A Digital Age Deserves A Digital Leader

Gentoo SMP Virtual Machine

Forum rules
Welcome to our modest though robust team of folders! You are all more than welcome to join us or ask specific questions about how to go about folding but please start a new thread to post your questions, this way nothing of importance will be lost and everyone here will help you out.

If you just want to chat folding then the Folding@Home Home thread will be great!

Re: Gentoo SMP Virtual Machine

Postby imnuts » Fri Mar 06, 2009 12:49 am

I may have to switch to something else as I can't get the virtual machine to boot after installing it, and I can't figure out what the issue is. I'm going to try out FreeBSD as that is light-weight and fast as well, so hopefully this doesn't throw to much of a wrench in the works.
PRO SUPREME

Postby c0ldfyr3 » Sat Mar 07, 2009 5:20 am

i cab host full time off any of my sites, i have 6 hosted off a quad OC12 backbone, if you would imnuts make 2 versions, 1 with a gui and one with just the Gentoo core and VMware ( and any dependencies needed ) for those of us whom use Gentoo. I moved closer to my mom and now she is getting her 2PC's in on it, and her laptop is 64bit ( though not a quadcore ) so running Gentoo on it would be great. 4GB ram and a 2.4Ghz Core 2 Duo, it should do just fine. if anything a bit more PPD for her or Bill ( my step dad on his PS3 )...
PRO Level 15

Postby c0ldfyr3 » Wed Mar 11, 2009 12:17 am

lol... i googled "gentoo SMP" and this post is 3rd...
PRO Level 15

Postby imnuts » Wed Mar 11, 2009 1:21 am

Hopefully I have a working install tonight. The last time I tried it didn't work, kept getting kernel panics during boot, but hopefully I got that sorted. Also tried setting up FreeBSD but X wasn't working, and I doubt people want to use all command-line, though it would be possible. When this is setup, it should start the SMP client automatically on boot as a service, so one wouldn't even need to log in to get points, though you will need to log in to get the points assigned to your username.

EDIT: Successfully got the system to boot. Starting up the install of Gnome/GDM/X before heading to bed, so there will hopefully be a working system soon.
PRO SUPREME

Postby imnuts » Wed Mar 11, 2009 8:38 pm

This will probably be the last update before there is an image available for testing. I have the folding client installed as well as the GUI. I'm going to add a few more items (text editor, NTP, VMWare tools, Samba?) and then it should be ready for some testing. I currently set it up so that if a random person downloads and starts it, our team will still get the credit. There will be instructions for inputting your user data then too.
PRO SUPREME

Postby yeshuas » Wed Mar 11, 2009 9:45 pm

Cool I am looking forward to testing this out :yesnod:
Game Over!!!!!!!!
ASUS Maximus V Gene MB
Windows 8 X64; Windows 7 X64; Windows 7 X86
Intel I5-3570K
16GB Corsair Vengeance Ram
eVGA GeForce GTX 550 TI
Corsair GS700 PS
1TB Seagate SATA 6.0Gb HD
Thermaltake Case
Software Development

Postby imnuts » Thu Mar 12, 2009 2:35 am

Ok, it is now "finished", at least I think it is. Currently, it's uploading to my webserver, should be done in by about midnight EDT. If you get a 404, wait a little bit longer and try again ;) What all is on the machine is Gentoo x64, GDM, Gnome, Firefox, FAHMon, Gedit, Open VMWare tools (not working properly though, will work on this one), and a few system tools for future updating. To run it, just run the self-extracting archive and put it with your other virtual machines. You may need to add it to VMWare to use it (shouldn't be hard). Once added, start it up and it will auto-login. It's setup for bridged networking and auto-detect cd-rom with 1024MB of memory allocated to the machine. Feel free to change these to whatever you want then, though I can't promise that it won't break things. Once logged in to the desktop, there is a readme file there. Open it and follow the instructions (pretty easy). The passwords for the users, if anyone wants to tinker are below. I'll take requests for more/less software and any questions people may have. The download isn't as big as I thought either, only 1.15GB currently. Hopefully this works for people. And terminal is located under Applications>Accessories. So, you can download here and the passwords are below (don't include quotes, username="password"):
Code: Select all
root="folding@home"
folding="@home"
PRO SUPREME

Postby yeshuas » Sat Mar 14, 2009 3:13 pm

Has anyone tried the Gentoo setup yet????

I am currently downloading it and will give it a shot probably later today
Game Over!!!!!!!!
ASUS Maximus V Gene MB
Intel I5-3570K
eVGA GeForce GTX 550 TI
Corsair GS700 PS
Thermaltake Case
Software Development

Postby augie » Sat Mar 14, 2009 5:55 pm

yeshuas wrote:Has anyone tried the Gentoo setup yet????

Not yet Dan, I've been having a bear of a time with the X2 Ubuntu 8.10 goes in like a dream but 8.04 keeps hanging, giving the error that the CD may be dirty or the optical needs cleaning. :confused Anyways, I'll try it either tomorrow or Monday.
Everything that irritates us about others can lead us to an understanding of ourselves. -- Carl Jung

eVGA X58 tri-SLI, i7 930 @ 3.8GHz., Corsair 6GB Dominator, Inno3D GTX470, eVGA260
ASUS P8P67 Pro, i7 2600K @4.60 GHz, 8GB RAM, eVGA GTX 460
Community Director

Postby yeshuas » Sat Mar 14, 2009 6:26 pm

augie wrote:
yeshuas wrote:Has anyone tried the Gentoo setup yet????

Not yet Dan, I've been having a bear of a time with the X2 Ubuntu 8.10 goes in like a dream but 8.04 keeps hanging, giving the error that the CD may be dirty or the optical needs cleaning. :confused Anyways, I'll try it either tomorrow or Monday.

Why don't you try using an ISO image on the harddrive instead of the one on the CD and see if that helps. I had one of mine hang up and I don't know for how many hours, at least overnight, and I had to do a reboot of that VM to get it started again.
Game Over!!!!!!!!
ASUS Maximus V Gene MB
Intel I5-3570K
eVGA GeForce GTX 550 TI
Corsair GS700 PS
Thermaltake Case
Software Development

PreviousNext

Return to Distributed Computing