A Digital Age Deserves A Digital Leader

Problem Using Partition Commander Pro (ver 10.1)

Re: Problem Using Partition Commander Pro (ver 10.1)

Postby JabbaPapa » Thu Mar 19, 2009 7:41 pm

bbarry wrote:
JabbaPapa wrote:Hmmm given you didn't touch the Vista partition directly, it's possible that creating some free space on the drive (even just a small number of MB) *immediately after* your Vista partition might make it bootable again ..

I am probably going brain dead, but I'm not sure how to now create some free space on the drive since I can't boot into Vista. You mentioned a bootable CD from paragon which will let you manage partitions without booting the OS. Is this how I would now create free space on the partition? Or will I be able to get into Vista's Disk Management if I try and boot from the Vista DVD?

Yes the bootable CD from paragon should let you do that -- if it doesn't work, then the partitioning is just nerfed.

If you have no data in that merged partition you could simply try deleting it, if you can manage to obtain a working bootable partition managing CD :)
PRO VETERAN

Postby bbarry » Fri Mar 20, 2009 12:12 am

I guess my problem is worse than I thought....so I guess I have indeed "nurfed" my partitions. But I have a feeing that the problem goes beyond that. I can't boot from any CD/DVD - not the Windows Installlaton DVD, the Acronis bootable CD, nor the bootable CD I created using Cute Partition Manager to let me manage partitions w/o booting the OS (I couldn't locate the one from Paragon). I insert the DVD or CD, the drive light comes on for a little bit then goes off, and nothing ever happens.

In fact, I can't even access my BIOS anymore. When I start the computer, the Intel screen starts up - it ID's the board and processor, specifies the amount of RAM, detects the legacy keyboard/mouse, and enables USB legacy. At that point the screen says to press F2 to enter Setup (this has always been the key to press for Setup). But when I press F2, it says that it is "Entering Setup", and then it just hangs.

Any suggestions on where I should go from here? I can't even reinstall Vista at this point. The troubleshooting info that came with the Intel motherboard hints that BIOS might be recovered my removing the CMOS battery for 10 minutes and then reinstalling/rebooting. I'm not much of a hardware guy, but I think I can accomplish this if it makes any sense to do so.

Thanks for any help........
PRO Level 3

Postby Grav!ty » Fri Mar 20, 2009 12:39 am

bbarry wrote:When I start the computer, the Intel screen starts up - it ID's the board and processor, specifies the amount of RAM, detects the legacy keyboard/mouse, and enables USB legacy. At that point the screen says to press F2 to enter Setup (this has always been the key to press for Setup). But when I press F2, it says that it is "Entering Setup", and then it just hangs.

That usually happens when the system unsuccessfully searches for HDD's. See if you can find HDD software at the site of your hard drive manufacturer, to write a new mbr to the drive or as a last resort to zero the drive. Normally such software needs to be run from a floppy disc. You will lose any data on the drive if you have to go with the zeroing option.

"The great majority of mankind are satisfied with appearances, as though they were realities, and are often more influenced by the things that seem than by those that are." - Niccolo Machiavelli
PROfessional Member

Postby JabbaPapa » Fri Mar 20, 2009 7:06 am

If this is a desktop rig, there should be a jumper on the motherboard that will let you clear CMOS.

Power down, move jumper to clear CMOS position, power up (nothing will appear to happen, computer shouldn't switch on), power down, move jumper back, power up.

Hmmmm do you have another computer that you could plug the hard drive into as a slave drive, so that you could delete or otherwise attempt to fix the partitions using this other computer ?
PRO VETERAN

Postby bbarry » Fri Mar 20, 2009 11:31 am

After I return from a doctor appt, I'm going to try several things later today.......I've downloaded the Western Digital utility software, I'm going to try and clear CMOS, I'm going to try and slave the hard drive, etc. I will keep you posted................thanks.
PRO Level 3

Postby bbarry » Fri Mar 20, 2009 3:28 pm

I made a little headway but I still need some guidance. Here's what I did:
(1) I disconnected the HDD and I could indeed boot into BIOS. So at least I haven't screwed up my BIOS.
(2) When the HDD was disconnected I could boot from the Partition Commander CD as well as the Western Digital utility that I downloaded. But neither of these programs did me much good because the troublesome HDD was still disconnected.
(3) When I reconnected the HDD, the problem reappeared - I couldn't boot into BIOS and I couldn't boot from any DVD/CD or floppy.
(4) I don't have access to another computer at this time that has an ATA drive configuration. My new Vista-64 computer has two SATA drives, and the connections appear to be different.

Anything else I can try? Thanks..........
PRO Level 3

Postby yeshuas » Fri Mar 20, 2009 3:40 pm

You might try another cable to connect the drive if you have one or can get one
Game Over!!!!!!!!
ASUS Maximus V Gene MB
Windows 8 X64; Windows 7 X64; Windows 7 X86
Intel I5-3570K
16GB Corsair Vengeance Ram
eVGA GeForce GTX 550 TI
Corsair GS700 PS
1TB Seagate SATA 6.0Gb HD
Thermaltake Case
Software Development

Postby Grav!ty » Fri Mar 20, 2009 3:42 pm

In a similar situation in the past, I found that if I wait long enough the HDD info is found by the BIOS and the system does see it. I don't know if you've tried waiting for any length of time but it may be worth a try.

"The great majority of mankind are satisfied with appearances, as though they were realities, and are often more influenced by the things that seem than by those that are." - Niccolo Machiavelli
PROfessional Member

Postby bbarry » Fri Mar 20, 2009 4:05 pm

yeshuas wrote:You might try another cable to connect the drive if you have one or can get one

I guess I don't understand. Are you saying to simply replace the ATA cable that is there? Do you think that would alleviate the problem I caused messing around with my partitions?
PRO Level 3

Postby bbarry » Fri Mar 20, 2009 4:13 pm

Grav!ty wrote:In a similar situation in the past, I found that if I wait long enough the HDD info is found by the BIOS and the system does see it. I don't know if you've tried waiting for any length of time but it may be worth a try.

I thought I had waited long enough, but maybe not. So I am going to try again.........long enough for me to eat lunch and take my nap, lol.

At this point I think I would be willing to reformat the HDD and take a chance on being able to reinstall from my Acronis image backup. But I don't even know how to do that, since I can't access the HDD. Ignorance sure gets tiresome sometime.
PRO Level 3

PreviousNext

Return to General Tech Chat