A Digital Age Deserves A Digital Leader

Is it worth switching to IE8?

Is it worth switching to IE8?

Postby phileysmiley » Fri Apr 03, 2009 9:37 pm

Nice basic article:
I procrastinated for nearly two weeks before installing Microsoft's new web browser.

I'd been happy using rival products like Firefox and Chrome at work and Flock at home, and habits are hard to break, even though version eight of Internet Explorer, or IE8, has several promising features.

In essence, all browsers have become so good at delivering the basics that I find little reason to change. The frills are what sets each browser apart, but getting unique offerings in one means giving up features in another. However thrilling IE8's new offerings may be, I'm not ready to give up Flock, Firefox or Chrome just yet.

Still, Microsoft should be applauded for trying.

http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/gadgets-and-tech/features/is-it-worth-switching-to-ie8-1661704.html
Media Director

Re: Is it worth switching to IE8?

Postby JabbaPapa » Sat Apr 04, 2009 7:21 am

Yes, I completely agree -- I personally use Opera (currently using Opera 10 Beta) as my main browser, I'm very happy with it, and am very unlikely to change -- the Opera version of tabbed browsing simply feels more natural to me than either IE or FF, as I open each session with about 50 tabs open from the previous one, and Opera lets you do this very easily and effectively :)

I only use IE for certain websites, Microsoft mainly, and the release of IE8 has not changed my habits -- although the techie part of my brain is happy with the improvements in this version, especially the fact that it is a MUCH smaller and cleaner software package than the previous 2 versions.
PRO VETERAN

Postby phileysmiley » Sat Apr 04, 2009 6:22 pm

I'm pretty much of the same belief. On my primary desktop rig (x64) my main browser is FF. I only have IE installed in case it's necessary, and it's IE6. On my laptop (XP) my main browser is also FF. I was using Chrome as a secondary browser until IE8 came out and now I'm using that only if necessary. My desktop test rig (XP) is the only one on which I'm trying out IE8 as a main browser. I used to use FF as my main browser on there, just like the other two, and Chrome as a backup.
Media Director

Postby gries818 » Sun Apr 05, 2009 8:42 pm

I was working on some AJAX today, and realized I need to test it out in a IE. I have IE 8. Not only will my code not work (it works perfectly in Firefox and Safari), but the JavaScript functionality is extremely sluggish. Why can't it just work like normal browsers?

IE used to be the best out there. What happened?

Mac OS 10.6.7 - Personal
Ubuntu Server 11.04 - Server
Software Development

Return to General Tech Chat