A Digital Age Deserves A Digital Leader

Vista problem: No speaker sound from line in and mic!!! HELP!

Vista problem: No speaker sound from line in and mic!!! HELP!

Postby acer7720 » Tue Sep 11, 2007 3:32 pm

I bought a new notebook acer aspire 7720 that has Vista pre-installed. All programs that worked with xp work fine with vista. The thing that's make me crazy and angry is that when i connect an external source of music into the line in input of the onboard sound card i can't hear any sound from the speakers or the headphones output when recording!! I can hear it after recording!!The same with mic input of course. This is not a big problem for most users but for people that have an expensive equipment for audio music production is a HUGE problem. I found from other forums that is a Vista problem. So i think i have two solutions and i want your HELP and your opinion:
1) Buy an external sound card? It will work?
Or
2) Make dual boot with xp?
and of course i have a big WHY??? For what reason Microsoft did that???
Thanks for reading and for your time.
Last edited by acer7720 on Tue Sep 11, 2007 7:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.
PRO New Member

Postby JabbaPapa » Tue Sep 11, 2007 4:01 pm

NOT speaking as a sound card expert, I mean quite the opposite really, but ---- sound card manufacturers were basically left out of the loop during the development of WDM (Windows Driver Model), which maximises hardware performance in Vista by maximising the sharing of tasks between the motherboard and the daughterboards at a far lower level than in previous Windows versions --- fine for the graphics card manufacturers, but sound card people have to play catch-up on two years' worth of development that they basically were hardly consulted on.

Suddenly, whoop-ee they have to do four times as much work as previously to develop drivers for Vista (not to mention their XP customer base, which adds up to five), get the whole lot digitally signed, and test, test, test ...

---

Feel sorry for the guys, it's like they've been perfectly comfortable in their five-year old BMW, and suddenly told to start racing round the circuit with the other guys and their state-of-the-art F1 2k7s ... without being told how to drive the things :lol: :P

---

But, one day, eventually, sound in Vista will, well, just ... ROCK ...

---

... yeah, right ...
PRO VETERAN

Postby acer7720 » Tue Sep 11, 2007 5:54 pm

I hope it's driver problem and i hope not to take 4 years to fix it because music software manufacturers will close! And i can't wait even 4 days!...None of the previous OS had problems...I do audio recording from 3.11 windows version if i remember well, and never had this kind of problem. I think Microsoft did that on purpose...But i don't know the reason...In previous versions you just go to sound card console, check the box of mic fader, plug a microphone in mic input and listen your voice without hit record button...So simple...In Vista the mic input level show that it receive sound but you can't listen it!!! So WHY NOT in vista???
PRO New Member

Postby Nativedude » Wed Sep 12, 2007 4:48 am

Yes most likely that is a driver problem
But there isn't much that can be done (short of a dual boot with XP) until the manufacturer comes out with new drivers
PRO Level 15

Postby Michaels » Wed Sep 12, 2007 6:24 am

instead of dualbooting i will go for a pci audio card, they cost nothing these days
PROfessional Member

Postby acer7720 » Wed Sep 12, 2007 9:00 am

i have a notebook...i know that pci card is for desktop machines...or is there external pci card(confused)...my notebook has express card slot...i found a soundblaster X-FI express sound card but i don't know if it will work because the sound passed through vista sound console and maybe not let it go to speakers...the sounblaster manufacturer at his site says that there is a lot of audio problems with vista cause of different architecture platform and they working in daily base to solve them...so the solution at this time after searching a lot on internet and can't find something, is dualboot with xp and stay standby for vista solution.
PRO New Member

Re: Vista problem: No speaker sound from line in and mic!!! HELP

Postby royen111 » Tue Mar 31, 2009 6:57 pm

I don't know if this issue has been resolved. But anyway....

I have a Gateway ML6714 laptop running Vista with SigmaTel speakers and microphone. I have experienced the same problem but found out how to solve it. However, it may apply only for computers that use the SigmaTel sound solution.

My post http://royen-youcandoit.blogspot.com/20 ... akers.html in my blogger.com blog details the steps involved in the procedure.

I have created a video version http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KKH0CN-1BpM which I have posted in YouTube.

You can check them out and hope someone is helped.

Thanks,

Royen
PRO New Member

Re: Vista problem: No speaker sound from line in and mic!!! HELP

Postby augie » Tue Mar 31, 2009 9:13 pm

Well, thanks for that Royen as I doubt the OP is still here. Interesting links man! Don't be a stranger eh? ;)
Everything that irritates us about others can lead us to an understanding of ourselves. -- Carl Jung

eVGA X58 tri-SLI, i7 930 @ 3.8GHz., Corsair 6GB Dominator, Inno3D GTX470, eVGA260
ASUS P8P67 Pro, i7 2600K @4.60 GHz, 8GB RAM, eVGA GTX 460
Community Director

Return to General Windows Support