A Digital Age Deserves A Digital Leader

can't format c

Forum rules
This forum is meant for support of PRO Software only. PROnetworks reserves the right to edit any topic title to better explain the contents of a post. We also may move your post to a more suitable forum if necessary.

It may take our support staff up to 24 hours to respond to your problem. We appreciate your patience.

can't format c

Postby sammy12 » Mon Mar 09, 2009 4:10 am

I installed the vista boot pro software on my standa alone vista system as I want to uninstall vista and install win xp but after going to manage BCD and selecting Vista and deleting via the red x. I then went to manage in computer and disk management and I have two hard drives and I can format the recovery on e but the c drive where vista is located is grayed out. and the other hard drive will allow formatting. So what have I missed out or do I have to do?thanks sammyt12
PRO New Member

Re: can't format c

Postby Grav!ty » Mon Mar 09, 2009 4:14 am

You have to do that when you install XP, by booting to the XP CD and then at the setup screen where you select the partition/drive on which to install it, you'll be able to delete the partition and create a new one for XP.

"The great majority of mankind are satisfied with appearances, as though they were realities, and are often more influenced by the things that seem than by those that are." - Niccolo Machiavelli
PROfessional Member

Postby sammy12 » Mon Mar 09, 2009 4:27 am

so after deleting via bcd you say I should put my win xp disk in dvd and reboot and I will get the options to format c. I tried that as i could not format c via the my computer method but I got a serious error and had to use my vista disk to reintall it and as such I'm back to having vista which I want to uninstall.
PRO New Member

Postby Grav!ty » Mon Mar 09, 2009 4:47 am

You cannot format an operating systems drive from within the operating system...it's a bit like a dog eating it's self starting from the tail...not possible. What error message did you get when you tried to format from XP setup?

"The great majority of mankind are satisfied with appearances, as though they were realities, and are often more influenced by the things that seem than by those that are." - Niccolo Machiavelli
PROfessional Member

Postby sammy12 » Mon Mar 09, 2009 3:32 pm

ok, I'm going to delete via BCD and then then boot from my xp disk. Hopefully all goes well,
PRO New Member

Postby sammy12 » Fri Mar 20, 2009 5:49 am

hi once more, I again went to BCd and deleted Vista like you advised and put my xp disk in dvd and rebooted and hit press any key and windows xp briefly began the install process loading files and then message below appeared and Vista would no longer work so had to do a reinstall of Vista and am now back up but certainly no closer to uninstalling Vista and then installing xp.

A problem has been detected and Windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer. If this is the first time you've seen this Stop error screen, restart your computer. If this screen appears again, follow these steps: Check for viruses on your computer. Remove any newly installed hard drives or hard drive controllers. Check your hard drive to make sure it is properly configured and terminated. Run CHKDSK /F to check for hard drive corruption, and then restart your computer. Technical Information: *** STOP: 0x0000007B (0xF78DE524,0xC0000034,0x00000000,0x00000000
PRO New Member

Postby JabbaPapa » Fri Mar 20, 2009 7:24 am

You may need to create a personalised setup CD for Windows XP, containing SATA drivers needed to read/write to/from your hard drive AND to/from your CD/DVD drive.

Errrr --- if I might ask, WHY exactly do you want to remove Vista and install XP instead ?

Also, is this a laptop or a desktop PC, and do you have more than 4GB of RAM installed ?
PRO VETERAN

Postby sammy12 » Fri Mar 20, 2009 9:03 pm

VISTA takes too long to boot up in comparison to my prior expierience with xp pro and the continual asking for permission is a real bug. What is the process to do as you suggested to modify my xp to work. I have 3 g ram on a dual core quad 6600
PRO New Member

Postby NT50 » Fri Mar 20, 2009 9:19 pm

You will need to find out what the hard driver controllers are on your motherboard and downlaod those drivers and slip stream them into a Win XP install disk. Some use nLite to do the job for them. You could also disable the Sata and use native IDE in BIOS and install XP but you will still need to find the drivers and install them to switch the bios back to Sata otherwise it will run slower than designed for.
Dogs Have Owners; Cats Have Staff
PROfessional Member

Postby JabbaPapa » Sat Mar 21, 2009 8:03 am

sammy12 wrote: ... and the continual asking for permission is a real bug.

You can disable UAC by hitting Start, clicking on your user profile icon (the piccie at the top of the Start Menu), and disable UAC (User Access Control). Then Vista will no longer ask for any permission to do anything...

Yeh, it's ANNOYING isn't it !! :uhhh

Boot to XP or Vista can be faster or slower either way, it's pretty much hardware dependent which boosts faster.
PRO VETERAN

Next

Return to PRO Software