A Digital Age Deserves A Digital Leader

Get links to open new tab in IE8

Re: Get links to open new tab in IE8

Postby JabbaPapa » Sat Apr 11, 2009 9:07 am

phileysmiley wrote:I just don't get it.

1) First of all, Update sent me IE8 without my even asking.

2) Second, IE8 is NOT even installed. IE6 is still installed even though it says IE8 was successfully installed.

3) Third, it is IE6 WITH tabbed browsing. I checked online and from what I can see you can have IE6 with tabbed browsing by installing the MSN Toolbar but I don't even have that either.

I'm not using Windows 7 or IE7.

Well it does sound as if your experiments with Internet Explorer have finally destroyed it !! :whistle

It sounds as if, on your machine, you have over the years had : IE6 ; IE6 with tabbed browsing (NOT the same IE6 :confused ) ; IE7 (did you ever install any IE7 Beta btw ?) ; IE8 Beta ; IE8 Final ; IE8 Broken Edition ; and I don't know how many other IE versions LOL

... errrrrr ... needless to say this is NOT the ideal installation scenario, and BTW neither is it *supported* by MS, nor can you even expect it to work ...

... AND it would be logical to assume that this is a very old XP setup anyway, did you use a setup CD with Service Pack 2 integrated ?

Also, if this is the same machine that you used to use for Windows Codename Longhorn testing, you should realise that there was a pretty bad partitioning bug in build 4074 particularly, so that installing it anywhere other than the boot partition could lead it to write data into whichever Windows version happened to be residing in C: at the time, which would in this case be your XP setup -- and installing 4074 as a secondary OS in a multi-boot scenario could very basically muck up your main OS in some unusual, unpredictable, and very strange ways. It's possible that your IE6 with tabbed browsing is an artefact of an old 4074 setup that may have been mistakenly ported into your XP ... IIRC the LH 4074 IE6 version *did* include tabbed browsing ... which would btw make your broken IE completely un-updateable...

In a nutshell, and whatever the forensics, the part of Windows that governs Internet Explorer would seem to be completely hosed -- and sadly, because IE is actually a PART of Windows and not just some random 3rd Party software, that means your Windows XP is basically hosed too.

My honest recommendation is : reinstall Windows XP from scratch.

You should realise that problems with IE can potentially affect ALL of your internet activity, even when using a different browser -- because some of the internet connections elements of Windows actually belong to IE.
PRO VETERAN

Postby JabbaPapa » Sat Apr 11, 2009 9:15 am

JabbaPapa wrote:My honest recommendation is : reinstall Windows XP from scratch.

The only recommendable alternative solution I can think of, given the issues you have had with Vista, would be to upgrade this setup to W7 after having installed a clean copy of XP to a separate partition as I understand that your needs still require XP.

I would NOT recommend upgrading that particular setup to Vista, especially not if you have ever installed LH 4074 on that machine.
PRO VETERAN

Postby phileysmiley » Sat Apr 11, 2009 6:25 pm

JabbaPapa wrote:
phileysmiley wrote:I just don't get it.

1) First of all, Update sent me IE8 without my even asking.

2) Second, IE8 is NOT even installed. IE6 is still installed even though it says IE8 was successfully installed.

3) Third, it is IE6 WITH tabbed browsing. I checked online and from what I can see you can have IE6 with tabbed browsing by installing the MSN Toolbar but I don't even have that either.

I'm not using Windows 7 or IE7.

Well it does sound as if your experiments with Internet Explorer have finally destroyed it !! :whistle

It sounds as if, on your machine, you have over the years had : IE6 ; IE6 with tabbed browsing (NOT the same IE6 :confused ) ; IE7 (did you ever install any IE7 Beta btw ?) ; IE8 Beta ; IE8 Final ; IE8 Broken Edition ; and I don't know how many other IE versions LOL

... errrrrr ... needless to say this is NOT the ideal installation scenario, and BTW neither is it *supported* by MS, nor can you even expect it to work ...

... AND it would be logical to assume that this is a very old XP setup anyway, did you use a setup CD with Service Pack 2 integrated ?

