A Digital Age Deserves A Digital Leader

Virtual Machine VMware Server 1.0.8 on Windows 7

Virtual Machine VMware Server 1.0.8 on Windows 7

Postby Grav!ty » Mon May 04, 2009 1:16 am

Anyone tried VMware Player 2.5.2 on Windows 7? I'd like to see if I can install XP Pro to it :yesnod:

http://www.vmware.com/download/player/download.html

"The great majority of mankind are satisfied with appearances, as though they were realities, and are often more influenced by the things that seem than by those that are." - Niccolo Machiavelli
PROfessional Member

Re: VMware Player 2.5.2 on Windows 7

Postby imnuts » Mon May 04, 2009 2:16 am

Grav!ty wrote:Anyone tried VMware Player 2.5.2 on Windows 7? I'd like to see if I can install XP Pro to it :yesnod:

http://www.vmware.com/download/player/download.html

VMWare player is for pre-existing virtual machines, so unless there was a virtual machine with XP pre-installed or pre-setup to have XP installed, you wouldn't be able to install XP on it.
PRO SUPREME

Postby Grav!ty » Mon May 04, 2009 2:29 am

Thanks Mark. Yeah I just installed and discovered that one then has to go and buy a preconfigured workstation. I'll stick to the freebie Virtual PC, although I really don't like the hardware configuration on Virtual PC because it's usually way inferior to the system it's installed on.

"The great majority of mankind are satisfied with appearances, as though they were realities, and are often more influenced by the things that seem than by those that are." - Niccolo Machiavelli
PROfessional Member

Postby imnuts » Mon May 04, 2009 10:12 am

You could use VMWare Server. Version 1.x is very similar to using the workstation product and it would allow you to setup and run virtual machines as you wish.
PRO SUPREME

Postby yeshuas » Mon May 04, 2009 12:18 pm

imnuts wrote:You could use VMWare Server. Version 1.x is very similar to using the workstation product and it would allow you to setup and run virtual machines as you wish.

Yes Graham, we folders use VMWare Server 1.08 to fold with and it is free, you just have to register.
Game Over!!!!!!!!
ASUS Maximus V Gene MB
Windows 8 X64; Windows 7 X64; Windows 7 X86
Intel I5-3570K
16GB Corsair Vengeance Ram
eVGA GeForce GTX 550 TI
Corsair GS700 PS
1TB Seagate SATA 6.0Gb HD
Thermaltake Case
Software Development

Postby Grav!ty » Mon May 04, 2009 2:18 pm

Thanks guys, downloading VMware Server Installer 1.08 now :)

PROfessional Member

Postby augie » Mon May 04, 2009 2:28 pm

Just be aware that VMWare when installing takes over the whole system as far as usability is concerned, slows everything right down for some 15 minutes. Oh, if you're running W7 X64 then you'll have to disable driver signing on boot up, then install VM and every boot up thereafter.
Everything that irritates us about others can lead us to an understanding of ourselves. -- Carl Jung

eVGA X58 tri-SLI, i7 930 @ 3.8GHz., Corsair 6GB Dominator, Inno3D GTX470, eVGA260
ASUS P8P67 Pro, i7 2600K @4.60 GHz, 8GB RAM, eVGA GTX 460
Community Director

Postby Grav!ty » Mon May 04, 2009 2:32 pm

augie wrote:Just be aware that VMWare when installing takes over the whole system as far as usability is concerned, slows everything right down for some 15 minutes. Oh, if you're running W7 X64 then you'll have to disable driver signing on boot up.

Thanks Algis, when I googled for VMWare Server 1.08 I found your install guide right there on the first page at third from the top :notworthy

http://www.google.co.za/search?hl=en&q= ... mware+1.08

PROfessional Member

Postby augie » Mon May 04, 2009 2:39 pm

Grav!ty wrote:
augie wrote:Just be aware that VMWare when installing takes over the whole system as far as usability is concerned, slows everything right down for some 15 minutes. Oh, if you're running W7 X64 then you'll have to disable driver signing on boot up.

Thanks Algis, when I googled for VMWare Server 1.08 I found your install guide right there on the first page at third from the top :notworthy

http://www.google.co.za/search?hl=en&q= ... mware+1.08

:() :lol: That is truly amazing Graham! :shocked: :blink I never expected that! I guess I better spruce it up a tad and include the W7 info that I :bashhead and I got for these last two days! :lol: I also want to start testing the 2.xx as I haven't been able to get there yet. Time to RTFM eh?! :silly:
Everything that irritates us about others can lead us to an understanding of ourselves. -- Carl Jung

eVGA X58 tri-SLI, i7 930 @ 3.8GHz., Corsair 6GB Dominator, Inno3D GTX470, eVGA260
ASUS P8P67 Pro, i7 2600K @4.60 GHz, 8GB RAM, eVGA GTX 460
Community Director

Postby imnuts » Mon May 04, 2009 10:00 pm

I tried to test out VMWare Server 2.x but they changed everything around and made it more like a server product and I couldn't find any local interface to configure machines on. I didn't play around with it to much though, so maybe I missed something. Personally, VMWare Workstation is the easiest to use, to bad it's expensive :-?
PRO SUPREME

Next

Return to General Windows Support