A Digital Age Deserves A Digital Leader

Windows Virtual PC Beta - x64 & Windows XP Mode Install

Windows Virtual PC Beta - x64 & Windows XP Mode Install

Postby shreader » Thu May 07, 2009 3:32 am

Tonight I wanted to install the Windows Virtual PC Beta & Windows XP Mode on the Rig w/ Windows 7 RC x64 installed on that partition.
It was very easy once I had the downloads ready & some instructions to follow.

NTS I pulled it off w/o any hiccups at all.

Here are some screenys in order from my install & exploring.

I found that I could not drag a .jpg to or from the VXP but rt. clk. & copy then paste on the desired location worked fine, even for a whole folder of photos.
Software Director

Re: Windows Virtual PC Beta - x64 & Windows XP Mode Install

Postby Grav!ty » Thu May 07, 2009 3:56 am

Thanks for this write up JD. I was going to give XP Mode on Virtual PC a try but because of the relatively poor hardware configuration that one gets on Virtual PC (compared to VMware Server), I'll give it a miss unless there's been some changes in the new Virtual PC :yesnod:

Is one able to, for example increase the amount of RAM allocated to the Virtual PC?

"The great majority of mankind are satisfied with appearances, as though they were realities, and are often more influenced by the things that seem than by those that are." - Niccolo Machiavelli
PROfessional Member

Postby shreader » Thu May 07, 2009 4:46 am

Grav!ty wrote:...
Is one able to, for example increase the amount of RAM allocated to the Virtual PC?

I was able to increase my RAM from 256 to 768 MB, it took a few tries, one has to shut the VXP down w/ the ctrl-Alt-Del button next choose the "Shut Down" button then choose Shut Down in the box that pops-up.
Next open the Win Virtual PC (folder)/Virtual Machines on the Start Menu & choose Settings, then change it there.

Software Director

Postby Grav!ty » Fri May 08, 2009 2:05 am

Overall, I guess I'm just a bit disappointed that "XP Mode" is nothing more than installing Virtual PC and running XP with a pre-configured virtual machine :yesnod: It's not quite like the name "XP Mode" suggests.

"The great majority of mankind are satisfied with appearances, as though they were realities, and are often more influenced by the things that seem than by those that are." - Niccolo Machiavelli
PROfessional Member

Postby imnuts » Fri May 08, 2009 2:43 am

I thought that XP Mode would be more of an emulation layer, similar to running WINE within Linux, where there are XP system files residing somewhere that are used for the software being run under it, rather than a full XP virtual machine. Personally, I think that ruins some of the interoperability as well.
PRO SUPREME

Postby shreader » Wed May 20, 2009 1:53 am

I thought I'd try out increasing the VXP speed by tweaking the view/ update speed in the task manager.
The default is "Normal", I changed it to "High"

I also ran benchmarks before & after making the change, I thought this was only for the Task Mgr. but it appearers to affect the rest of the VPC too.

Software Director

Postby shreader » Thu May 21, 2009 4:37 am

I am still testing n playing w/ the VPC XP Mode while waiting for the next Lakers Game.

Here are a few screenys from XP Mode from my tonights look around I thought I'd share.

Device Manager

Disk Manager, only the C drive is visible here.

My Computer, all the JD-Main drives match up w/ the same lettering as in Windows 7 RC x64 (the XP Mode host).

Vista H Drive view, the folders are accessible, none are padlocked as from Win7 RC.
Software Director

Postby rebeldawg » Fri May 22, 2009 4:23 am

The only bad part about the virtual PC beta and XP mode is that it requires cpus with virtualization.
If your cpu doesn't have it then you're screwed which sucks because I'm one of those people left out
in the cold. Microsoft should release a version that doesn't require it.
PRO New Member

Postby shreader » Sat May 30, 2009 1:44 pm

Here is the Windows 7 Start Menu w/ the VPC apps listed also & available to start from here, at least the one I tried last night started fine (in VPC) from here.

Software Director

Postby ChristianM » Wed Jun 17, 2009 6:47 am

i just need to know one thing. which drivers does windows xp mode uses? does it use windows 7 drivers or we have to install windows xp drivers seperately? e.g if one of my game works fine in windows xp and doesn't work on windows 7, then will it work on windows xp mode? thanks.
PRO Level 2

Next

Return to General Windows Support