A Digital Age Deserves A Digital Leader

How do I modify the boot loader in XP to see windows 7

How do I modify the boot loader in XP to see windows 7

Postby davidcatt » Sat Mar 14, 2009 10:13 pm

I originally had windows XP installed on my PC which was installed on Drive C. I backed this up using a disk imaging program about 3 months ago. About 2 months ago I installed windows 7 on a different drive (H) and set it to dual boot using Vistabootpro. All worked fine until I had a problem with the Windows XP installation and so I restored the original disc image from the back up file. As you would expect, when I boot the system I only see the single installation which is the restored Windows XP. What do I need to do to get the dual boot working where I can select either the XP OS or Windows 7?
I tried installing VistabootPro but this gives me an error that the "BCD Registery is corrupt or missing.
PRO New Member

Re: How do I modify the boot loader in XP to see windows 7

Postby yeshuas » Sat Mar 14, 2009 11:37 pm

Try this guide and see if it helps you sort this out
http://www.pronetworks.org/index.php/gu ... ows_vista/
Game Over!!!!!!!!
ASUS Maximus V Gene MB
Windows 8 X64; Windows 7 X64; Windows 7 X86
Intel I5-3570K
16GB Corsair Vengeance Ram
eVGA GeForce GTX 550 TI
Corsair GS700 PS
1TB Seagate SATA 6.0Gb HD
Thermaltake Case
Software Development

Postby davidcatt » Sun Mar 15, 2009 2:08 pm

Hello Yeshaus,
Thanks for the quick response.
I am unable do the "preparation" part of the guide as I restored my hard drive a week ago. Should have thought about doing this before loosing all the XP data however I can see a folder "Boot" on the Vista Drive. Where on the XP drive should this be pasted. In a subfolder PCAT is the file bootmgr size 390KB. Is this the correct file? If so where on the XP drive should I paste that.
Thanks.
David
PRO New Member

Postby yeshuas » Sun Mar 15, 2009 2:30 pm

davidcatt wrote:Hello Yeshaus,
Thanks for the quick response.
I am unable do the "preparation" part of the guide as I restored my hard drive a week ago. Should have thought about doing this before loosing all the XP data however I can see a folder "Boot" on the Vista Drive. Where on the XP drive should this be pasted. In a subfolder PCAT is the file bootmgr size 390KB. Is this the correct file? If so where on the XP drive should I paste that.
Thanks.
David

It should go it the root directory of XP along with the files, bootmgr, NTDETECT, boot.ini, and NTLDR
Game Over!!!!!!!!
ASUS Maximus V Gene MB
Windows 8 X64; Windows 7 X64; Windows 7 X86
Intel I5-3570K
16GB Corsair Vengeance Ram
eVGA GeForce GTX 550 TI
Corsair GS700 PS
1TB Seagate SATA 6.0Gb HD
Thermaltake Case
Software Development

Postby davidcatt » Mon Mar 16, 2009 3:43 am

That worked thanks.
After copying the Boot folder and Bootmgr file to the XP drive, after a reboot the system can not boot because the bcdregistery is incorrect. I had to use the WIndows 7 DVD and follow the repair procedure. Then could boot to the original Windows 7 install. Had to then install vistabootpro on the WIndows 7 drive and add the winXP boot info. All is well now and thanks for your help.
David
PRO New Member

Return to General Windows Support