A Digital Age Deserves A Digital Leader

My internet has been down all day

Forum rules
Welcome to our modest though robust team of folders! You are all more than welcome to join us or ask specific questions about how to go about folding but please start a new thread to post your questions, this way nothing of importance will be lost and everyone here will help you out.

If you just want to chat folding then the Folding@Home Home thread will be great!

My internet has been down all day

Postby yeshuas » Sat Apr 04, 2009 12:47 am

My Comcast internet has been down all day, I had to connect my computer to my cell phone to access the internet at all. I was able continue GPU folding that way, but the SMP folding was unable to send the results and download new WU.

They finally got it fixed right at 6 PM and the units finally sent, so hopefully at 9 PM I will have a ton of points. ^*^
Game Over!!!!!!!!
ASUS Maximus V Gene MB
Windows 8 X64; Windows 7 X64; Windows 7 X86
Intel I5-3570K
16GB Corsair Vengeance Ram
eVGA GeForce GTX 550 TI
Corsair GS700 PS
1TB Seagate SATA 6.0Gb HD
Thermaltake Case
Software Development

Re: My internet has been down all day

Postby augie » Sat Apr 04, 2009 10:48 am

Yup, you sure do! ^*^ Must cost a bit for all that traffic.
Everything that irritates us about others can lead us to an understanding of ourselves. -- Carl Jung

eVGA X58 tri-SLI, i7 930 @ 3.8GHz., Corsair 6GB Dominator, Inno3D GTX470, eVGA260
ASUS P8P67 Pro, i7 2600K @4.60 GHz, 8GB RAM, eVGA GTX 460
Community Director

Postby phileysmiley » Sat Apr 04, 2009 6:26 pm

yeshuas wrote: I had to connect my computer to my cell phone to access the internet at all.

:shocked: :shocked: :shocked:
Media Director

Postby yeshuas » Sat Apr 04, 2009 6:50 pm

phileysmiley wrote:
yeshuas wrote: I had to connect my computer to my cell phone to access the internet at all.

I have AT&T and with the phone that I have, BlackJack II; I had to take a package that included unlimited Internet, so I found a way to use my phone as a modem and it is actually pretty fast
Game Over!!!!!!!!
ASUS Maximus V Gene MB
Intel I5-3570K
eVGA GeForce GTX 550 TI
Corsair GS700 PS
Thermaltake Case
Software Development

Postby phileysmiley » Sat Apr 04, 2009 7:04 pm

yeshuas wrote:
phileysmiley wrote:

I have AT&T and with the phone that I have, BlackJack II; I had to take a package that included unlimited Internet, so I found a way to use my phone as a modem and it is actually pretty fast

That's pretty cool. I have AT&T too, and bought the Laptop Connect card so I suppose it's the same thing -- both use 3G.
Media Director

Postby imnuts » Sun Apr 05, 2009 12:44 am

There are always ways around it, but most wireless providers will charge you more to tether your connection like that as I think the charges are usually less for PDA/Smartphones for data usage compared to what they charge for laptop cards, though I could be wrong.
PRO SUPREME

Postby yeshuas » Sun Apr 05, 2009 3:58 am

imnuts wrote:There are always ways around it, but most wireless providers will charge you more to tether your connection like that as I think the charges are usually less for PDA/Smartphones for data usage compared to what they charge for laptop cards, though I could be wrong.

I pay a flat fee per month, which I had to do in order to get the BlackJack II phone through AT&T for the price I got it for, and it includes unlimited data and internet, so when I used my phone as a Modem like I did, there was no extra charge, plus I didn't have to be out for the card Larry was talking about
Game Over!!!!!!!!
ASUS Maximus V Gene MB
Intel I5-3570K
eVGA GeForce GTX 550 TI
Corsair GS700 PS
Thermaltake Case
Software Development

Postby phileysmiley » Sun Apr 05, 2009 6:24 pm

I was paying $50 a month for data usage on my phone. I dropped that plan, got the card for free, and added a second line with a data plan for the card that is $60 a month. So I basically swapped one for the other and it's just $10 more a month. Plus it's unlimited, which the phone plan wasn't.

Also if I was using the phone continuously the battery would run out unless I brought the phone adapter with me wherever I went and could find an outlet. This way I can just go online where I am using the card and not have to worry about power (except for the laptop battery running out, in which case I'd end up taking up two outlets).

There are also instances where I cannot get a connection on my phone at all but I can get one, albeit a weak one, on the card. In fact, I was just at a film festival where it was nearly impossible to get service on AT&T (since everyone had an iPhone). I couldn't make calls. But I was able to get online using the card. I'm not sure why, since they both use the same network, but I never had a problem connecting with the card where my phone did not work most of the time.
Media Director

Postby imnuts » Sun Apr 05, 2009 7:02 pm

The reason the card works better than the phone is likely due to power constraints on the phone compared to the laptop card. Phones need to consider battery lift and also the radiation that is put out from the internal antennae where the laptop cards don't have the same restraints, meaning they can use more power and have a greater signal range than phones would.
PRO SUPREME

Postby phileysmiley » Sun Apr 05, 2009 9:02 pm

Well, there ya go. So it is worth the extra money to have the card than try to use the phone for my laptop. :yesnod:
Media Director

Return to Distributed Computing