Also, if this is the same machine that you used to use for Windows Codename Longhorn testing, you should realise that there was a pretty bad partitioning bug in build 4074 particularly, so that installing it anywhere other than the boot partition could lead it to write data into whichever Windows version happened to be residing in C: at the time, which would in this case be your XP setup -- and installing 4074 as a secondary OS in a multi-boot scenario could very basically muck up your main OS in some unusual, unpredictable, and very strange ways. It's possible that your IE6 with tabbed browsing is an artefact of an old 4074 setup that may have been mistakenly ported into your XP ... IIRC the LH 4074 IE6 version *did* include tabbed browsing ... which would btw make your broken IE completely un-updateable...

In a nutshell, and whatever the forensics, the part of Windows that governs Internet Explorer would seem to be completely hosed -- and sadly, because IE is actually a PART of Windows and not just some random 3rd Party software, that means your Windows XP is basically hosed too.

My honest recommendation is : reinstall Windows XP from scratch.

You should realise that problems with IE can potentially affect ALL of your internet activity, even when using a different browser -- because some of the internet connections elements of Windows actually belong to IE.

I appreciate all the feedback (all very good, btw) but I wish it was that simple. You see, my situation is exactly reversed from that (except for the last part).

First, the "experiments" weren't done on this machine. The one I had problems with -- where I upgraded to IE7 and then 8 and couldn't roll back to IE6 was my laptop. Ironically, I have since upgraded to IE8 on that machine and it is working fine. So the one on which I did all the upgrading/downgrading is actually the one that is working.

Second, on this particular rig I have only had IE6, 7, and 8 (as MS supports). Now, as far as 6 is concerned, I don't remember having a 6 with tabbed browsing. When I upgraded from 6 to 7 I believe I waited for the final. I even posted here asking if I should install the beta and was recommended against it. So I don't believe I ever installed any IE7 beta. The same goes for IE8. I waited until it had gone final to the public before I installed it. So I have only had three IEs on this rig, not seven. Why Automatic Update "upgraded" me to 8 is a mystery to me since I had 8 installed. That's the only odd thing here. Other than that, I went from 6 to 7 to 8 as MS supported.

Bottom line: I had one IE6, upgraded to IE7 when it was final, and then to IE8 when it was final, which I would imagine would be the same situation for the overwhelming majority of people who have IE8 now. There were no betas or downgrading/upgrading on this rig.

So the one I played around with (my laptop) is fine. The one on which I have conservatively followed the upgrades as recommended is the one which is messed up. This is the one which I have ONLY done what is supported buy MS. So I should "expect it to work."

Third, it came with XPSP2 pre-installed and I upgraded to SP3 via Automatic Update.

So...the only thing you said which does apply is that this is the rig on which I have tested LH/Vista.

Other than the IE issue, though, I have not had any other problems. It is not my primary rig and I am able to use it for whatever I need. FF and Chrome work fine and I can use IE if I need to, albeit with a goofy configuration. Reinstalling XP is definitely not something I want to do unless I have to.
Media Director

Postby phileysmiley » Sat Apr 11, 2009 6:29 pm

JabbaPapa wrote:
JabbaPapa wrote:My honest recommendation is : reinstall Windows XP from scratch.

The only recommendable alternative solution I can think of, given the issues you have had with Vista, would be to upgrade this setup to W7 after having installed a clean copy of XP to a separate partition as I understand that your needs still require XP.

I would NOT recommend upgrading that particular setup to Vista, especially not if you have ever installed LH 4074 on that machine.

This has been the rig on which I've been testing LH since 4074. At the moment I have XP on one partition and Vista on another. The partition with XP has always only had XP on it, although the partition has been resized. The Vista partition is the one which I have formatted and installed the various LH/Vistas. I haven't upgraded to W7 yet but if I did my plan was to do it on the Vista partition and not mess with my XP partition since it is basically fine.

So...let's say I do decide to install W7. Are you suggesting that I swap partitions? I.E. wipe XP and install W7 there a,d install a clean XP where Vista is now? :question Because I do want to try W7.
Media Director

Previous

Return to General Tech Chat