A Digital Age Deserves A Digital Leader

Gentoo SMP Virtual Machine

Forum rules
Welcome to our modest though robust team of folders! You are all more than welcome to join us or ask specific questions about how to go about folding but please start a new thread to post your questions, this way nothing of importance will be lost and everyone here will help you out.

If you just want to chat folding then the Folding@Home Home thread will be great!

Re: Gentoo SMP Virtual Machine

Postby augie » Sat Mar 14, 2009 6:34 pm

yeshuas wrote:
augie wrote:
yeshuas wrote:Has anyone tried the Gentoo setup yet????

I am currently downloading it and will give it a shot probably later today

Not yet Dan, I've been having a bear of a time with the X2 Ubuntu 8.10 goes in like a dream but 8.04 keeps hanging, giving the error that the CD may be dirty or the optical needs cleaning. :confused Anyways, I'll try it either tomorrow or Monday.

Why don't you try using an ISO image on the harddrive instead of the one on the CD and see if that helps. I had one of mine hang up and I don't know for how many hours, at least overnight, and I had to do a reboot of that VM to get it started again.

The X2 machine will be a designated *nix rig so nothing to do with VM but thanks. ;)
Everything that irritates us about others can lead us to an understanding of ourselves. -- Carl Jung

eVGA X58 tri-SLI, i7 930 @ 3.8GHz., Corsair 6GB Dominator, Inno3D GTX470, eVGA260
ASUS P8P67 Pro, i7 2600K @4.60 GHz, 8GB RAM, eVGA GTX 460
Community Director

Postby BILLMCC66 » Sun Mar 15, 2009 10:27 am

Silly Q probably but how do we start this?
I see 2 files 1 for VM ware virtual disk and a 2nd for VM ware configuration but when i try to start config i get a message that VMware can not start this application because it was created by a machine with mor products than this one?
If i try to open VMware virtual disk it tell me that it can not open the file?
STILL LEARNING

LOGIC CAN GET YOU FROM A TO B BUT IMAGINATION CAN GET YOU ANYWHERE
PRO Level 8

Postby imnuts » Sun Mar 15, 2009 6:29 pm

I think I made it "portable" now. I thought one may be able to just copy files from one install of VMWare to the next, but apparently not. I exported the virtual machine and have made a new package which is currently uploading (same filename). It's a little bit bigger now, but should work for everyone. Once it's downloaded and extracted, just open up VMWare and use the import feature under the file menu to bring it to your system and it should work. I'm also testing it out in VMWare player, as that will make it easier to use than VMWare server or workstation.

EDIT: The new file is uploaded. Can people try it out and let me know of any issues?
PRO SUPREME

Postby imnuts » Tue Mar 17, 2009 8:47 pm

Anyone using this?
PRO SUPREME

Postby e to the x » Wed Mar 18, 2009 3:14 am

Not yet. Still need to get ym water cooling set-up then read and reread and rereread the instructions...
~Main Rig~
Phenom II X6
GA-870a-UD3
8 GB Corsair DDR3-1333
eVGA 9800GT
WD Black 500 GB
WD Black 1 TB
WD Green 1 TB
Seagate 250 GB
W7 x64
~Audio Stream Rig~
Athlon XP 2000+
MSI Motherboard
1 GB DDR-400
SoundBlaster Audigy2
160 GB HDD
WinXP
PROfessional Member

Postby yeshuas » Thu Mar 19, 2009 3:29 am

imnuts wrote:Anyone using this?

I tried to get it to start, but get a error message saying to insert a disk in the CD drive. I increased the memory to 768 and used 5GB space for the HD, used other Linux 64 bit etc. and no go.
Game Over!!!!!!!!
ASUS Maximus V Gene MB
Windows 8 X64; Windows 7 X64; Windows 7 X86
Intel I5-3570K
16GB Corsair Vengeance Ram
eVGA GeForce GTX 550 TI
Corsair GS700 PS
1TB Seagate SATA 6.0Gb HD
Thermaltake Case
Software Development

Postby augie » Wed Mar 25, 2009 5:57 pm

imnuts wrote:Anyone using this?

Well I tried importing this and VM couldn't find the proper file extension:

I'm stumped Mark. :confused What do I need to start the gentoo.vmdk ? Double clicking it in Vista X86 gives me a 'What do you want to use to open this file' error.
Everything that irritates us about others can lead us to an understanding of ourselves. -- Carl Jung

eVGA X58 tri-SLI, i7 930 @ 3.8GHz., Corsair 6GB Dominator, Inno3D GTX470, eVGA260
ASUS P8P67 Pro, i7 2600K @4.60 GHz, 8GB RAM, eVGA GTX 460
Community Director

Postby imnuts » Wed Mar 25, 2009 7:59 pm

hmm, this should be universal, at least for the most part. I'm guessing that most of you are using VMWare Server? I'll create another virtual machine package for just VMWare server 1.x since that is probably what most are using. The one that I created ATM is an open virtual machine item that should be able to be imported elsewhere, but maybe they haven't included support for it in the VMWare server 1.x line. It should be ready to upload soon, and I'll repost when it can be downloaded.
PRO SUPREME

Postby imnuts » Thu Mar 26, 2009 3:04 am

Ok, hopefully this one works for people using VMWare server. Everything should be the same about it, just that it's made for the server version only. I haven't tried it out as I only have VMWare player and workstation installed, so feedback would be good. Download here. It should be done uploading in ~20 minutes. If you get a 404, just try it again in a little bit and it should be good.
PRO SUPREME

Previous

Return to Distributed Computing