A Digital Age Deserves A Digital Leader

Our company's VI3 Infrastructure hardware setup

Our company's VI3 Infrastructure hardware setup

Postby kd1966 » Fri Apr 03, 2009 1:32 am

Guys - this is AWESOME! We just got it approved and will be installing the RAM shortly (Have a little VOIP project to complete first......doh!) Anyhow, we have PowerEdge servers that we ordered about a year ago with 16GB RAM (ESX Servers) for our virtualization environment. After much bru-haha....... we got it approved to upgrade each of our FOUR ESX servers to 32GB RAM and we should be implementing this very soon.

I know................. what's so special about that??? Well, our ESX servers at present are running ~ 54% RAM utilization on average with the 16GB per server with CPU and other utilization around 10-20%. Bump that up to 32GB RAM available per server and you know the deal...............

Did I mention that SQL server is a resource WH0R3........ROFL!!! We have 3 SQL VM servers in our environment (Actually 6, as 3 are test/dev servers)

So I'm very excited about getting to install the RAM and see the results of this, performance wise speaking anyhow...... ^*^
PRO PLATINUM

Re: Our company's VI3 Infrastructure hardware setup

Postby Grav!ty » Fri Apr 03, 2009 2:02 am

Very nice indeed Kevin. I guess next thing you'll be setting up MEMORY RAID so if one module fails you have continuity of operation ^*^

"The great majority of mankind are satisfied with appearances, as though they were realities, and are often more influenced by the things that seem than by those that are." - Niccolo Machiavelli
PROfessional Member

Postby kd1966 » Fri Apr 03, 2009 2:06 am

Grav!ty wrote:Very nice indeed Kevin. I guess next thing you'll be setting up MEMORY RAID so if one module fails you have continuity of operation ^*^

I had not heard of that............... :question
PRO PLATINUM

Postby Grav!ty » Fri Apr 03, 2009 2:16 am

I was reading about that some time back at Intel I think it was. It probably depends on the ability of ones memory controller card, but it's basically the same as HDD RAID , partitioning RAM so data can be recovered from other partitions if a memory module fails. Here's about the only meaningful reference I find to it on google.

"The great majority of mankind are satisfied with appearances, as though they were realities, and are often more influenced by the things that seem than by those that are." - Niccolo Machiavelli
PROfessional Member

Postby kd1966 » Fri Apr 03, 2009 2:21 am

Yes, I understand the RAID concept, but did not know they were doing it with RAM.............. pretty awesome if it does the job. The only issue with our servers is that if we used RAID on our RAM, we'd have less RAM for the system itself (And 32GB is the max for our PowerEdge server.... we don't have the + version which tops out at 64GB)
PRO PLATINUM

Postby Grav!ty » Fri Apr 03, 2009 2:25 am

Yeah, it's just a very interesting concept that I thought I'd throw in :)

PROfessional Member

Postby kd1966 » Fri Apr 03, 2009 2:28 am

I have seen RAM mirroring in the BIOS, sortof kindof a precautionary measure, but we used it on one physical server. I think that was sort of back when hardware failed much more than software. But yes, very interesting concepts.............. ^*^
PRO PLATINUM

Postby Grav!ty » Fri Apr 03, 2009 2:49 am

I must say I'd love to be able to play with hardware like that :pc

PROfessional Member

Postby kd1966 » Fri Apr 03, 2009 2:51 am

I'm practically dying here waiting to get it all installed and working................ :drool:
PRO PLATINUM

Return to Hardware and Customizing