A Digital Age Deserves A Digital Leader

Virtual Machine VMware Server 1.0.8 on Windows 7

Re: VMware Player 2.5.2 on Windows 7

Postby Grav!ty » Tue May 05, 2009 2:38 am

Installing and uninstalling VMware Player 2.5.2 somehow broke a lot of things on my Windows 7 installation...for example I can't get to right click Computer>Manage...I get an error message that I need to associate a program with the link :-? The only way I can get there is to go directly to Computer Management via Control Panel.

Oh well, reinstall here we go :harley: :pirate:

"The great majority of mankind are satisfied with appearances, as though they were realities, and are often more influenced by the things that seem than by those that are." - Niccolo Machiavelli
PROfessional Member

Postby augie » Tue May 05, 2009 4:00 am

imnuts wrote:I tried to test out VMWare Server 2.x but they changed everything around and made it more like a server product and I couldn't find any local interface to configure machines on. I didn't play around with it to much though, so maybe I missed something. Personally, VMWare Workstation is the easiest to use, to bad it's expensive :-?

Ya, I must've spent a good afternoon on trying to get 2.x going with no success and most, if not all folders, do not use it. I'll give it another shot, but not obsess about it too much this time. :bashhead
Everything that irritates us about others can lead us to an understanding of ourselves. -- Carl Jung

eVGA X58 tri-SLI, i7 930 @ 3.8GHz., Corsair 6GB Dominator, Inno3D GTX470, eVGA260
ASUS P8P67 Pro, i7 2600K @4.60 GHz, 8GB RAM, eVGA GTX 460
Community Director

Re: Virtual Machine VMware Server 1.0.8 on Windows 7

Postby Grav!ty » Wed May 06, 2009 3:29 am

VMware Server 1.0.8 runs beautifully on Window 7. Installation needed me to add ISS from Add Windows Components in Control Panel and that was a cinch.

The hardware that was setup for Windows XP Pro is great and I was a bit surprised there's no GPU selection from the hardware configuration. After installing XP I found there were drivers needed for the GPU and tried to use the USB drive to install them but I kept getting an error message to contact VMware Support. I'll just have to download the drivers and see if they install. Copy and paste from Windows 7 to the Virtual Machine doesn't work even though I've enabled it.

So I think it will take a bit of working on but it seems to work great so far, especially once I installed the VMware Tools. Here's a screenshot:

I may give the Virtual PC based XP Mode a try to see how that compares. I was a bit surprised to see it was available for Windows 7 Ultimate and not just for the Enterprise edition :yesnod:

"The great majority of mankind are satisfied with appearances, as though they were realities, and are often more influenced by the things that seem than by those that are." - Niccolo Machiavelli
PROfessional Member

Postby imnuts » Wed May 06, 2009 11:00 am

Try to install VMWare Tools inside the virtual machine if you haven't already. That should allow for copy/paste between the virtual machine and your computer.
PRO SUPREME

Postby thunderous » Sun Jan 03, 2010 2:00 am

augie wrote:
Grav!ty wrote:
augie wrote:Just be aware that VMWare when installing takes over the whole system as far as usability is concerned, slows everything right down for some 15 minutes. Oh, if you're running W7 X64 then you'll have to disable driver signing on boot up.

Thanks Algis, when I googled for VMWare Server 1.08 I found your install guide right there on the first page at third from the top :notworthy

http://www.google.co.za/search?hl=en&q= ... mware+1.08

:() :lol: That is truly amazing Graham! :shocked: :blink I never expected that! I guess I better spruce it up a tad and include the W7 info that I :bashhead and I got for these last two days! :lol: I also want to start testing the 2.xx as I haven't been able to get there yet. Time to RTFM eh?! :silly:

Hi Guys,

Could you post the URL to the guide you mentioned? I would like to install VMware Server 1.x on Windows 7 but have run into the pile of unsigned drivers errors. I looked at a bunch of hits on Google but none looked like the installation guide you mentioned?

Thanks!
PRO New Member

Postby Grav!ty » Sun Jan 03, 2010 2:44 am

PROfessional Member

Previous

Return to General Windows Support