A Digital Age Deserves A Digital Leader

Internet Explorer 8 Security Breached...on day 1

Internet Explorer 8 Security Breached...on day 1

Postby Grav!ty » Thu Mar 19, 2009 5:05 pm

The Pwn2Own trifecta: Safari, IE 8, and Firefox exploited on day 1

By Thomas Ricker,
Mar 19th 2009

That didn't take long. One day into the Pwn2Own hacking competition at CanSecWest and already Apple, Microsoft, and Mozilla have been sent packing to their respective labs to work on security issues in their browsers. In a repeat performance, Charlie Miller pocketed a $5,000 cash prize and a fully-patched MacBook by splitting it wide, and gaining full control of the device after a user clicked on his malicious link. Another white-hatter by the name Nils (pictured) toppled Internet Explorer 8 running on a Windows 7 laptop -- again, the five grand and compromised VAIO P laptop are now his to keep as compensation for turning over the malicious code. So much for "protection that no other browser can match," eh Mr. Ballmer?

Source: Engadget

"The great majority of mankind are satisfied with appearances, as though they were realities, and are often more influenced by the things that seem than by those that are." - Niccolo Machiavelli
PROfessional Member

Re: Internet Explorer 8 Security Breached...on day 1

Postby kanaloa » Thu Mar 19, 2009 5:13 pm

That's not embarrassing or anything :lol:
"Greatness is not a function of circumstance. Greatness, it turns out, is largely a matter of conscious choice, and discipline." - Jim Collins
President

Postby imnuts » Thu Mar 19, 2009 7:54 pm

To be fair, it says that it was IE8 on Windows 7, and if they were doing this truly legit, then the latest available build to a majority of people is Beta 1, and I'm sure a lot has been changed since then. It could be that they got a more recent build to test out at the event though.
PRO SUPREME

Postby NT50 » Thu Mar 19, 2009 10:08 pm

In my line of work there have been several facebook users that are gettign the AV 360 rogue anti virus program just by a click. I have also seen the rogue MS 2008, 2009, 2010 antivirus program install automatically from facebook.
I have not had the opportunity to work on MAC issues yet though. But I am about to buy a Mac Mini to run my Quickbooks and Quicken on...............
Dogs Have Owners; Cats Have Staff
PROfessional Member

Return to General Tech Chat