A Digital Age Deserves A Digital Leader

VistaBootPRO: What would you like it to be able to do?

Forum rules
This forum is meant for support of PRO Software only. PROnetworks reserves the right to edit any topic title to better explain the contents of a post. We also may move your post to a more suitable forum if necessary.

It may take our support staff up to 24 hours to respond to your problem. We appreciate your patience.

Postby kd1966 » Fri Mar 16, 2007 4:04 pm

Tordenflesk wrote:excalibur14: That's just not possible, because the running OS will always assign itself as the first "disk"(C: ) and then asign drive-letters after that.

Not necessarily true; depending on how the "running OS" was installed plays a big factor in determining how it will assign drive letters. Most OS installations that are done by booting the media take the C, but I've seen other methods initiated from within Windows that take different letters
PRO PLATINUM

Postby JabbaPapa » Fri Mar 16, 2007 5:32 pm

I have (very VERY rarely) seen setup from DVD assigning a different letter than C: for the Vista volume ;) (oh OK but --- only when existing Vista boot files and pre-Vista boot environment were already present in the rig :P )
PRO VETERAN

Postby excalibur14 » Fri Mar 16, 2007 7:27 pm

@Tordenflesk

That is fine...

When I am in Windows XP I want to assign Q: as the Vista Drive.

When I am in Vista I want to assign Q: as the XP drive.

In this way i can assign D: to the documents drive irrespective of which OS I am in.

I am sure there must be some way of doing it... :yesnod: :notworthy :yesnod:

E
PRO New Member

Postby RodWiddowson » Fri Apr 13, 2007 8:52 am

Better support of Kernel developers: specifically

1) When you create a new boot you need to specify (the equiv of)

bcdedit /set {current} inherit {bootloadersettings}

2) Need to be able to set up the /DBGsettings

3) need to be able to set/clear /debug
PRO New Member

Postby colsaunders2 » Fri Apr 13, 2007 11:34 am

excalibur14 wrote:When I am in Windows XP I want to assign Q: as the Vista Drive.

In this way i can assign D: to the documents drive irrespective of which OS I am in.

You can change the drive letters easily - just open Disk Management (diskmgmt.msc), right-click the intended drive and select "Change Drive Letter and Paths..." - click the 'Change' button to select the new drive letter. Do this in both OSes :yesnod:
mATX build
ASUS P8P67-M PRO, i7-2600k @ 4.4, 8GB Corsair XMS3 @ 2133 (9-11-10-28), PNY GTX 570 (750/1500/2000), Corsair H50, Strider Plus 750W, SG03B-F, VH238H, W7U x64

DELL Precision M6400
QX9300 @ 3.06, 8GB DDR3-1333, 1GB Quadro FX 3700M, Intel X-25M 160GB, Seagate 7200.4 500GB, 17" WUXGA E2E RGBLED, W7E x64
PRO Level 9

Postby kd1966 » Tue Apr 24, 2007 1:58 am

Here's my "short list" of what I'd LIKE VBpro to do:

- During the install, look at the HDD's/partitions and see if there is a dual/multi-boot scenario, then copy the bcdedit.exe/bootsect.exe files to the XP partition (\win\sys32\) as well as to where it belongs in Vista.

- Possibly also look (By default) during the BCD backup phase at the "My Documents" or whatever we want to call it these days. I know in Vista it's sorta changed, but could VBPro "sense" what OS is running and go to that specific users "Documents" directory for BCD backup?

- Is it at all possible to have a VBPro bootdisk? (Floppy/CD) I'm not even sure why I'm asking for this one, but I've heard some requests.............. would/could it work?
PRO PLATINUM

Re:

Postby cbebop » Sat Apr 04, 2009 8:03 pm

colsaunders2 wrote:
excalibur14 wrote:When I am in Windows XP I want to assign Q: as the Vista Drive.

You can change the drive letters easily - just open Disk Management (diskmgmt.msc), right-click the intended drive and select "Change Drive Letter and Paths..." - click the 'Change' button to select the new drive letter. Do this in both OSes :yesnod:

Thanks Image

Also had that problem
new to vistabootpro Image
PRO New Member

Re: VistaBootPRO: What would you like it to be able to do?

Postby masudkarim » Fri May 01, 2009 6:49 pm

Would you like to open the Events log? ... I'm afraid you won't be able to find the help you need here. ... What should I do after this? I really want to get Windows Vista out of my Toshiba laptop and run the recovery CD that it came
PRO New Member

Re: VistaBootPRO: What would you like it to be able to do?

Postby augie » Fri May 01, 2009 6:59 pm

masudkarim wrote:Would you like to open the Events log? ... I'm afraid you won't be able to find the help you need here. ... What should I do after this? I really want to get Windows Vista out of my Toshiba laptop and run the recovery CD that it came

Welcome aboard but please don't post your issues in someone else's thread, start your own please.;)
Everything that irritates us about others can lead us to an understanding of ourselves. -- Carl Jung

eVGA X58 tri-SLI, i7 930 @ 3.8GHz., Corsair 6GB Dominator, Inno3D GTX470, eVGA260
ASUS P8P67 Pro, i7 2600K @4.60 GHz, 8GB RAM, eVGA GTX 460
Community Director

Previous

Return to PRO Software