A Digital Age Deserves A Digital Leader

BIOS error on boot,

BIOS error on boot,

Postby augie » Wed May 06, 2009 3:50 pm

Here's the background:

1# Installed W7/VMWare, left it running all night but had forgotten to turn off sleep etc.
2# No response trying to wake it so restart.
3# BIOS says it's corrupted or along those lines, booted into BIOS and reset to factory defaults, then BIOS says boot hard drive is not found but it's there in the BIOS menu. Also lost my W7 install, Vista and legacy were OK.
4# Repaired the drive with W7 disk, auto style and everything works now and the HDD is recognized when inside windows but I still get the BIOS HDD missing error on boot-up.

Any recommendations?
Everything that irritates us about others can lead us to an understanding of ourselves. -- Carl Jung

eVGA X58 tri-SLI, i7 930 @ 3.8GHz., Corsair 6GB Dominator, Inno3D GTX470, eVGA260
ASUS P8P67 Pro, i7 2600K @4.60 GHz, 8GB RAM, eVGA GTX 460
Community Director

Re: BIOS error on boot,

Postby yeshuas » Wed May 06, 2009 3:59 pm

What kind of HD is it, and have you checked in bios to make sure it is set to the correct settings for the HD, e.g. is it set to AHCI, or use as IDE, or configure SATA as Standard IDE etc etc etc.
Game Over!!!!!!!!
ASUS Maximus V Gene MB
Windows 8 X64; Windows 7 X64; Windows 7 X86
Intel I5-3570K
16GB Corsair Vengeance Ram
eVGA GeForce GTX 550 TI
Corsair GS700 PS
1TB Seagate SATA 6.0Gb HD
Thermaltake Case
Software Development

Postby augie » Wed May 06, 2009 5:38 pm

Meh, had to recharge the batteries on my cam, forgot to turn it off! :embarrassed: :silly: :lol: I figure this is the best way to explain. The other two drives show the basic same info. It doesn't seem to look like it did but then I'm not often in the BIOS either. IDK. :confused

Everything that irritates us about others can lead us to an understanding of ourselves. -- Carl Jung

eVGA X58 tri-SLI, i7 930 @ 3.8GHz., Corsair 6GB Dominator, Inno3D GTX470, eVGA260
Community Director

Postby Grav!ty » Thu May 07, 2009 12:34 am

What motherboard are you using Algis...I want to see the BIOS setup in the manual.

Otherwise, and this is not to solve the problem but a possible temporary solution, is there something in the BIOS you can set to "Stop only on keyboard or mouse errors" instead of "Stop on all errors"?

"The great majority of mankind are satisfied with appearances, as though they were realities, and are often more influenced by the things that seem than by those that are." - Niccolo Machiavelli
PROfessional Member

Postby Grav!ty » Thu May 07, 2009 1:03 am

Looks like I've got pretty much the same core BIOS as you. Here's what my settings are inside the Storage Configuration page at the second to last entry on that screenshot of yours:

SATA Configuration [Enhanced]
Configure SATA as [IDE]
Hard Disk Write Protect [Disabled]

"The great majority of mankind are satisfied with appearances, as though they were realities, and are often more influenced by the things that seem than by those that are." - Niccolo Machiavelli
PROfessional Member

Postby augie » Thu May 07, 2009 3:26 am

Grav!ty wrote:What motherboard are you using Algis...I want to see the BIOS setup in the manual.

Otherwise, and this is not to solve the problem but a possible temporary solution, is there something in the BIOS you can set to "Stop only on keyboard or mouse errors" instead of "Stop on all errors"?

P5Q-Pro Here's the config you asked for. Thanks

Community Director

Postby Grav!ty » Thu May 07, 2009 3:59 am

Geesh Algis, I don't know what to suggest...as far as your BIOS settings go they look good.

I wonder if sleep mode or hibernation locks the drive or has some sort of encryption that it imposes? Short of a format and reinstall, I guess one can't tell.

Are you still getting a message that your BIOS is corrupted?

PROfessional Member

Postby augie » Thu May 07, 2009 4:25 am

Grav!ty wrote:Geesh Algis, I don't know what to suggest...as far as your BIOS settings go they look good.

I wonder if sleep mode or hibernation locks the drive or has some sort of encryption that it imposes? Short of a format and reinstall, I guess one can't tell.

Are you still getting a message that your BIOS is corrupted?

Corrupted message disappeared after I reset BIOS to factory defaults, now it's only the 'no drives detected' that's left, however the message does not hang the system, more of an annoyance really ATP. I'm debating whether to flash it or not. I just hope this ain't the beginning of the end.

Community Director

Postby JabbaPapa » Thu May 07, 2009 6:36 am

It does sound like a failing mobo though :(
PRO VETERAN

Postby augie » Thu May 07, 2009 2:34 pm

JabbaPapa wrote:It does sound like a failing mobo though :(

Thankfully it's not! :() ^*^ For some obscure reason, returning to factory defaults this time turned on some functions that I don't ever remember turning off the other times I hit the factory default key, the only thing I ever changed was the floppy since I don't have one. :confused I think I overdid things as I don't have a POST screen anymore but I think I know where that is as I saw one option to 'Force BIOS'. What worked to get rid of the 'no drives detected' error was to disable the 'Marvell IDE ' which I don't use along with Express Gate. :sick I also updated the BIOS in the process which didn't help any, not that I expected it to. Thanks for the help folks. :yesnod:

Now to go install my new eVGA GTX260-216! ^*^ :() :energetic: :yahoo:

Community Director

Return to Hardware and Customizing