A Digital Age Deserves A Digital Leader

Windows Server 2003 Password Problem

Windows Server 2003 Password Problem

Postby McBlzr » Mon Apr 13, 2009 12:32 am

My accountant has Windows server 2003 on a computer set up as her server machine. She never set up a password for logging in as Administrator. She thinks one of her employees accidently typed in something in the password box to log in. But knowbody knows what it could be. Trying different ideas, she keeps getting a message " Local Policy does not permit you to logon interactively". All employees can logon to the server & access files from their workstations. But my accountant cannot logon to the server from the server keyboard & the server monitor connected to the server. She really needs to access the server before she has to shut everything down & move all the computer equipment to a new building. Anybody have any ideas. She is afraid of loosing 10 years of accounting & tax info data, when she moves to the new building.
ImageImageImageImage

Doc says "Back to The Future" with Windows Vista (LongHorn)!!!
Doc says "The Future isn't written Yet" with WINDOWS 7
PRO Level 7

Re: Windows Server 2003 Password Problem

Postby Grav!ty » Mon Apr 13, 2009 2:30 am

See if this will help:

For a local user account

1. Open Computer Management (Local).
2. In the console tree, double-click Local Users and Groups.
Where?
* Computer Management (Local)/System Tools/Local Users and Groups
3. In the console tree, click Users.
4. In the details pane, right-click the user name, and then click Set Password.
5. Read the warning message, and then, if you want to continue, click Proceed.
6. In New password and in Confirm password, type a new password, and then click OK.

Notes

* To perform this procedure, you must be a member of the Administrators group on the local computer, or you must have been delegated the appropriate authority. Power Users can reset passwords of accounts they create. If the computer is joined to a domain, members of the Domain Admins group might be able to perform this procedure. As a security best practice, consider using Run as to perform this procedure. For more information, see Default local groups, Default groups, and Using Run as.
* To open Computer Management, click Start, click Control Panel, double-click Administrative Tools, and then double-click Computer Management.

More options available at http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/libr ... 56862.aspx

"The great majority of mankind are satisfied with appearances, as though they were realities, and are often more influenced by the things that seem than by those that are." - Niccolo Machiavelli
PROfessional Member

Postby McBlzr » Mon Apr 13, 2009 3:33 am

Thanks Gravity,
I will have her try this. I remember her telling me that she has admin rights on her xp workstation, but I am sure she probably had no idea where to go to do anything like you have described. I am printing it out to give to her tomorrow morning. Thanks again. I will update this post if it works.
ImageImageImageImage

Doc says "Back to The Future" with Windows Vista (LongHorn)!!!
Doc says "The Future isn't written Yet" with WINDOWS 7
PRO Level 7

Postby _Taz_ » Tue Apr 14, 2009 2:01 pm

if she is an administrator of the domain she can use Active Directory Users and Computers (under administrative tools) to change the admin password

can she get to it via remote desktop?
PRO Level 13

Return to General Windows Support