A Digital Age Deserves A Digital Leader

Vista and xp dual boot issue

Forum rules
This forum is meant for support of PRO Software only. PROnetworks reserves the right to edit any topic title to better explain the contents of a post. We also may move your post to a more suitable forum if necessary.

It may take our support staff up to 24 hours to respond to your problem. We appreciate your patience.

Vista and xp dual boot issue

Postby BMWKING » Sat Mar 21, 2009 1:29 am

Hi -

Vista is pre-installed. Need XP to dual boot. I am on the XP now but when it goes to load up I select earlier versions of windows I get an error /ntldr

I looked at the settings and this is what it has.

Windows Legacy OS Loader
------------------------
identifier {ntldr}
device unknown
path \ntldr
description Earlier Version of Windows

How do I fix this? It is really annoying :)

Thank you for your help I appreciate it.
PRO New Member

Re: Vista and xp dual boot issue

Postby Grav!ty » Sat Mar 21, 2009 1:42 am

Check what the drive letter is for XP (as seen from XP) and then go to the Manage OS Entries page of VistaBootPRO, click on the XP entry, select the Change Boot Drive section and select the drive letter XP is on. Apply updates and test your XP menu entry by rebooting to XP.

"The great majority of mankind are satisfied with appearances, as though they were realities, and are often more influenced by the things that seem than by those that are." - Niccolo Machiavelli
PROfessional Member

Postby BMWKING » Sat Mar 21, 2009 4:18 am

Thank you for the response. But, no that did not work. It is still giving me the same error /ntldr and then I have to go through the repair process.

What is weird is that when I set it up with your instructions it talks about renaming the drives. Given that I have already some recovery drive I left it as is so on my Vista computer it is drive K.

On the XP side the XP drive is D.....

Is this a problem?

Thanks again!
PRO New Member

Postby Grav!ty » Sat Mar 21, 2009 4:35 am

No the drive letter changing in Vista is not a problem as Vista uses "virtual drive letters". There's no harm in trying the driver letter for XP as shown in Vista though, since your boot menu isn't working anyway.

Check to see where the files ntldr, boot.ini and NTDETECT.COM are located. They need to be on the drive/partition tagged (System) in disk management. You will have to show hidden files and folders and do not hide protected operating system files in folder options to see them. You can simply copy and paste them to where they need to be.

"The great majority of mankind are satisfied with appearances, as though they were realities, and are often more influenced by the things that seem than by those that are." - Niccolo Machiavelli
PROfessional Member

Return to PRO Software