A Digital Age Deserves A Digital Leader

Vista PC's will not connect

Vista PC's will not connect

Postby T-Man1984 » Fri Mar 27, 2009 3:01 pm

Hey all,
I have two desktop PC's running Home Premium. One is wired, the other wireless. They can both see each other in the network map, but when I try to connect I get "Windows cannot access \\computername" The diagnose function is a joke..

I now have the PC's connect both via cable to the router, and still nothing. I've disabled the firewalls, and antivirus scanners. They both have a dynamic IP, but I've tried connecting by typing the IP into the network window, nothing.

I can ping them though.

Help, I cannot share files or printers. The more I use Vista, the more I like XP.
PRO Level 6

Re: Vista PC's will not connect

Postby yeshuas » Fri Mar 27, 2009 3:53 pm

Have you shared any folders on either computer?

What kind of network do you have set up "Private" "Public" etc.?

Have you gone into Network Sharing and placed a check mark in File sharing, Public folder sharing, or any other places?
Game Over!!!!!!!!
ASUS Maximus V Gene MB
Windows 8 X64; Windows 7 X64; Windows 7 X86
Intel I5-3570K
16GB Corsair Vengeance Ram
eVGA GeForce GTX 550 TI
Corsair GS700 PS
1TB Seagate SATA 6.0Gb HD
Thermaltake Case
Software Development

Postby T-Man1984 » Fri Mar 27, 2009 4:15 pm

Yes, that is all set, I have things shared. If I type in the address \\JDESKTOP\Users\Justin\Photos it will go right to the shared folder, if I type in \\JDESKOP\Users, it will show me and the default user. However, if I double click JDESKTOP in the network window, says it cannot be found!

I need to share my printer!
PRO Level 6

Postby yeshuas » Fri Mar 27, 2009 4:33 pm

What kind of network is it Private or Public?

Are you signing in as a adminstrator using a password?

Have you changed or added each computer users to the permissions, given them full control?

Have you right clicked on the Printer and on the sharing tab, placed a check mark to share it and given it shared name?
Game Over!!!!!!!!
ASUS Maximus V Gene MB
Windows 8 X64; Windows 7 X64; Windows 7 X86
Intel I5-3570K
16GB Corsair Vengeance Ram
eVGA GeForce GTX 550 TI
Corsair GS700 PS
1TB Seagate SATA 6.0Gb HD
Thermaltake Case
Software Development

Postby JabbaPapa » Fri Mar 27, 2009 5:57 pm

You should use the same user profile name on both computers, with the same password.

You cannot share resources in Vista/2k8/W7 if you have a blank password, and you need to have a profile name on the "server" that will also exist on the "client".

Hope this helps.
PRO VETERAN

Postby T-Man1984 » Sun Mar 29, 2009 3:45 am

I have it set to private network as it is just these two computers. Both PC's are password protected. Like mentioned, I can type in \\mypc\users and it pops right up on her pc, I also mapped a network drive from her's to mine, and put a shortcut to my shared files on her desktop, all work flawless, still no printer showing, I checked and it is shared..

I cannot go into the "network" and click on my computer from her's. It says \\mypc is not accessable. It clearly shows it in the network and the network map. I have also tried installing the local printer port and using \\mypc\hp, but I then get an access denied error!

This is stupid. I just upgraded to SP2 on my pc to see if it helped. Nothing.

:bashhead

Thought I should mention, I was not able to connect to her PC from mine, but in the changing of setting, I can now go into my network folder, click her computer name, and access her files. So it is half working, just not the half I need.
PRO Level 6

Postby T-Man1984 » Tue Mar 31, 2009 1:07 am

Jabba, you were correct. I had to create a new user account on both computers and set the password to match the opposite computer.

What a stupid thing to do. How is a normal PC'er going to know to do that.

Way to fail microsoft.
PRO Level 6

Postby JabbaPapa » Tue Mar 31, 2009 6:36 am

T-Man1984 wrote:Jabba, you were correct. I had to create a new user account on both computers and set the password to match the opposite computer.

What a stupid thing to do. How is a normal PC'er going to know to do that.

Way to fail microsoft.

:)

Glad I could help ...

It's really just the typical Windows Server/Client model, and should have been implemented in Windows 95 IMO --- and yes, it is annoying isn't it ? --- and yes, it forces people to unlearn 12-15 years of experience on how to share content between several PCs :wave: :uhhh :pc
PRO VETERAN

Return to General Windows Support