A Digital Age Deserves A Digital Leader

Dual Boot Vista and XP with SATA problem

Forum rules
This forum is meant for support of PRO Software only. PROnetworks reserves the right to edit any topic title to better explain the contents of a post. We also may move your post to a more suitable forum if necessary.

It may take our support staff up to 24 hours to respond to your problem. We appreciate your patience.

Dual Boot Vista and XP with SATA problem

Postby Squeezy » Sat Mar 14, 2009 5:48 pm

Hi,
I have a new HP/Compaq PC for a friend. it came with Vista installed but he also wanted his old XP so I installed XP etc. The PC has a SATA drive with RAID option. To get XP to install I had to set the BIOS to SATA IDE and then XP was fine. I used pro to set up the boot options as I had lost vista. XP worked fine but I had a quick BSOD flash when selecting Vista and then it re booted. I finally reset the BIOS to SATA RAID (as delivered) and now Visat boots fine but when selecting XP I get a quick BSOD flash before it re boots. Do I need a later driver for XP or would the third setting, not yet tried, in the BIOS to SATA AHCD? Help please as this cannot be impossible but I am getting desparate.
Thanks in advance,
Dave. :embarrassed:
PRO New Member

Re: Dual Boot Vista and XP with SATA problem

Postby yeshuas » Sat Mar 14, 2009 6:36 pm

Squeezy wrote:Hi,
I have a new HP/Compaq PC for a friend. it came with Vista installed but he also wanted his old XP so I installed XP etc. The PC has a SATA drive with RAID option. To get XP to install I had to set the BIOS to SATA IDE and then XP was fine. I used pro to set up the boot options as I had lost vista. XP worked fine but I had a quick BSOD flash when selecting Vista and then it re booted. I finally reset the BIOS to SATA RAID (as delivered) and now Visat boots fine but when selecting XP I get a quick BSOD flash before it re boots. Do I need a later driver for XP or would the third setting, not yet tried, in the BIOS to SATA AHCD? Help please as this cannot be impossible but I am getting desparate.
Thanks in advance,
Dave. :embarrassed:

I would set the bios to the original SATA setting and check the computers manufacturers website for the SATA Raid drivers for XP for the MB, they will have to be on a floppy by the way, and you will have to reinstall XP, unless you want to keep changing the settings in the bios to boot to either OS.
Game Over!!!!!!!!
ASUS Maximus V Gene MB
Windows 8 X64; Windows 7 X64; Windows 7 X86
Intel I5-3570K
16GB Corsair Vengeance Ram
eVGA GeForce GTX 550 TI
Corsair GS700 PS
1TB Seagate SATA 6.0Gb HD
Thermaltake Case
Software Development

Return to PRO Software