A Digital Age Deserves A Digital Leader

Ubuntu uninstall - BCDedit help

Forum rules
This forum is meant for support of PRO Software only. PROnetworks reserves the right to edit any topic title to better explain the contents of a post. We also may move your post to a more suitable forum if necessary.

It may take our support staff up to 24 hours to respond to your problem. We appreciate your patience.

Ubuntu uninstall - BCDedit help

Postby teebs85 » Sun Apr 26, 2009 9:03 pm

I have Vista Home Premium and installed Ubuntu with the Wubi utility for dual boot option. Ubuntu when installed with Wubi resides in a folder on the C:/ drive rather than in a partition. Then I uninstalled Ubuntu through the control panel according to instructions, and even though Ubuntu is not listed any more on the Add/Remove list, the option of starting Ubuntu is still there when I boot (though does not work anymore), and the Ubuntu folder is still on my C:/ drive. The 15 Gb Ubuntu allocation has not been freed up either. On other forums the suggested solution for similar cases is to delete the Ubuntu folder and then remove the entry referring to Ubuntu in the bootloader. I have VistaBootPro installed, but need directions how to edit the file.

Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.
PRO New Member

Re: Ubuntu uninstall - BCDedit help

Postby yeshuas » Sun Apr 26, 2009 10:53 pm

Does the Ubuntu name show up on the "Manage OS Entries" page in VistaBootPro?

If yes then click on it once to highlite it, then click on the "Red X" to delete it.
Game Over!!!!!!!!
ASUS Maximus V Gene MB
Windows 8 X64; Windows 7 X64; Windows 7 X86
Intel I5-3570K
16GB Corsair Vengeance Ram
eVGA GeForce GTX 550 TI
Corsair GS700 PS
1TB Seagate SATA 6.0Gb HD
Thermaltake Case
Software Development

Postby teebs85 » Mon Apr 27, 2009 10:35 pm

yeshuas wrote:Does the Ubuntu name show up on the "Manage OS Entries" page in VistaBootPro?

If yes then click on it once to highlite it, then click on the "Red X" to delete it.

It did not show up on the "Manage OS Entries" list, but did under the "Detailed" option of "View Settings". Fortunately I was able to delete it by using another utility.

Thanks.
PRO New Member

Postby masudkarim » Fri May 01, 2009 6:50 pm

I had Ubuntu installed on a removable HD which died recently so, I have reverted back to Windows Vista for a few weeks however I am now going to reinstall Ubuntu, however whenever I boot my system I get the option to boot into Ubuntu from the Boot Menu, obviously as the drive no longer exists, I can't boot into it using that. I have tried VistaBoot Pro and that can't remove the entry, and I have also gone into msconfig and there is no record of it there either. However looking at the BCD file there is still an entry under the "Real Mode Boot Sector.

I have not been able to find ANY information on this anywhere, so any help would be greatly appreciated. Here is the BCD incase it helps:
PRO New Member

Postby Tomtreas » Sun May 03, 2009 3:59 am

It appears to me that this issue is not about uninstalling Ubuntu as much as it is the ability to manipulate the Ubuntu entry that appears in the Vista bootloader menu. This items does not seem to be editable with VisatBootPro. I for one am somewhat distraught because I just paid $10, (no time demo or anything on it) just to find out that I could NOT set Ubuntu as my default bootup by this software. I knew I could set that for FREE from the Windows System Properties, Startup and Recovery Settings dialog, but I wanted something a bit prettier than that... also something that involved a few less mouse clicks than driving all the way into the above mentioned dialog. The only thing I can hope is that my $10 investment is not in vain and that this software will soon support manipulation of the Ubuntu item in the menu very soon. :-)
PRO New Member

Return to PRO Software