A Digital Age Deserves A Digital Leader

new wireless router suggestions

new wireless router suggestions

Postby yeshuas » Tue Mar 31, 2009 3:20 pm

I need some advice on a new router, I am a little disappointed with Linksys, since my WRT330N gaming router is only a little over a year and a half old, the one before that only lasted about the same, and personally, I think they should last a lot longer than that.

So share your experiences and suggestions, and keep in mind I already have a WPC600N card for my laptop, so I would like to have another N type router with gigabyte lan.
Game Over!!!!!!!!
ASUS Maximus V Gene MB
Windows 8 X64; Windows 7 X64; Windows 7 X86
Intel I5-3570K
16GB Corsair Vengeance Ram
eVGA GeForce GTX 550 TI
Corsair GS700 PS
1TB Seagate SATA 6.0Gb HD
Thermaltake Case
Software Development

Re: new wireless router suggestions

Postby mnemonicj » Tue Mar 31, 2009 11:39 pm

I would consider this Buffalo WZR-HP-G300NH, only I am having problems finding a reseller online because it is fairly new.
PRO Level 15

Postby yeshuas » Wed Apr 01, 2009 12:39 am

I contacted Cisco/Linksys and told them I was very disappointed that the router had crapped out in such a short time and they happened to have a sales rep here in town.

So to make a long story short they had him drop by and bring me a WRT310N router to try and he took mine to see about getting it checked out by one of their techs and hopefully fix it.
Game Over!!!!!!!!
ASUS Maximus V Gene MB
Intel I5-3570K
eVGA GeForce GTX 550 TI
Corsair GS700 PS
Thermaltake Case
Software Development

Postby NT50 » Wed Apr 01, 2009 12:48 am

Netopia 3300 Series High-Performance Routers and Gateways will do for home
if you want the best of the best then
Motorola Netopia 7000 Series 4-Port Wireless Gateways
WARNING: Expensive and hard as h3ll to program.

If you want something with the smae internals as the buffalo then get and ASUS.

I have both and love them. Netopia is the best router I have ever owned and here is the kicker. Program and leave it alone. You don't have to reboot it multiple times a week like Linksys or some of the other stupid off the shelf routers.

Buy the Netopia and be done with it.
Dogs Have Owners; Cats Have Staff
PROfessional Member

Postby imnuts » Wed Apr 01, 2009 1:08 am

I think Newegg has the Buffalo router that was suggested by mnemonicj as I was looking there today when I first saw this. If the WRT310N is revision/version 1.0, I'd put DD-WRT on it as it is much better than the default firmware and extremely stable and highly configurable. I have the WRT300N with DD-WRT and it's been running without any problems for 64 days and counting, which is shortly after I got FiOS installed and I haven't done anything with it since.
PRO SUPREME

Postby yeshuas » Wed Apr 01, 2009 1:32 am

Finding a Netopia that is wireless N and has the gigbyte Lan is the next problem
Game Over!!!!!!!!
ASUS Maximus V Gene MB
Intel I5-3570K
eVGA GeForce GTX 550 TI
Corsair GS700 PS
Thermaltake Case
Software Development

Postby mnemonicj » Wed Apr 01, 2009 1:38 am

imnuts wrote:I think Newegg has the Buffalo router that was suggested by mnemonicj as I was looking there today when I first saw this. If the WRT310N is revision/version 1.0, I'd put DD-WRT on it as it is much better than the default firmware and extremely stable and highly configurable. I have the WRT300N with DD-WRT and it's been running without any problems for 64 days and counting, which is shortly after I got FiOS installed and I haven't done anything with it since.

I agree. I also use DD-WRT on my Buffalo 802.11g router and I love it. You can even change the transmitter power output of the router. I have had DD-WRT on my router for over 2 years and it has been running great.

I am not sure that Newegg has the Buffalo router yet though. Newegg does have the cheaper version of the router, but it doesn't meet his requirements of gigabit LAN.
PRO Level 15

Postby yeshuas » Wed Apr 01, 2009 1:54 am

I believe Linksys would be a littlle miffed to say the least if I changed the firmware on a router they loaned me. :P So i wll have to wait until I get my own.
Game Over!!!!!!!!
ASUS Maximus V Gene MB
Intel I5-3570K
eVGA GeForce GTX 550 TI
Corsair GS700 PS
Thermaltake Case
Software Development

Postby NT50 » Wed Apr 01, 2009 2:53 am

I don't do wireless N Im not sure if it is worth the $$$ for it.
I just know going on two years in this new house, the only time the router has been off or reset is when the tornado almost hit us and we had no power. It is on a UPS and stays on constantly.
I will choose the 100 or the gig any day also due to fact that the internet will only go so fast. When the bandwidth goes to Gig then I will invest in one. Sure you can transfer over the intranet faster but the internet is only so fast. To me the Gig is like owning a sports car in a town with narrow two lane roads and the speed limit is 10 mph.

Edit: My ASUS with DDWRT on it run sweet also. I have the kids bandwidth limited and also the time they are on.
Dogs Have Owners; Cats Have Staff
PROfessional Member

Postby mnemonicj » Wed Apr 01, 2009 3:36 am

NT50 wrote:I will choose the 100 or the gig any day also due to fact that the internet will only go so fast. When the bandwidth goes to Gig then I will invest in one. Sure you can transfer over the intranet faster but the internet is only so fast. To me the Gig is like owning a sports car in a town with narrow two lane roads and the speed limit is 10 mph.

Some people use the gigabit transfer over the intranet a lot, including me. I have my server, my main PC, and my work laptop all connected over a gigabit switch because it takes one tenth the time to transfer movie files that I record and modify on my main PC, transfer them to my server, then stream them whenever I want from my server to my home theater PC. I also backup my work files and transfer a pretty large user profile from my server to my main PC over my gigabit intranet.

If I think about it, more data is transfered over my intranet than from the internet to my house, so it is a good idea to make sure that it is faster. If I had the money to spend right now, I would be wiring the other 3 PCs and 2 networked printers over gigabit LAN, but installing gigabit wires through the house or upgrading my Buffalo router and 3 Buffalo wireless ethernet converters to 802.11n would cost a little too much right now.
PRO Level 15

Next

Return to Hardware and Customizing