A Digital Age Deserves A Digital Leader

Starting VMware problem

Forum rules
Welcome to our modest though robust team of folders! You are all more than welcome to join us or ask specific questions about how to go about folding but please start a new thread to post your questions, this way nothing of importance will be lost and everyone here will help you out.

If you just want to chat folding then the Folding@Home Home thread will be great!

Re: Starting VMware problem

Postby imnuts » Fri Apr 24, 2009 9:47 am

To me, it seems like the VMWare service(s) aren't starting up and that is what is preventing you from running VMWare. Not sure why they'd just decide to stop working though, especially if you uninstalled and reinstalled everything.
PRO SUPREME

Postby BILLMCC66 » Fri Apr 24, 2009 12:08 pm

Acouple of things i find strange are that when i load VMware it will not let me start just as if virtualisation was off and yet when i start VM 2007 from MS it shows virtualisation allowed (this does not show in VMware) but i can not use the MS version because it is only for 32bit and i am running Vista 64bit Ultimate.

I am going to keep trying to find a solution but am running out of ideas.
STILL LEARNING

LOGIC CAN GET YOU FROM A TO B BUT IMAGINATION CAN GET YOU ANYWHERE
PRO Level 8

Postby augie » Fri Apr 24, 2009 2:31 pm

One thing Bill that I'm not clear on, did you just stop the firewall or did you uninstall it? I had a similar problem to that where the only thing that worked was uninstalling the firewall app. and rebooting. Only after the VM was working did I reinstall the FW.
Everything that irritates us about others can lead us to an understanding of ourselves. -- Carl Jung

eVGA X58 tri-SLI, i7 930 @ 3.8GHz., Corsair 6GB Dominator, Inno3D GTX470, eVGA260
ASUS P8P67 Pro, i7 2600K @4.60 GHz, 8GB RAM, eVGA GTX 460
Community Director

Postby BILLMCC66 » Fri Apr 24, 2009 2:43 pm

I just stopped all the security (firewall antivirus )

I have just been playing with it again and i got a message that IIS had failed so i have been looking around MS to see if there is a check for IIS or an install application but all i can find are updates and when i try those they will not install.
Further investigation underway.

Mind you i should not complain too much as it is producing points at a good rate (i am just greedy, i want more :drool: )
STILL LEARNING

PRO Level 8

Postby augie » Fri Apr 24, 2009 3:23 pm

BILLMCC66 wrote:I just stopped all the security (firewall antivirus )

I have just been playing with it again and i got a message that IIS had failed so i have been looking around MS to see if there is a check for IIS or an install application but all i can find are updates and when i try those they will not install.
Further investigation underway.

Mind you i should not complain too much as it is producing points at a good rate (i am just greedy, i want more :drool: )

LOL, I know.;) That's a good greed too, for once! ^*^ You're on your own with VPC though as I also got hit with the IIS issue though I'm not sure it was the same problem. My memory is almost as good as yours. :silly: :bashhead :P :lol: Seriously, try to get VM going as that's what everyone is using and there are no guides around for VPC. All the big boys who get 1M PPD or more all use GPU + VM and I would guess most everyone else if not all.

Hang on Bill, you said Vista 64 right? Maybe this will give you a hint of where to go next though it is dated.

I - Windows Vista 64-bit notes
Quote:
Windows 64-bit users are going to have the problem of windows complaining about unsigned drivers. For this you have a couple of options.

A) Use Vmware server 2.0. I did do an install of vmware 2.0 and windows did not complain. But i have not configured a vm with it yet. In the future perhaps i will do this, or if someone else cares to, i will add the install procedure for vmware server 2.0.

B) Before windows starts loading, just after your bios finish the POST routine, hit your F8 key and it will bring up an advanced boot menu. In there is an option to disable driver signature checking. The only annoying part is, you will have to do this every time you reboot. This is what i do, but i have to go through a multi-boot menu regardless.

C)For this option you will have to perform the above operation for the install of vmware server 1.0.x, reboot, F8, select disable driver signing, and install vmware. There is also an application that will enable 'Test Mode' for vista64. This is designed for developers who are creating drivers that are not yet signed. It allows you to set Test Mode on which is basically the same as doing (B). Hit up google for enabling windows vista 64 test mode for more info.

OCForums
Everything that irritates us about others can lead us to an understanding of ourselves. -- Carl Jung

eVGA X58 tri-SLI, i7 930 @ 3.8GHz., Corsair 6GB Dominator, Inno3D GTX470, eVGA260
Community Director

Postby yeshuas » Fri Apr 24, 2009 3:29 pm

Bill
Go to Control Panel and then Programs and Features, then to the left you will see, Turn windows features on or off, and place a check mark in Internet Information Services and install it. If there is already a check there remove it and then follow the instructions, if you have to do this then you will have to go back again and install it again.
Game Over!!!!!!!!
ASUS Maximus V Gene MB
Windows 8 X64; Windows 7 X64; Windows 7 X86
Intel I5-3570K
16GB Corsair Vengeance Ram
eVGA GeForce GTX 550 TI
Corsair GS700 PS
1TB Seagate SATA 6.0Gb HD
Thermaltake Case
Software Development

Postby BILLMCC66 » Fri Apr 24, 2009 3:53 pm

yeshuas wrote:Bill
Go to Control Panel and then Programs and Features, then to the left you will see, Turn windows features on or off, and place a check mark in Internet Information Services and install it. If there is already a check there remove it and then follow the instructions, if you have to do this then you will have to go back again and install it again.

I have done that Dan, it was not the problem but i now have IIS working ok but still not getting the " use local host" option.

I have been getting Red flags for unsigned drivers so i will look into what Augie has posted.

Thanks guys :notworthy
STILL LEARNING

PRO Level 8

Postby BILLMCC66 » Fri Apr 24, 2009 4:37 pm

OK guys i got it.
It was what Augie found about the drivers, i did exactly what it said in the post and hey presto.
So i am going to leave it alone for tonight and make a fresh start installing Ubuntu in the morning.
Thanks again for the help.Image
STILL LEARNING

PRO Level 8

Postby augie » Fri Apr 24, 2009 5:32 pm

BILLMCC66 wrote:OK guys i got it.
It was what Augie found about the drivers, i did exactly what it said in the post and hey presto.
So i am going to leave it alone for tonight and make a fresh start installing Ubuntu in the morning.
Thanks again for the help.Image

That's great Bill!!! :yahoo: It is a good idea to step away from the keyboard at this point as I'm sure you have been :bashhead :bashhead :bashhead profusely all day! :uhhh :lol: Since you got VM going then make sure the settings are correct as in the guide I posted and you should be good to go!

I think Bill will now stay in #1 spot until someone gets some new hardware going! ^*^ WOOOT!

BTW Bill, which part of that post worked for you? It could be handy to write a guide for Vista X64 folks and for folk that have problems with driver signing in X64. I wonder if the others know about the 'Test Mode?

Community Director

Postby BILLMCC66 » Sat Apr 25, 2009 5:16 am

This is the part that worked for me.

B) Before windows starts loading, just after your bios finish the POST routine, hit your F8 key and it will bring up an advanced boot menu. In there is an option to disable driver signature checking. The only annoying part is, you will have to do this every time you reboot. This is what i do, but i have to go through a multi-boot menu regardless.
STILL LEARNING

PRO Level 8

Previous

Return to Distributed Computing