A Digital Age Deserves A Digital Leader

Windows Update Freezes

Windows Update Freezes

Postby Stukindaguy » Wed Apr 15, 2009 11:10 pm

Okay, I have a feeling ZoneAlarm Extreme Security is to blame but I'm not sure, seeing as it was recently installed. When I open Windows Update it immediately freezes with a blank white screen, you can't close it or resize the window or move the window, the only way to close it is to end explorer.exe. Both the Background Intelligent transfer service and Windows Update services are running, however, it is impossible to stop the Windows Update service once it's running.

Things I've tried so far:

-Shutting down ZAX completely (including the truevector internet monitor) (made no difference)
-Re-registering the Windows Update .dll's (all successful, didn't fix)
-Used the system file scanner (said it found bad files but couldn't repair, i checked the logs and none of the files had to do with WU)
-Clearing out the SoftwareDistribution folder (emptied mostly, file in use errors on a few)
-Tried deleting the WU main dll and reinstall, deletion ended in access denied error
-Downloaded the WU program from microsoft, wouldn't install because it said I already have the most current version
-I do not have system restore active so that's out of the question

I'm really stumped here, what prompted this was a few new downloads available in WU, I click install, and instead of UAC asking for an admin password it just froze, and has been freezing ever since. Any ideas guys? Thanks in advance for the help ^*^

Edit: Oh, I guess you should know I'm running Windows Vista 64-bit
-Stu

Asus P5Q Deluxe
Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550
Sapphire Radeon HD 4870
6GB Corsair Dominator 1066MHz DDR2
Creative Soundblaster X-Fi Titanium
PRO Level 12

Re: Windows Update Freezes

Postby yeshuas » Thu Apr 16, 2009 12:32 am

Do you still have your CPU OC'd, if so try setting it back to default and see if that helps.
Game Over!!!!!!!!
ASUS Maximus V Gene MB
Windows 8 X64; Windows 7 X64; Windows 7 X86
Intel I5-3570K
16GB Corsair Vengeance Ram
eVGA GeForce GTX 550 TI
Corsair GS700 PS
1TB Seagate SATA 6.0Gb HD
Thermaltake Case
Software Development

Postby Stukindaguy » Thu Apr 16, 2009 2:51 am

i turned it back down to stock, but to no avail, exact same problem, no better. Still freezes immediately, and the service won't stop. Thanks for the reply though. :yesnod:
-Stu

Asus P5Q Deluxe
Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550
Sapphire Radeon HD 4870
PRO Level 12

Postby Grav!ty » Thu Apr 16, 2009 2:59 am

If you don't have SP1 installed it may be worth seeing if installing that fixes the problem or try the Beta Release Candidate SP2 if you've got SP1 in already.

"The great majority of mankind are satisfied with appearances, as though they were realities, and are often more influenced by the things that seem than by those that are." - Niccolo Machiavelli
PROfessional Member

Postby jbullard » Thu Apr 16, 2009 3:02 am

Here are a few things that I saw researching the problem:

- Are there any error messages being reported in Events Manager?
- Does SYSTEM have full control over drive C:?
- Make sure port 80 and 443 are both opened?
VP - Software

Postby JabbaPapa » Thu Apr 16, 2009 7:35 am

It may be an error in Internet Explorer. I *have* come across this sort of behaviour before in an earlier Windows version, but this was some years ago and I have been unable to remember the circumstances nor if I was able to fix it -- or if I just reinstalled Windows.

Hmmmmm --- you *could* try creating a new User Account with Admin privileges, and then try and run WU from there ?
PRO VETERAN

Postby Stukindaguy » Fri Apr 17, 2009 1:22 am

Okay guys, I found out what the problem was and am happy to say it's fixed. Also, for the benefit of everyone here, I'll tell you my solution.

I had to start the computer with the Background Intelligent Trasfer service and Windows Update service turned off. Then I changed the security privileges on catroot and catroot2 folders in Windows/System32 and deleted the contents of both of them, then I restarted the computer and BAM, WU works like a charm. I'm kinda happy that it wasn't ZA, I like their new "Extreme Security" suite, and they finally released a 64-bit version...long overdue if you ask me. You can consider this issue closed. Thanks for the replies! :yesnod: :uhhh

Edit: Oh yeah, and before I restarted, I set the security back to normal and set up the Background Intelligent transfer service and WU service back to normal too.
-Stu

Asus P5Q Deluxe
Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550
Sapphire Radeon HD 4870
PRO Level 12

Postby yeshuas » Fri Apr 17, 2009 12:29 pm

Glad to see you got it resolved and Thank you for posting back with your solution, it will help others in the future.
Game Over!!!!!!!!
ASUS Maximus V Gene MB
Windows 8 X64; Windows 7 X64; Windows 7 X86
Intel I5-3570K
16GB Corsair Vengeance Ram
eVGA GeForce GTX 550 TI
Corsair GS700 PS
1TB Seagate SATA 6.0Gb HD
Thermaltake Case
Software Development

Postby street_preacher » Thu Jul 02, 2009 10:48 pm

Stukindaguy- I was able to delete the contents of c:\windows\systems32\catroot, but unable to do so for catroot2. Windows says a program was using it. I even went to safe mode to limit start up applications, but still no luck.
I have an HP m9517c using Vista Home 64 bit. I am running Zone Alarm Extreme Security 64 bit, as well as Spybot Search and Destroy. Windows Defender is active.

I still have one text file and a folder in catroot2 that I cannot delete. What do I need to do to delete the file and folder? :blink
street_preacher :soapbox:
HP m9517c
AMD Phenom 9550 Quad-Core Processor 2.20 Ghz
8.00 GB RAM
64-bit Vista Home Premium SP1
PRO New Member

Postby Grav!ty » Fri Jul 03, 2009 12:14 am

Log in as Administrator or boot to safe mode and log in as administrator if the Admininstrator account is not activeFrom the properties of the folder, take ownership and change permissions of the folder and then delete it.

Clear instructions on how to do this are given right at the bottom of our Vista Installation guide for deleting the folder Boot

windows-vista-installation-guide-t88324.html

"The great majority of mankind are satisfied with appearances, as though they were realities, and are often more influenced by the things that seem than by those that are." - Niccolo Machiavelli
PROfessional Member

Return to General Windows Support