A Digital Age Deserves A Digital Leader

Multi-core SMP in VMWare 1.08 Installation Guide

Forum rules
Welcome to our modest though robust team of folders! You are all more than welcome to join us or ask specific questions about how to go about folding but please start a new thread to post your questions, this way nothing of importance will be lost and everyone here will help you out.

If you just want to chat folding then the Folding@Home Home thread will be great!

Multi-core SMP in VMWare 1.08 Installation Guide

Postby augie » Fri Jan 02, 2009 6:49 pm

This is a guide for people who are already running GPU2 folding on Windows and still have quite a few cycles to mop up on other cores.

What is required

Download VMWare Server 1.08 binary package (146MB) Make sure to register to get your serial key and activate your account.
Download Ubuntu 8.04 LTS making sure you choose the 64 bit option, the file should read "ubuntu 8.04.1-desktop-amd64.iso Don't worry if you have an Intel CPU, this works on both platforms and don't ask me why they named it as such.;) (700MB) Burn the ISO to CD using your burning application or you can grab a nice small and free application like ImgBurn I also recommend Ubuntu 8.04 as it's faster by %30 than the 8.10(latest release) at the moment for folding.

Oh, enable vitualization in BIOS if applicable to you.

Installation

The VMWare installation is an easy wizard though will take as long as 15 minutes, just make sure you choose Linux-Ubuntu 64 from the dropdown list, the bridged ethernet option, 768MB of memory and hit the '2 processors' radio button and give 5GB for the installation, here's what the settings option in the VM tab should look like:

Start the VM, go to task manager find the vmware-vmx.exe entry, rght-clk/Set Affinity and click off cores 2 and 3 on a quad, then OK out. You will have to do this every time you reboot the host. Then install the default Ubuntu ISO entering the appropriate info when required. It'll also take about 15 or 20 minutes.

Time to install the math library from the 'terminal'. You can find that under Applications/Accessories. Works much like the Command Prompt in Windows.

Code: Select all
sudo apt-get install ia32-libs

Open FF and go and grab Linux (x86) and BSD *combined uniprocessor and SMP client* (64-bit required for SMP) If all goes well, then you'll see a xxx.tar.gz file on your desktop.

Double click it and extract it to /home/your username/folder of your choice, I use a short folder name for ease of typing:

Use Terminal to navigate to your folder, this is for my setup:

cd folding (commands are case sensitive)
cd FAH
"./fah6 -smp -forceasm -verbosity 9" without the quotes to start the client. Don't forget the space between each term. (I have to find the ASCII character for a space, it's a 'b' with a slash through it.)

OK, so you now got it going on your quad! :cool: ^*^ Just one step left to get the PPD maximized is to set the affinity in the Task Manager for your VMWare, click on 'Show processes from all users' right-click vmware.exe and choose affinity to either cores 0/1 or 2/3. That's it man!

Happy folding!

BTW, comments/constructive criticisms are very welcome as I write this. :yesnod: Also, I'l be expanding this tutorial at a later date so that less experienced users can get VMWare folding up and running with more detailed instructions and screenshots.:)
Everything that irritates us about others can lead us to an understanding of ourselves. -- Carl Jung

eVGA X58 tri-SLI, i7 930 @ 3.8GHz., Corsair 6GB Dominator, Inno3D GTX470, eVGA260
ASUS P8P67 Pro, i7 2600K @4.60 GHz, 8GB RAM, eVGA GTX 460
Community Director

Re: Multi-core SMP in VMWare 1.08 Installation Guide (WIP)

Postby SonicSpeed » Sat Jan 03, 2009 11:52 pm

Last I checked though you cannot run a 64-bit guest from within a 32-bit host.
PRO Level 14

Re: Multi-core SMP in VMWare 1.08 Installation Guide (WIP)

Postby augie » Sun Jan 04, 2009 6:28 pm

SonicSpeed wrote:Last I checked though you cannot run a 64-bit guest from within a 32-bit host.

You would normally be correct, however you can run an X64 as it runs inside a virtual machine running under Windows Vista X86 in this case.
Everything that irritates us about others can lead us to an understanding of ourselves. -- Carl Jung

eVGA X58 tri-SLI, i7 930 @ 3.8GHz., Corsair 6GB Dominator, Inno3D GTX470, eVGA260
Community Director

Re: Multi-core SMP in VMWare 1.08 Installation Guide

Postby augie » Thu Jan 22, 2009 8:29 pm

OK, I cleaned this guide up, so it's back up here and as said above I'll be making this more friendly for folks who have never used Linux before. (It's not that hard.;)) I now have Windows 7 loaded up and working and will be making the rest of the 'user friendlier' guide from there as it will work in Vista and XP also. Again, please post your experiences or criticisms or corrections. Thank you.:)

WTF! ^*^ (Erm, that term should only be used in the DC forum for obvious reasons. :whistle )

Way To Fold everybody!!! ^*^

Community Director

Postby augie » Sat Feb 28, 2009 3:55 pm

Guide has been updated.

Change log:

Added the following line:

Start the VM, go to task manager find the vmware-vmx.exe entry, rght-clk/Set Affinity and click off cores 2 and 3 on a quad, then OK out. You will have to do this every time you reboot the host.

Assigning affinity improved my production by %20 :shocked: ^*^

Added the -forceasm flag to the start up command string, this will clean up your logs somewhat:

Code: Select all
./fah6 -smp -forceasm -verbosity 9

Community Director

Postby yeshuas » Sat Mar 28, 2009 3:16 pm

I have dual gigabyte lan on my MB, is there a way to assign its own lan instead of using the bridged
Game Over!!!!!!!!
ASUS Maximus V Gene MB
Windows 8 X64; Windows 7 X64; Windows 7 X86
Intel I5-3570K
16GB Corsair Vengeance Ram
eVGA GeForce GTX 550 TI
Corsair GS700 PS
1TB Seagate SATA 6.0Gb HD
Thermaltake Case
Software Development

Postby imnuts » Sun Mar 29, 2009 7:09 pm

yeshuas wrote:I have dual gigabyte lan on my MB, is there a way to assign its own lan instead of using the bridged

I think the only thing you can really do is change which LAN/network adapter the bridged network connects over. I don't think there is a way to have it use the specific device.
PRO SUPREME

Postby augie » Mon May 11, 2009 4:31 pm

Updated! Following was added for your folding pleasure.:)

OK, so you now got it going on your quad! :cool: ^*^ Just one step left to get the PPD maximized is to set the affinity in the Task Manager for your VMWare, click on 'Show processes from all users' right-click vmware.exe and choose affinity to either cores 0/1 or 2/3. That's it man!

Community Director

Return to Distributed Computing