A Digital Age Deserves A Digital Leader

Logitech MX310 Optical Mouse

Logitech MX310 Optical Mouse

Postby ar1stotle » Wed Oct 31, 2007 6:37 pm

Logitech MX310
Street Price: $25

By Tyler Richmond
October 31, 2007

Logitech's MX310 mouse is a gamers mouse on a budget. It's optical, no lasers here, but for $25 laser technology might be too much to ask for. Despite that, it performs exceedingly well with its 800dpi resolution. I have personally owned one for 5 years now and have never felt a strong need to switch. Let me explain.

Aesthetically, the MX310 is not going to make a gamer's eyes water. However, it's not anywhere close to looking like the bland off-white mice your father used. The two-tone gray/black color scheme will compliment almost any desk space. I've got a white desk and a black monitor, and the mouse seems to bridge the two. There's a nice Logitech logo on the back of the mouse, as well as arrows on the side forward/back buttons, but after a couple years of use they will rub off. However, this doesn't detract from the look of the mouse in any noticeable way.

The MX310 simply feels good in my hand. It's not the type of mouse that you rest your entire palm on; while you could do that if you wanted to, it seems to cater more towards the "claw" grip style, where you grip the sides with your fingertips and your palm is slightly above it. It's very light-weight, and with the default mouse-skates and a nice surface it slides with ease. There's no weight adjustments like some newer laser models, but unless you strongly prefer a heavy mouse I doubt you'd find anything to complain about.

As far as features go, it's got the normal 3 buttons on top with a scroll wheel, as well as two more programmable buttons on the side. Without installing the Logitech drivers, these two buttons function as the forward and back keys in your browser. With the Logitech software installed, you can also program them to do other common functions. One feature it's missing that most newer models have is a tilt-function for the scroll wheel, but I find that just gets in the way anyway and doesn't provide any benefit to a gamer.

Performance wise, in my opinion this little gem is a champ. I've used a plethora of other cheap mice, and they often won't work on some surfaces or will have slow response times. One of my biggest pet peeves is with the optical Dell mice that come with their computers... we use them at school, and a quick twitch will make the cursor move in all sorts of random directions, not tracking motion smoothly at all. With the MX310, it's quick as lightning. Lightning-fast gamer reflexes won't throw this mouse off, and it also works on many surfaces like glossy magazine covers and plain white tabletops. However, I prefer to use my cloth mousepad just for the texture (also minimizes noise).

The MX310 is the perfect mouse for a gamer on a budget. You may be tempted to spend $90 on the Logitech GX9, but if that's as far out of your price range as it is mine, the $25 MX310 won't let you down. I've used mine for over 5 years playing everything from Counter-Strike to Warcraft, and not once have I had to blame a loss on my mouse.

Considering the price and performance, I give this mouse a 9/10. I'd feel guilty giving it anything less!

PRO BRONZE

Re: Logitech MX310 Optical Mouse

Postby sumitooh » Wed Apr 01, 2009 5:16 pm

i want to know...wat is the function of tilt key above the mouse....???and how it is used???
i had never used this key ...
i want vista drivers for this mouse plz help me out... :confused
PRO New Member

Re: Logitech MX310 Optical Mouse

Postby ar1stotle » Tue Jun 30, 2009 1:43 am

sumitooh wrote:i want to know...wat is the function of tilt key above the mouse....???and how it is used???
i had never used this key ...
i want vista drivers for this mouse plz help me out... :confused

If you have the logitech driver installed, the button below the scroll wheel is supposed to bring up a menu to help you switch between windows, but I never use it. You don't need any special drivers unless you want that function. I don't have the logitech software installed and it works perfectly fine in Vista and Windows 7.
PRO BRONZE

Return to Guides