A Digital Age Deserves A Digital Leader

PC vs. Mac

PC vs. Mac

Postby freebird9 » Wed Feb 25, 2009 9:26 am

I have found this interestiing picture online, so what do you think about it?
Ture??
PC vs. Mac
PRO Level 2

Re: PC vs. Mac

Postby Grav!ty » Wed Feb 25, 2009 11:27 am

The wiring on the Dell needs cleaning up but otherwise I think the picture is contrived to make the PC look bad. With the PC case on the floor or on a rack under the desk there'd also only be monitor, mouse and keyboard cables for the PC.

In my opinion, it's not a simple question of a choice between PC and Apple because there's just way too many things one still cannot use an Apple for...gaming being just one of them. Besides, check out the cost difference for comparable hardware systems and the Apple is always way over the cost of a PC. At half the price one can build a PC that will whup any Apple you chuck at it!

By the way, I'm moving this thread to the General Tech Chat forum.

"The great majority of mankind are satisfied with appearances, as though they were realities, and are often more influenced by the things that seem than by those that are." - Niccolo Machiavelli
PROfessional Member

Postby freebird9 » Thu Feb 26, 2009 12:45 am

Yes I agree they seem intentionly put that dell pc wires that bad to say something. Personlly I only pc no mac.
PRO Level 2

Postby Grav!ty » Thu Feb 26, 2009 1:13 am

One can get Mac OS to run on a PC and not just on an Apple. Problem is it's illegal to do so even if one buys Mac because the EULA prevents one installing it on non Apple hardware :yesnod:

"The great majority of mankind are satisfied with appearances, as though they were realities, and are often more influenced by the things that seem than by those that are." - Niccolo Machiavelli
PROfessional Member

Postby JabbaPapa » Sat Feb 28, 2009 2:57 pm

Grav!ty wrote:One can get Mac OS to run on a PC and not just on an Apple. Problem is it's illegal to do so even if one buys Mac because the EULA prevents one installing it on non Apple hardware :yesnod:

The illegality of this is debatable, but please don't ask me to finance the test case LOL

Otherwise the wiring on the PC is ludicrous -- not to mention that most likely, under the hood, that PC should be more powerful than the Mac.

Apple makes nice hardware, but if someone were to give me a Mac, i'd still plug in a PC mouse and keyboard, wipe the OS X, and install a clean copy of W7 x64 hahahaha
PRO VETERAN

Postby gries818 » Mon Apr 13, 2009 6:59 pm

To be fair, the $3999 Mac they are talking about is the highest configuration of the top iMac model - 24 inch screen. I'm guessing the hardware on the Dell isn't anywhere near as good. For it to be a fair (hardware) money comparison, the hardware needs to be as close as possible. About a year ago when I compared laptop models to assist my grandparents with their decision to by a laptop computer to replace their WebTV, the then MacBook model (the white plastic one that is the lowest model now) actually beat Dell and HP's configurations for hardware.

And while this may be true today (I didn't check it), if custom hardware is important to you, I would by no means recommend a Mac. Their compact, sleek design makes it nearly impossible to upgrade the hardware. But on the plus side, because Apple only has to design the OS for one set of hardware, they are more backwards compatible meaning you don't need to upgrade the hardware to get the newest Mac OS X to run.

As far as the actually Operating Systems go, I believe it's a toss up. User preference is going to play a lot into it, as is desired use. Obviously gaming, though getting better, still isn't quite up to snuff on the Mac (primarily because game makers to target to the Mac audience). But in my opinion for general purpose, "office" or "education" uses, the Mac has the PC beat. There are a number of things that make the Mac more conducive to productivity... but of course this is heavily based upon my opinion. I also haven't used Windows 7, but the screenshot's I've seen make it look pretty cool so perhaps it will give Apple some better competition.

Currently, I'm running Windows XP on my main computer (and Ubuntu Server on my server :P), but lastnight I just made the big step and finally ordered my new MacBook. I'm pretty excited, and I've needed a laptop for a long time so I'm looking forward to Wednesday-Friday when it should come. I'll be sure to post back here with new little things I've found after using the Mac as a main environment. Before now I've only used Macs my friends/family has owned so I'm sure there is more to pick up on.

Mac OS 10.6.7 - Personal
Ubuntu Server 11.04 - Server
Software Development

Return to General Tech Chat