A Digital Age Deserves A Digital Leader

Gentoo SMP Virtual Machine

Forum rules
Welcome to our modest though robust team of folders! You are all more than welcome to join us or ask specific questions about how to go about folding but please start a new thread to post your questions, this way nothing of importance will be lost and everyone here will help you out.

If you just want to chat folding then the Folding@Home Home thread will be great!

Gentoo SMP Virtual Machine

Postby imnuts » Wed Mar 04, 2009 3:34 am

What I'm going to attempt to do is setup a virtual machine that has nearly everything already configured for someone to fold for our team in a Linux virtual machine. What it is going to be is a fully 64-bit installation of Gentoo running the linux SMP client. The system will autologin (hopefully) and also have instructions for configuration and getting the program to run automatically upon the virtual machine starting up. There will be a GNOME GUI with GDM for logging in, Firefox, and some basic tools, but that will be about it. I'm also going to try and install VMWare Tools for file sharing and other options. I chose Gentoo as it's the easiest IMO, to get streamlined, and this will hopefully only require VMWare Player to run when finished. It will be tough for me to test it as I'm running a single SMP Client for all of my folding on this system as I don't have a capable GPU, so I'll upload it for testing to my webserver by those interested and will customize it for feedback. Due to the nature of the filesize of a virtual machine, "builds" will be sporadic during testing and after it's final. I'll be sure to document updating as well. If any major changes come along (GUI/Base/F@H), I'll try to keep things up-to-date and upload new builds periodically.
PRO SUPREME

Re: Gentoo SMP Virtual Machine

Postby yeshuas » Wed Mar 04, 2009 3:38 am

Is the host going to need to be 64 bit too, or will the VM Player run under say Vista X86
Game Over!!!!!!!!
ASUS Maximus V Gene MB
Windows 8 X64; Windows 7 X64; Windows 7 X86
Intel I5-3570K
16GB Corsair Vengeance Ram
eVGA GeForce GTX 550 TI
Corsair GS700 PS
1TB Seagate SATA 6.0Gb HD
Thermaltake Case
Software Development

Postby imnuts » Wed Mar 04, 2009 3:42 am

yeshuas wrote:Is the host going to need to be 64 bit too, or will the VM Player run under say Vista X86

I think that as long as the processor on the system is capable of 64-bit, the latest versions of VMWare are able to run it as well, though I could be wrong. I chose 64-bit just due to it being better with memory and also the Stanford page saying that the Linux SMP client is 64-bit only. If that isn't the case, I can certainly work out a 32-bit version as it will be simple to do once the first one is setup as most things will be identical between the two.
PRO SUPREME

Postby yeshuas » Wed Mar 04, 2009 3:50 am

I am running 64 bit VMWare server on 2 X86 systems so yes I believe it will run on X86 I just didn't know how you were going to configure yours, but I would be interested to try it when you get done :yesnod:

The only trouble I have run into so far is getting VM Tools to install, just can't get it to go for some reason
Game Over!!!!!!!!
ASUS Maximus V Gene MB
Intel I5-3570K
eVGA GeForce GTX 550 TI
Corsair GS700 PS
Thermaltake Case
Software Development

Postby augie » Wed Mar 04, 2009 9:12 am

Excellent imnuts!!! I was going to split your other posts off of the other thread. I'll leave them there now. :) I believe there's five of us with Intel quads and I'm sure we'll all participate in alpha/beta testing, at least I know I will. :drool: I'm fairly sure resources can be made available here so that you won't have to host the file, I'm assuming here that it will be a small executable with the user requiring to grab the main stuff on their own.

LOL, it almost feels like Christmas, I'm getting more memory today to run a second VM and getting my AMD X2 rig up and running in native Ubuntu SMP! :yahoo: Well, that's the plan as it stands ATM. As I'm moving to X64 Vista at the same time, this might take me a tad longer than I expected to accomplish. :pc

Oh, VM SMP has to be run under 64 bit *nix unless you can work some magic! :notworthy :lol: Man, thanks for the effort Mark! It is really appreciated. :) BTW, I know of a good folding site where you will get a whole bunch of eager Intel based beta testers but first things first, we'll put it through the mill. :yesnod: ^*^
Everything that irritates us about others can lead us to an understanding of ourselves. -- Carl Jung

eVGA X58 tri-SLI, i7 930 @ 3.8GHz., Corsair 6GB Dominator, Inno3D GTX470, eVGA260
ASUS P8P67 Pro, i7 2600K @4.60 GHz, 8GB RAM, eVGA GTX 460
Community Director

Postby imnuts » Wed Mar 04, 2009 10:50 am

I'm going to host the full virtual machine file. ATM, it's ~2.5GB, and hosting it is no issue. I have plenty of disk space and bandwidth available and use barely any of it for site traffic.

VMWare Tools, from my experience has been a real PITA with Linux virtual machines, even one's where the settings are pre-configured. I was always able to get them to work, but could never get them to start automatically when the virtual machine powered on. I'll work on it then, and hopefully I'll have most of it done tonight after getting home from work.
PRO SUPREME

Postby augie » Wed Mar 04, 2009 11:34 am

imnuts wrote:I'm going to host the full virtual machine file. ATM, it's ~2.5GB, and hosting it is no issue. I have plenty of disk space and bandwidth available and use barely any of it for site traffic.

VMWare Tools, from my experience has been a real PITA with Linux virtual machines, even one's where the settings are pre-configured. I was always able to get them to work, but could never get them to start automatically when the virtual machine powered on. I'll work on it then, and hopefully I'll have most of it done tonight after getting home from work.

So much for my assumptions of a small file! :lol: :embarrassed: ^*^
Everything that irritates us about others can lead us to an understanding of ourselves. -- Carl Jung

eVGA X58 tri-SLI, i7 930 @ 3.8GHz., Corsair 6GB Dominator, Inno3D GTX470, eVGA260
ASUS P8P67 Pro, i7 2600K @4.60 GHz, 8GB RAM, eVGA GTX 460
Community Director

Postby BILLMCC66 » Wed Mar 04, 2009 3:59 pm

Well when you get it up and running I am in the beta pack with the others.
Good luck
STILL LEARNING

LOGIC CAN GET YOU FROM A TO B BUT IMAGINATION CAN GET YOU ANYWHERE
PRO Level 8

Postby e to the x » Thu Mar 05, 2009 1:42 am

As long as it won't screw up my install and works in W7 then I am game to help test as well. I am going to try to get folding again, now that my system is finally stable.
~Main Rig~
Phenom II X6
GA-870a-UD3
8 GB Corsair DDR3-1333
eVGA 9800GT
WD Black 500 GB
WD Black 1 TB
WD Green 1 TB
Seagate 250 GB
W7 x64
~Audio Stream Rig~
Athlon XP 2000+
MSI Motherboard
1 GB DDR-400
SoundBlaster Audigy2
160 GB HDD
WinXP
PROfessional Member

Postby yeshuas » Thu Mar 05, 2009 1:57 am

e to the x wrote:As long as it won't screw up my install and works in W7 then I am game to help test as well. I am going to try to get folding again, now that my system is finally stable.

I am running Windows 7 X86 and using VMWare 64 server / running a VM of Ubuntu 64 and folding a SMP client per Augie's instructions here multi-core-smp-in-vmware-1-08-installation-guide-t104869.html
Game Over!!!!!!!!
ASUS Maximus V Gene MB
Intel I5-3570K
eVGA GeForce GTX 550 TI
Corsair GS700 PS
Thermaltake Case
Software Development

Next

Return to Distributed Computing