A Digital Age Deserves A Digital Leader

Installing Ubuntu in VMWare issue.

Forum rules
Welcome to our modest though robust team of folders! You are all more than welcome to join us or ask specific questions about how to go about folding but please start a new thread to post your questions, this way nothing of importance will be lost and everyone here will help you out.

If you just want to chat folding then the Folding@Home Home thread will be great!

Re: Installing Ubuntu in VMWare issue.

Postby augie » Mon Mar 02, 2009 3:39 pm

yeshuas wrote:When I downloaded the FAH client, I downloaded the 6.24 beta was that correct?????????

Absolutely Dan, that's the one! :yesnod:
Everything that irritates us about others can lead us to an understanding of ourselves. -- Carl Jung

eVGA X58 tri-SLI, i7 930 @ 3.8GHz., Corsair 6GB Dominator, Inno3D GTX470, eVGA260
ASUS P8P67 Pro, i7 2600K @4.60 GHz, 8GB RAM, eVGA GTX 460
Community Director

Postby augie » Mon Mar 02, 2009 4:13 pm

BILLMCC66 wrote:Yo Dan great workImage
We are almost at the best position the team has been just a few more days and we should crack it.
It's a shame we can't get some more big hitters because i think with my present set up i am just about maxed out.Image

Yup Bill, the best we ever had was at #308! It's kind of strange with such a small team that we'd be even close to there. :blink My extra 2 gigs memory plus some other HW is enroute ATM and I should have it Wed. or Thurs. I'll try adding a second VM SMP on my quad and I'll have an AMD dual to play with too. I'll let you guys know if the second VM slows one's rig down.

BTW Bill, you could add another 260 if your mobo has the slot. :whistle :lol:
Everything that irritates us about others can lead us to an understanding of ourselves. -- Carl Jung

eVGA X58 tri-SLI, i7 930 @ 3.8GHz., Corsair 6GB Dominator, Inno3D GTX470, eVGA260
Community Director

Postby yeshuas » Mon Mar 02, 2009 4:15 pm

augie wrote:
BILLMCC66 wrote:Yo Dan great workImage
We are almost at the best position the team has been just a few more days and we should crack it.
It's a shame we can't get some more big hitters because i think with my present set up i am just about maxed out.Image

Yup Bill, the best we ever had was at #308! It's kind of strange with such a small team that we'd be even close to there. :blink My extra 2 gigs memory plus some other HW is enroute ATM and I should have it Wed. or Thurs. I'll try adding a second VM SMP on my quad and I'll have an AMD dual SMP to play with too. I'll let you guys know if the second VM slows one's rig down.

how do go about starting another one?
Game Over!!!!!!!!
ASUS Maximus V Gene MB
Windows 8 X64; Windows 7 X64; Windows 7 X86
Intel I5-3570K
16GB Corsair Vengeance Ram
eVGA GeForce GTX 550 TI
Corsair GS700 PS
1TB Seagate SATA 6.0Gb HD
Thermaltake Case
Software Development

Postby BILLMCC66 » Mon Mar 02, 2009 4:20 pm

In theory we can run 4 VMs but whether it's practical or not for folding i don't know?
STILL LEARNING

LOGIC CAN GET YOU FROM A TO B BUT IMAGINATION CAN GET YOU ANYWHERE
PRO Level 8

Postby augie » Mon Mar 02, 2009 5:12 pm

BILLMCC66 wrote:In theory we can run 4 VMs but whether it's practical or not for folding i don't know?

Nope, not practical at all as you'll have the overhead of 4 VMs and have to run uniprocessor clients on each, you saw what that did to Dan. Two VMs is max for a single quad setting affinity to cores 0 and 1 to the first VM and cores 2 and 3 to the second.

There is a way to clone one's current VM but I haven't remembered it yet and you'd have to clean out the current folding folder and start fresh. It's still quicker than reloading Ubuntu on the second instance. If you wish Dan, just start a new VM and do what you did originally but I can't give you any support here, not yet anyways.:) File/new or Ctrl+n.

Hang on for a bit there, I'll find out how. :yesnod: I think I just caught an uber folder. :()

Community Director

Postby imnuts » Mon Mar 02, 2009 8:56 pm

augie wrote:
BILLMCC66 wrote:There is a way to clone one's current VM but I haven't remembered it yet and you'd have to clean out the current folding folder and start fresh. It's still quicker than reloading Ubuntu on the second instance. If you wish Dan, just start a new VM and do what you did originally but I can't give you any support here, not yet anyways.:)

I haven't used VMWare for a little bit, but I think that when the virtual machine is powered off, there is an option under one of the menus to clone the virtual machine.
PRO SUPREME

Postby yeshuas » Tue Mar 03, 2009 1:27 am

augie wrote:
BILLMCC66 wrote:In theory we can run 4 VMs but whether it's practical or not for folding i don't know?

Nope, not practical at all as you'll have the overhead of 4 VMs and have to run uniprocessor clients on each, you saw what that did to Dan. Two VMs is max for a single quad setting affinity to cores 0 and 1 to the first VM and cores 2 and 3 to the second.

There is a way to clone one's current VM but I haven't remembered it yet and you'd have to clean out the current folding folder and start fresh. It's still quicker than reloading Ubuntu on the second instance. If you wish Dan, just start a new VM and do what you did originally but I can't give you any support here, not yet anyways.:) File/new or Ctrl+n.

Hang on for a bit there, I'll find out how. :yesnod: I think I just caught an uber folder. :()

Obee Kaybee, I am trying to run two instances as we speak, just pretty much duplicated what I did before, as far as creating a new VM and then installing Ubuntu accept, I had it use an ISO that I had on the harddrive, went a lot faster that way and then of course downloaded the SMP client and away we go. cross your fingers and toes, and all that. :yesnod:
Game Over!!!!!!!!
ASUS Maximus V Gene MB
Intel I5-3570K
eVGA GeForce GTX 550 TI
Corsair GS700 PS
Thermaltake Case
Software Development

Postby yeshuas » Tue Mar 03, 2009 2:08 am

The second instance is taking about 25 minutes per percent, but the first instance seems to have picked up speed and is now doing a percent in about 5 minutes ^*^
Game Over!!!!!!!!
ASUS Maximus V Gene MB
Intel I5-3570K
eVGA GeForce GTX 550 TI
Corsair GS700 PS
Thermaltake Case
Software Development

Postby BILLMCC66 » Tue Mar 03, 2009 7:36 am

For some reason my VM completed a run then shut down at 18.00 last night without sending the results, so it looks as though i have lost those points,i will restart it now 08.00 Tuesday and see how we go.
STILL LEARNING

PRO Level 8

Postby BILLMCC66 » Tue Mar 03, 2009 7:47 am

I restarted and this is what i get.
Attachments
2009-03-03_084553.jpg
2009-03-03_084553.jpg (185 KiB) Viewed 2467 times
STILL LEARNING

PRO Level 8