A Digital Age Deserves A Digital Leader

No Video (solved)

No Video (solved)

Postby augie » Fri Mar 06, 2009 2:27 pm

I'm trying to get my old rig, an AMD X2 going. Tried the original ASUS N6200TC card, nothing. Switched it out for a 7600GT which I know was working as that card was in my quad rig until I got the new ones. Everything spins up just fine with a quality PSU. Anything else I should look at? Oh, no beeps but I didn't hook up a speaker and I don't think it has one either. ASUS A8N-E
Everything that irritates us about others can lead us to an understanding of ourselves. -- Carl Jung

eVGA X58 tri-SLI, i7 930 @ 3.8GHz., Corsair 6GB Dominator, Inno3D GTX470, eVGA260
ASUS P8P67 Pro, i7 2600K @4.60 GHz, 8GB RAM, eVGA GTX 460
Community Director

Re: No Video

Postby yeshuas » Fri Mar 06, 2009 2:42 pm

I have one of those same boards, that pooped out last summer, have you tried clearing the bios, and maybe taking the card back out and make sure nothing has gotten down into the slot like a piece of dust or anything that would sorta short it
Game Over!!!!!!!!
ASUS Maximus V Gene MB
Windows 8 X64; Windows 7 X64; Windows 7 X86
Intel I5-3570K
16GB Corsair Vengeance Ram
eVGA GeForce GTX 550 TI
Corsair GS700 PS
1TB Seagate SATA 6.0Gb HD
Thermaltake Case
Software Development

Postby JabbaPapa » Fri Mar 06, 2009 4:11 pm

Does it show BIOS options, or just complete blackscreen ?

One thing you could try, apart from clearing CMOS, would be to set the frequency jumpers to the lowest setting -- but yeh, it's probably just bad CMOS configuration as suggested by Daniel :)
PRO VETERAN

Postby augie » Sat Mar 07, 2009 6:14 am

yeshuas wrote:I have one of those same boards, that pooped out last summer, have you tried clearing the bios, and maybe taking the card back out and make sure nothing has gotten down into the slot like a piece of dust or anything that would sorta short it

Not yet as I re-injured my rib moving this thing around, I'll check it tomorrow.

JabbaPapa wrote:Does it show BIOS options, or just complete blackscreen ?

One thing you could try, apart from clearing CMOS, would be to set the frequency jumpers to the lowest setting -- but yeh, it's probably just bad CMOS configuration as suggested by Daniel :)

Completely black screen upon boot and I have never touched the frequency jumpers, I believe this is a jumperless board, I'd have to check the manual. I'll try to clear the CMOS first, maybe the battery died. I've got a DVOM to check it. Thanks guys.
Everything that irritates us about others can lead us to an understanding of ourselves. -- Carl Jung

eVGA X58 tri-SLI, i7 930 @ 3.8GHz., Corsair 6GB Dominator, Inno3D GTX470, eVGA260
Community Director

Postby augie » Thu Mar 12, 2009 6:38 pm

Ok, took me a bit longer than I thought. :embarrassed: OK, I cleared the BIOS and I got in though I was able to change the time but not the date, Jan 01, 2006. Took me a while to figure out the IDE drive jumpers too. :embarrassed: :embarrassed: Strangely, I kept getting a Vixta error message on three different drives. I know I tried Vixta but all three drives didn't see it, I believe only one drive should know what that is. :confused

Anyways, I'm loading up an Ubuntu LiveCD x64 ATM, getting tons of buffer I/O errors on sr0 ATM. I think I'm going to kill that and try an old Knoppix 3.3 LiveCD. This might have something to do with my inability to change the BIOS date, I really don't know.

At least I'm getting some value from this KVM switch as it's the first time I get to use it after 5 years. :embarrassed: :lol: I don't have to sit and watch something error out all day long! :uhhh :bashhead

Community Director

Postby yeshuas » Thu Mar 12, 2009 6:56 pm

augie wrote:Ok, took me a bit longer than I thought. :embarrassed: OK, I cleared the BIOS and I got in though I was able to change the time but not the date, Jan 01, 2006. Took me a while to figure out the IDE drive jumpers too. :embarrassed: :embarrassed: Strangely, I kept getting a Vixta error message on three different drives. I know I tried Vixta but all three drives didn't see it, I believe only one drive should know what that is. :confused

Anyways, I'm loading up an Ubuntu LiveCD x64 ATM, getting tons of buffer I/O errors on sr0 ATM. I think I'm going to kill that and try an old Knoppix 3.3 LiveCD. This might have something to do with my inability to change the BIOS date, I really don't know.

At least I'm getting some value from this KVM switch as it's the first time I get to use it after 5 years. :embarrassed: :lol: I don't have to sit and watch something error out all day long! :uhhh :bashhead

I am sory to hear that, as that is the kind of errors I was getting on mine when it crapped out. I did not even check the date to see if it was correct
Game Over!!!!!!!!
ASUS Maximus V Gene MB
Intel I5-3570K
eVGA GeForce GTX 550 TI
Corsair GS700 PS
Thermaltake Case
Software Development

Postby augie » Thu Mar 12, 2009 6:58 pm

Well, I can't get back into the BIOS after clearing it again. I'll get a new battery and see what happens. If that works then I'll definitely need a new chipset fan, it whines like a jet engine until the thing warms up. *sigh* the rig is some 3.5 years old, I can't believe that just sitting around gave me all these problems. :confused

Community Director

Postby yeshuas » Thu Mar 12, 2009 7:05 pm

augie wrote:Well, I can't get back into the BIOS after clearing it again. I'll get a new battery and see what happens. If that works then I'll definitely need a new chipset fan, it whines like a jet engine until the thing warms up. *sigh* the rig is some 3.5 years old, I can't believe that just sitting around gave me all these problems. :confused

Well don't buy a new fan, I have a brand new one sitting here on my desk and it is made just for that motherboard, the new revision that they made when they realized the original fan was junk.
Game Over!!!!!!!!
ASUS Maximus V Gene MB
Intel I5-3570K
eVGA GeForce GTX 550 TI
Corsair GS700 PS
Thermaltake Case
Software Development

Postby augie » Thu Mar 12, 2009 8:30 pm

Unbelievable man! There must be a loose wire or something and I'll have to tear this sucker apart and put it back together. I got Vista installed though I should have put XP in as I have the license. *cough* :whistle :lol: This should last me long enough.;) Oh, deleting the various partitions was what got my very old HDD going, must have been a bad MBR.

BTW Dan, PM me your paypal addy and cost of part and shipping if you don't need that chipset fan. :yesnod:

Community Director

Re: No Video(solved)

Postby augie » Fri Mar 13, 2009 2:11 pm

Well, I tore it apart and put it back together again and it boots properly everytime now. :yesnod: Whatever I did got rid of the intermittent booting problem. ^*^ Oh, the proper way to enter the month was to hit the number of the month and not the letters. :confused :pc Anyways, it's crunching away now. :yesnod: Thanks for the help all! :notworthy

Community Director

Return to Hardware and Customizing