A Digital Age Deserves A Digital Leader

nt50's friend here with a question on overclocking

nt50's friend here with a question on overclocking

Postby decoy » Thu Mar 12, 2009 3:26 am

OVERCLOCKING...well i want to oc my cpu and stuff but im looking for a cpu program that tells me the cpu temp and stuff...i was told to come here and ask because there are some people on here that are over clockers and what not if you have xfire my screen name is impenitentkilla if not ill check this later
PRO New Member

Re: nt50's friend here with a question/guide

Postby yeshuas » Thu Mar 12, 2009 11:06 am

This program will tell you the CPU temp, "Core Temp"

But you will OC thru the bios, that is the best way
Game Over!!!!!!!!
ASUS Maximus V Gene MB
Windows 8 X64; Windows 7 X64; Windows 7 X86
Intel I5-3570K
16GB Corsair Vengeance Ram
eVGA GeForce GTX 550 TI
Corsair GS700 PS
1TB Seagate SATA 6.0Gb HD
Thermaltake Case
Software Development

Postby NT50 » Thu Mar 12, 2009 11:45 am

My friend teh-Decoy :)

I will see if I can round up some of the OCing freaks around here. I know "freeagent" is a good one, along with several here. We have some people that are into folding and I think they overclock some.

There is a section here called Hardware And Customizing that in the past has had some attention to overclocking. You might want to do a search in that section to begin with.
Dogs Have Owners; Cats Have Staff
PROfessional Member

Postby mnemonicj » Thu Mar 12, 2009 1:55 pm

I needed temperature monitoring for a friend's computer I was working on and found this: SpeedFan
PRO Level 15

Re: nt50's friend here with a question on overclocking

Postby decoy » Fri Mar 13, 2009 4:33 pm

alright i got a program to see everything and its running arond high 30's idle and low 40-45C ingame...i got occt and speed fan, but my next question is BIOS...where can i get a bios that lets me change the settings i have MSI P7N SLI mobo...and it lets me change voltage but not my fbs/hertz i have been reading some and they said if you cant get it to change get new bios any suggestions?
PRO New Member

Postby yeshuas » Fri Mar 13, 2009 4:46 pm

Here is a link that reviews and gets into the guts of OC'ing your board

http://www.overclock3d.net/reviews.php? ... herboard/1
Game Over!!!!!!!!
ASUS Maximus V Gene MB
Windows 8 X64; Windows 7 X64; Windows 7 X86
Intel I5-3570K
16GB Corsair Vengeance Ram
eVGA GeForce GTX 550 TI
Corsair GS700 PS
1TB Seagate SATA 6.0Gb HD
Thermaltake Case
Software Development

Postby augie » Fri Mar 13, 2009 5:03 pm

All I would say is be darn careful with voltages too, especially if you can't afford a new CPU or RAM. I generally found that a %10 OC was just great to start with!
Everything that irritates us about others can lead us to an understanding of ourselves. -- Carl Jung

eVGA X58 tri-SLI, i7 930 @ 3.8GHz., Corsair 6GB Dominator, Inno3D GTX470, eVGA260
ASUS P8P67 Pro, i7 2600K @4.60 GHz, 8GB RAM, eVGA GTX 460
Community Director

Postby NT50 » Sat Mar 14, 2009 6:56 pm

decoy wrote:alright i got a program to see everything and its running arond high 30's idle and low 40-45C ingame...i got occt and speed fan, but my next question is BIOS...where can i get a bios that lets me change the settings i have MSI P7N SLI mobo...and it lets me change voltage but not my fbs/hertz i have been reading some and they said if you cant get it to change get new bios any suggestions?

You will need to check with MSI site to see if they hae an update to allow you to do so.
Dogs Have Owners; Cats Have Staff
PROfessional Member

Postby leo27 » Sat Mar 14, 2009 11:48 pm

1st step is to download cpuz from http://www.cpuid.com/cpuz.php

now run cpuz and go to the motherboard tab so that you can check what bios version you currently have. Now go to http://global.msi.com.tw/index.php?func=downloaddetail&type=bios&maincat_no=1&prod_no=1373 to check the most recent bios to see if you even need to update.

If you do need to update i suggest you download the full motherboard manual (its from the same link I've just posted) and read through the bios update procedure.

Before you start any changes in the bios i suggest you read http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/240001-29-howto-overclock-quads-duals-guide this guide is a beginner overclocking guide for core 2 quads and dual cores. It contains the voltage ranges for different processors as well as step by step instructions.
PRO Level 4

Postby decoy » Wed Mar 25, 2009 5:55 pm

wow guys i really appreciate the support i have gotten from you all...but i am still a little hesitant in making this decision...i have heard "if your going to oc do it to the fullest because you wont see much difference from a little push" i have a dual core @ 2.53 each core, is it outlandish to try and clock that to 3.0?? i have been reading some forums to see how to do it, but none that say what people have gotten theirs to do. i am in a class getting my A+ cert, and me and a guy next to me were talking. he had his acceleration lame processor (forgot the name and spec of it) from around 1.5 or so and extreme clocked it to almost 3.0 (single core) so i was wondering if 3.0-3.5 or so would be to much on my dual core

just a quick question (again)....i have 2 hard drives, one is a 70gig that came with original pc, and i have a 500gig that has everything i own on it, it has xp home 32-bit on it, and i heard if you do mess up clocking there is a chance you can lose everything, so i was going to try and over clock on my 70 gig so if i do mess up or what not, it on that one, but it have xp pro 64-bit....would that make anything diff because i know you cant run some programs from 32 in 64 system

sorry if any of this doesn't make sense but any help would be appreciated
PRO New Member

Next

Return to Guides