI slots to try. I did eliminate the router by going directly to the modem and it recognizes the NIC card but not the onboard NIC.

Can anyone give me a hint of what to try next? Thanks. *sigh*

(specs in sig)
Everything that irritates us about others can lead us to an understanding of ourselves. -- Carl Jung

eVGA X58 tri-SLI, i7 930 @ 3.8GHz., Corsair 6GB Dominator, Inno3D GTX470, eVGA260
ASUS P8P67 Pro, i7 2600K @4.60 GHz, 8GB RAM, eVGA GTX 460
Community Director

Re: NIC doesn't see TCP/IP stack

Postby shreader » Sat May 09, 2009 1:21 pm

Try the onboard LAN ?

Oops, I see you tried that before installing the new card.

Maybe check the BIOS to make sure its enabled?
Software Director

Postby augie » Sat May 09, 2009 2:15 pm

shreader wrote:Try the onboard LAN ?

Oops, I see you tried that before installing the new card.

Maybe check the BIOS to make sure its enabled?

I enabled it JD with the same results. I'm going to flash this board back to what it was originally as things are different from what I saw last year when building this as things are on by default now which never were before like ExpressGate and Marvell IDE support(I have no IDE drives!). :confused Now to RTFM like I have never done before as it has to be done in DOS.

I may as well start from scratch, including removing the NIC card and rechecking all connections just to make sure while I'm at it. BTW, I ran a LiveCD and that couldn't connect either so it definitely is a hardware issue.
Everything that irritates us about others can lead us to an understanding of ourselves. -- Carl Jung

eVGA X58 tri-SLI, i7 930 @ 3.8GHz., Corsair 6GB Dominator, Inno3D GTX470, eVGA260
Community Director

Postby shreader » Sat May 09, 2009 3:03 pm

I am sorry that you have to jump through so many hoops w/ your ASUS MB Augie.

I flashed the BIOS on mine (in siggy) also (v 2002) & also noticed that it changed the defaults on me too.
The new BIOS switched the default SATA HDD on me so the PC wouldn't boot until & changed the BIOS to the correct HDD.

I used the ASUS EZ Flash 2 Utility w/ the new file on a flash drive.
Software Director

Postby NT50 » Sat May 09, 2009 5:23 pm

Try

ipconfig /flushdns

if that does now work then try a program called

winsockfix
Dogs Have Owners; Cats Have Staff
PROfessional Member

Postby augie » Sun May 10, 2009 6:58 pm

After several moves of the NIC, it is now working properly. Jeez man, I must have rebooted 50 times trying different cables and BIOS configurations! I'm still having issues with the onboard NIC but I think I'll leave well enough alone for now, I will not try the onboard again until I first understand what happened, if I can.

One strange thing is that the NIC is now called #3 and the onboard isn't even seen yet as I uninstalled the drivers. Man, three days of :bashhead ! At least I can get back to folding now, sort of as the NIC is blocking my install of the second 9800GT, at least I'll have something going for now.:)

I'm also going to reinstall Ubuntu on my X2 rig but this time it will be a dual boot with XP in case I need a Windows OS, but that's for another day. :yesnod:

Thanks all. :yesnod:

Community Director

Re: NIC doesn't see TCP/IP stack(solved for now)

Postby augie » Sat May 16, 2009 5:50 pm

OK, I can't get the onboard ethernet going even though the Atheros drivers look good, Device Mgr is clean and the light is on on the motherboard as if it's working, tried different cables too, perhaps the mobo connector went bad.

I have since stopped trying to get this going as I was able get my NIC working in the last PCI slot. I needed this as I'm running two dual-slot GPU's and there was no room. I'm assuming that all the in/re-install of the NIC card removed some gunk that may have been there as the card is old. Thanks for the the help all! ^*^ :drinking

WHEW!

Community Director

Return to Hardware and Customizing