A Digital Age Deserves A Digital Leader

Using VistaBootPRO Backup/Restore Center

Forum rules
This forum is meant for support of PRO Software only. PROnetworks reserves the right to edit any topic title to better explain the contents of a post. We also may move your post to a more suitable forum if necessary.

It may take our support staff up to 24 hours to respond to your problem. We appreciate your patience.

Using VistaBootPRO Backup/Restore Center

Postby Bigun » Thu Apr 09, 2009 4:48 am

I had Vista Home Premium x64 installed on a new DELL Laptop. Purchased VistaBootPRO, backed up BCD settings. Then upgraded system to Vista Ultimate x64. Worked fine?? Problem is now I cannot get to the system restore partition on D:\drive from F8 command prompt after the upgrade, because of course the settings were overwritten. My question is when I view the backed up file containing the old BCD settings on the BCD Registry Backup/Restore Center tab, all I can see are 2 entries (Windows Boot Manager, and Windows Boot Loader). The option is not there to view all, like on the View BCD Registry Settings tab. I did of course look at it before I backed it up and upgraded. I believe it was the 3rd section that pointed to the D:\drive partition. Just wanted to make sure it is there even though I can't view it, before I restore. I can see the D:\drive partition and files from within Windows. I believe this should fix the problem??

Thanks for your help,
Cool program

Bigun
PRO New Member

Re: Using VistaBootPRO Backup/Restore Center

Postby Grav!ty » Thu Apr 09, 2009 5:17 am

Not quite sure what you are wanting to restore Bigun...VistaBootPRO backs up and is able to restore your Vista boot menu and the BCD (boot configuration data store) but it is not designed or intended to restore your computer operating system to the factory condition you received it in.

"The great majority of mankind are satisfied with appearances, as though they were realities, and are often more influenced by the things that seem than by those that are." - Niccolo Machiavelli
PROfessional Member

Postby Bigun » Thu Apr 09, 2009 4:09 pm

Very simple, all I was asking was to be able to see all entries in the Backup, and not just Windows Boot Manager, and Windows Boot Loader sections. I know there are many more sections in the file because I saw them before I backed it up, and can also view them in the current boot menu.

Current:

Windows Boot Manager
--------------------
identifier {bootmgr}
device partition=C:
description Windows Boot Manager
locale en-US
inherit {globalsettings}
default {current}
resumeobject {5460d9d2-d391-11dc-9d9f-aba67a8797c5}
displayorder {current}
toolsdisplayorder {memdiag}
timeout 30

Windows Boot Loader
-------------------
identifier {current}
device partition=C:
path \Windows\system32\winload.exe
description Microsoft Windows Vista
locale en-US
inherit {bootloadersettings}
osdevice partition=C:
systemroot \Windows
resumeobject {d07e45df-24b1-11de-987c-ffeadd262e1b}
nx OptIn

Resume from Hibernate
---------------------
identifier {d07e45df-24b1-11de-987c-ffeadd262e1b}
device partition=C:
path \Windows\system32\winresume.exe
description Windows Resume Application
locale en-US
inherit {resumeloadersettings}
filedevice partition=C:
filepath \hiberfil.sys
debugoptionenabled No

Windows Memory Tester
---------------------
identifier {memdiag}
device partition=C:
path \boot\memtest.exe
description Windows Memory Diagnostic
locale en-US
inherit {globalsettings}
badmemoryaccess Yes

Windows Legacy OS Loader
------------------------
identifier {ntldr}
device unknown
path \ntldr
description Earlier Version of Windows

EMS Settings
------------
identifier {emssettings}
bootems Yes

Debugger Settings
-----------------
identifier {dbgsettings}
debugtype Serial
debugport 1
baudrate 115200

RAM Defects
-----------
identifier {badmemory}

Global Settings
---------------
identifier {globalsettings}
inherit {dbgsettings}
{emssettings}
{badmemory}

Boot Loader Settings
--------------------
identifier {bootloadersettings}
inherit {globalsettings}

Inherited Settings (20200003)
-----------------------------
identifier {7ff607e0-4395-11db-b0de-0800200c9a66}
custom:250000f3 0
custom:250000f4 1
custom:250000f5 115200

Resume Loader Settings
----------------------
identifier {resumeloadersettings}
inherit {globalsettings}

Can only see tw sections in the backup file, Windows Boot Manager, and Windows Boot Loader. No sure how else to explain this??

Thanks anyway!!
PRO New Member

Postby Grav!ty » Thu Apr 09, 2009 4:33 pm

You won't see the entry in the files that are backed up, until it's restored. I'd suggest backing up your current BCD with a different name, then restore your old one and see whether it contains what you are looking for.

Is there any other way you can access the restore function of your laptop? There's usually a specific key to press to access that.

By the way, do you have a Vista Ultimate x64 DVD? Just asking in case you need to run a startup repair using it.

"The great majority of mankind are satisfied with appearances, as though they were realities, and are often more influenced by the things that seem than by those that are." - Niccolo Machiavelli
PROfessional Member

Postby Bigun » Fri Apr 10, 2009 1:52 am

The BCD is backed up.

The way I got to the DELL Factory Image Restore before the upgrade which overwrote the BCD, was to hit F8 (Vista Advanced Boot Options), and selecting the Repair Your Computer option, then System Recovery Options. I'm almost positive that the 3rd section in the original BCD is what pointed to the D:\drive where the image resides. I guess I'll just bite the bullet and restore that BCD and see if it fixes the problem.

Yes I do have the Ultimate DVD that I performed the upgrade with.

Will let you know what happens after the restore.

Crossing fingers!!!

Thanks again
Bigun
PRO New Member

Postby Bigun » Fri Apr 10, 2009 2:14 am

Grav!ty,

Restored original BCD, problem solved. Way too easy!! Glad I didn't have to do that manually (w/o a GUI). Can't wait to see how this piece of software matures.

Thanks again,

Bigun
PRO New Member

Postby Grav!ty » Fri Apr 10, 2009 2:24 am

Well done Bigun, and thanks for the compliment about VBP. We're working on a new version for release hopefully in the not too distant future. By the way, if your system allows it, it's a good idea to create a factory restore DVD so that you have that ability off system.

PROfessional Member

Return to PRO Software